We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plano, Texas
reviews: 14
Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

Just moved to Texas about a year ago, and am looking into taking my fiance' to Galveston for his birthday weekend. What are some must-see's? Which beach would be the best to go to? (Tentative dates we will be there is June 13th-16th). Any restaurant recommendations? We are very active 28 year old's, love all types of food, enjoy tourist attractions, etc. I appreciate your help!

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 99
1. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

Here is a run-down on the beach descriptions http://www.galveston.com/beachparks/ . There are also beaches along the seawall that are free, parking is rough sometimes and I think you have to pay now. There are some beaches west of Galveston: Jamaica Beach, Indian Beach, etc

Our favorite restaurants: Papa's Pizza on the seawall, Gumbo Bar on Post Office in the Strand area, and Mosquito Café. Our favorite desert place is La King's Confectionary in The Strand; this is an old-fashioned ice cream shop setting with homemade candy, too. The Spot and Joe's Crab Shack are also good options on the seawall.

Surely you heard that Galveston was hit by Hurricane Ike a few years back. You'll see the high water mark line from Ike at La King's and Schlitterbahn. Take the tree sculpture tour and see the remains of some of the gorgeous trees they had http://www.galveston.com/treesculpturetour/

You will be here during the Juneteenth Celebration, just so you are aware http://www.galveston.com/juneteenth/

There are so many things to see and do here, y'all will have a great time.

We enjoy the Bishop's Palace and Moody Mansion tours http://www.galveston.com/historichomes/

Schlitterbahn water park and Pleasure Pier (amusement park are always good too.

A lot of people like Moody Gardens. Sea Wolf Park is interesting, but will not be comfortable unless visiting early morning.

The ghost tours are also interesting.

Welcome to Texas and have a great time!!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 209
2. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

A couple of recommendations on higher-end restaurants you might enjoy: Paco and Rudy's, which arguably is the best in town, and Shearn's, atop the Moody Gardens hotel, which not only has great food, but undoubtedly the best view on the island. Neither is over the top price-wise, but they're more expensive than most in Galveston.

You might check to see what's playing at the opera house (I'm drawing a blank on the full name, but surely someone will provide that for you), as they put on some great shows, practically never operas.

If you can delay your celebration one week until after the Juneteenth celebration, you'll have the ability to see and do things more easily, as the island really gets crowded that week, and particularly that weekend. It's almost like Mardi Gras in New Orleans as far as partying goes, so be prepared not to get a whole lot of sleep if you go that week. Hotel reservations may also be hard to come by at this point.

Have fun!

Plano, Texas
3. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

Thank you both so much for the recommendations! I have decided to delay the trip until the next weekend, just because I was reading about the celebration and it seems like the hotel prices have jacked up a bit since I last checked. Plus, I think we would both prefer to relax more instead of party everyday.

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
4. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

That sounds like a good decision, but prices are probably fairly high all summer, as that is their high season. Good luck!

Plano, Texas
5. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

Is there anywhere that has great live music?

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
6. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

When we go, we usually rent a beach house and stay in, so I'm not familiar with places that would have it. You might check with Galveston Chamber of Commerce or Galveston Convention & Visitors Council, and I'm sure they could guide you. There may be other sites, as well.

The last time I was at Shearn's for happy hour, they did have a little combo (piano, bass & drums), but I don't think that's what you're looking for. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Plano, Texas
7. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

Another quick question: We are getting a rental car because I don't want to put miles on my car. We are in Plano, and the fastest way to get to Galveston looks to be I-45 S. Are there tolls along that route, or anywhere near Galveston? I'd like to know so I can determine if I need to get the toll-tag option with my rental car. Thanks!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
8. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

Interesting that you ask that--on the front page of today's Houston Chronicle, there's an article stating that "...after May 18...A 15.5 mile stretch of I-45 where the Metropolitan Transit Authority maintains carpool/toll lanes will open on Saturdays and Sundays..." As I read it, it will be optional, not required, but it might well be worth it to avoid the weekend traffic tie-up. That should be the only toll road you should be required to use (although others are available).

9. Re: Never been to Galveston....planning a weekend getaway!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 28, 2014