We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about how to tour Grapefest

Which Grapevine hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mckinney, texas
reviews: 2
Confused about how to tour Grapefest

A group of friends and myself will be driving over from McKinney to spend the night and tour Grapefest on Saturday. My questions:

1. What is a "weekend pass pin?' Is that different than "admission?" Is the pin all inclusive of wine tasting pavillion fees?

2. Is there a hotel within walking distance to the downtown festivities?

3. How does one go about touring the pavillions? Are you shuttled over there? Is there a fee to sample the wines?

4. The best winery to tour? Is there a shuttle for that?

5. It'll be hot. Are there places to cool off?

6. Is there seating in front of the music stages? Chairs, or grassy seating?

I haved scoured the internet looking for answers. Can't find any. Any and all advise is welcome. Thank you!

Kerens,Texas
reviews: 99
1. Re: Confused about how to tour Grapefest

You do mean Saturday as in September 18, right?

1) The "weekend pass pin" covers admission to Grapefest for the whole weekend whereas "admission" would be one day at a time. Neither covers any of the food, drink or winne. You buy coupons there and pay as you go- kind of like the State Fair. Coupons are 50 cents- a glass of wine is usually 7-9 coupons.

2) No hotels within walking distance although several are offering packages that include transportation to and from Grapefest.

https:/…hotels.html

3) Grapefest covers a relarge area of downtown but everything is there, on site, no need to shuttle, other than the ones for parking.

4) If you want to see grapevines and such, I think Delaney Vineyard is your best bet. It is the only one that is not located in the downtown area.

delaneyvineyards.com/tour_tasting/tour.htm

http://www.grapevinewinetrail.com/

5) I don't remember if there were misters out the last time we were there but there a few shady spots here and there plus the pavilions.

6) There are some chairs but I don't remember any grassy areas.

mckinney, texas
reviews: 2
2. Re: Confused about how to tour Grapefest

Surely you don't have to pay $4.50 per pour for each wine that I would want to taste. Who can afford that? I thought there were samplings (small amount) of wines in each pavillion. Is this not the case?

Kerens,Texas
3. Re: Confused about how to tour Grapefest

When last I spoke to the Grapevine CVB that is what I was told. Here is their phone number: 800.457.6338

And here is some clarification about shuttles

https:/…Shuttle.html

Good luck with your on-going research

Edited: 10:33 pm, August 12, 2010
Texas
reviews: 109
4. Re: Confused about how to tour Grapefest

Best way to sample the largest variety of wines is to pay for the People's Choice Tasting. Cost is $20, and you can sample a large number of Texas wines. The downside is that it is sort of like a cattle call. You have to line up at your designated time, and then they let you(and a couple hundred of your closest friends) into the tent to taste.

Kerens,Texas
5. Re: Confused about how to tour Grapefest

Yep, we did that once and cattle call is quite the apt description!

6. Re: Confused about how to tour Grapefest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 10, 2011