We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Dallas to Galveston

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 11
Driving from Dallas to Galveston

Is there anywhere nice to stop for an hour or so? Need to break up the trip so my child does not get too bored/cranky in the car :)

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 179
1. Re: Driving from Dallas to Galveston

Nothing really great, but in Centerville, there's a place called Frank's (I think). I think it's on both sides of I-45, but I've only visited the one on the east side. It's got pretty good BBQ, jerky, etc., is clean, you can eat at tables inside, there are plenty of souvenirs, it's got gasoline, etc. It's roughly halfway from Dallas to Houston, which would still leave you roughly 3 hours to Galveston. (I've never been to a Buc-ees, but I'd imagine it's like a lesser version of one.)

If you wanted to go a little further south, you'd really need to go into Conroe or The Woodlands, but nothing specifically like the above recommendation.

East Tx
reviews: 8
2. Re: Driving from Dallas to Galveston

We drive down from Tyler/Longview area every year with little ones and usually just keep them up later and wake them early. They usually sleep most of the way and the kindle keeps them busy the rest of the way. We have stopped in Kemah but to stay overnight. We have found that they don't like stopping and going and ours would just rather wake up and be there, or near enough to sit and look out the window. Good luck.

DFW
reviews: 82
3. Re: Driving from Dallas to Galveston

Stop at Buc-ees in Madisonville, TX. About 3- 3.5 hours from DFW. It's a MUST stop! Kids or not!

4. Re: Driving from Dallas to Galveston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 22, 2014