We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
reviews: 53
Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

Hello, we are Aussies going on a cruise out of Galveston (like lots of other lucky people!) and I'm trying to figure the cheapest and best way to get from Houston to Galveston. I've read about shuttle services, limousine services, taxis and the like but I haven't seen anything about trains or buses. Does this mean there aren't any or is this not a good idea? Thank you so much for your help, in advance!

42 replies to this topic
Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 93
1. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

I know there are no trains. Haven't seen any bus service.

Unfortunately, shuttles, taxi, etc is the way to get there.

Happy cruising!!

Empuriabrava, Spain
reviews: 23
2. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

Hi we are cruising from Galveston on April 21st and looking for a taxi from George Bush airport on 20th.

It looks like 150 dollars cheapest car. The shuttle bus is not much cheaper.

Minnesota
reviews: 188
3. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

If you are going on a cruise, I would suggest going on cruisecritic.com and joining the page that has your ship sailing. Many people on our sailing posted a message looking to hook up with others at the airports they are arriving at. Several of us have organized shuttles/limo to leave from the airports at different times to go either to the hotel in Galveston for the night or directly to the cruise terminal on the day of the sailing. For instance, I have a shuttle arranged for our group for people arriving at the airport from 3-5pm. Another group has a shuttle leaving the airport around noon, etc... That is your best and most economical option. The shuttle for ($178+tips) divided by 8 or 10 = less than $25 per person. To do this go to the cruisecritic.com website, find your ship page, then look through the forum for your specific sailing date; post a message on that board that you are looking to share a ride from the airport you are arriving at (either Houston IAH Bush or Houston Hobby). Then check that same page for posts from people interested in sharing rides.

Brisbane, Australia
4. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

Ahhh, yes, MNSandSeeker! I see exactly what you mean. There will be 4 of us to start with so we only need to get another 4 or 6 people to get the shuttle. I'll have a scout around on cruisecritic.com and see what I can find there. Thanks for your help - much appreciated!

Surrey
reviews: 20
5. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

You might try texasairportcar.com (832-891-9690). They took us door to door, hotel in Galveston to hotel at Houston International Airport for less than the cost of a taxi from Houston to Galveston.

Brisbane, Australia
6. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

Thanks SurreyRetiree. I've had a look at their website and it looks good. That gives me a few options now :)

Castro Valley...
7. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

I notice that Amtrak has a bus that goes from Houston to Galveston, but law requires that Amtrak only sell its bus service along with a train ride.

Edmond, Oklahoma
reviews: 6
8. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

I know this is an old post, but we typically fly in to Houston, rent a car at the airport from Enterprise, return the car in Galveston, and take a short inexpensive cab ride to the terminal from there. Typically will save you some money and gives you the freedom to what you want in between. We are cruising in Nov if anyone is interested in sharing a ride.

Encinitas...
9. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

Thank you for the info. I called Mr. Johnson & he's alot less expensive. $95 for two people. We'll use his service whenever we go to Galveston. Thx again. Happy travels.

Encinitas...
10. Re: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston

Thx SurreyRetiree

Reply to: Any bus or train from Houston to Galveston
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted