We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas October 2012

Which Galveston hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wrexham, United...
reviews: 16
Texas October 2012

Hi...Need advice about best places to visit.Have 17days beginning October with car hire.Landing in Houston.Realise distances are great,so want to keep to gulf coast,Hill Country and Prairies and lakes.Suggestions pls.Also, how long would i need to spend in each area,and what would the weather be like? Would probably like to visit San antonio and Dallas and South Padre Isand.

Thanks

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 102
1. Re: Texas October 2012

October will be a nice time to visit...no too hot at this time. We are still pretty warm this time of year, so pack shorts.

How much time for each place will depend on what you want to see and your interests. Seventeen days is a long time and you'll be able to see most of these places.

Not knowing what you want to see/do, I would start with just 2-3 days in Houston and 2-3 days in Galveston (skip South Padre). Head to the Hill Country for the bulk of stay, as there is alot to see. Do a day trip to the Rancho Cortez dude ranch. Then head towards Dallas/Ft Worth for the last few days.

Welcome to Texas!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
2. Re: Texas October 2012

The drive to SPI from Corpus Christi is not very exciting but the drive from Galveston to Port Aransas is attractive staying along the coast as much as possible with Wetlands and SPs. Take the free ferry to Port Aransas for some time at the beach maybe. From PA you can drive to San Antonio and Hill Country. October is a great time of year for a visit.

Texas
reviews: 53
3. Re: Texas October 2012

Agree, October is a great time...still sunny and warm, but not HOT.

South Padre is our best beach, however it's so far south and not much else around of real interest IMO. Years ago, we'd walk across the border and spend a day shopping and drinking in Matamores, MX, but now I'm too spooked by the drug issues to do that anymore.

Galveston has a ton of history and wonderful old architecture to see...Bishop's Palace, Moody Mansion, The Strand. Do that for a couple of days then go back to Houston, they have some wonderful museums.

Hill Country and San Antonio is really nice. In SA check out the Alamo, the Riverwalk Area, then drive up toward Austin. Check out Hyatt Regency Lost Pines, great resort. So many cool spots in Austin, a google search will render lots of options for lots of tastes and activity levels.

Have fun - Fall is a great time to visit TX.

Aubrey, Texas
reviews: 145
4. Re: Texas October 2012

Here's the link to a triangle route around Texas. With the fast interstates and main highways, distances don't mean the same thing as in the UK so you can comfortably cover more territory than you think. tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr…

My advice is to include Dallas-Ft. Worth in the itinerary. The Stockyards in FW are unique in my experience and a hell of a lot of fun. Your timing is good for the State Fair of Texas in Dallas which is also great. Typically, the temps have cooled and N Tex is pleasant. http://www.bigtex.com/sft/

Arlington, TX
5. Re: Texas October 2012

I would agree with most of the above. Galveston, besides being a great beach town, has lots of history and Victorian architecture. However, if you're European (it seems that way by your post), you probably won't be super-impressed. Houston & especially Dallas are very cosmopolitan--lots of great attractions of the kind you find in any big city. Dallas does have the JFK memorial and "Sixth Floor" museum dedicated to the assassination. For pure Texas flavor, nothing beats Fort Worth, especially the Stockyards area. Also, the downtown is nice and compact--park your car and walk to everything. San Antonio has the Alamo, which is disappointing, and the Riverwalk, which is fun but a steamy tourist trap. I would agree that while SPI is our best beach, it's too far from everything else to fit into your schedule.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
6. Re: Texas October 2012

Alamo may not be that impressive from the outside it's an historic place and you really should not miss it imo.

Houston, TX
reviews: 26
7. Re: Texas October 2012

The cities are nice, but definitely try to spend some time enjoying the Hill country! All up and down 290 between Frederickburg and Austin are beautiful wineries! October is harvest season! And don't forget Pernales Falls, Guadeloupe state park, and Hamilton pool. All of these places are incredibly beautiful! Might be a tad bit cold for swimming, but the hiking is still great! If you can make over to Lost Maples, even better! It's the only place in Texas where we have Maple trees whose leaves change color. And if you really, really want to enjoy Texas, go to a Dude Ranch in Bandera!! There are so many things to do in this state!

There's also the Six Flags theme parks in SA and Dallas. Personally, I would skip Dallas and stick with Hill country, Austin, Houston, Galveston, Port Aransas, and even South Padre if you feel like it.

East Bernard, Texas
reviews: 35
8. Re: Texas October 2012

Between Houston & Galveston is the Johnson Space Center, which you might find interesting. You can tour the facility & see Mission Control & the training room for the space shuttle. I think the State Fair of Texas in Dallas is a great idea! I, too, wouldn't miss the Alamo in San Antonio - you can almost feel the ghosts. The facade is very beautiful @ night. The Riverwalk in SA is an experience, but I agree about not eating there. SA has some really good Mexican food, but you won't find it on the Riverwalk. It might be fun if you could catch a football game sometime while here. October is a wonderful time to come - weather is nice & there shouldn't be as many crowds. When planning your itinerary, ask about the amount of time it takes to get to places. We're used to driving a few hours to get places b/c it's such a big state, but coming from the UK , your definition of "not far" might be different from ours. Have a wonderful trip!

Orange
reviews: 33
9. Re: Texas October 2012

We are going to try several ghost tours in Galveston this October. The island has a rich history of natural disasters and destruction. It holds one of the largest Victorian Era homes in the country. Alot of the old mansions are full of history and amazing architecture

Austin, Texas
reviews: 6
10. Re: Texas October 2012

Try to include Fredericksburg. It is a long 5 block plus stretch of street with shops, restaurants, art galleries, wine, ice cream, Texas gifts, quilt shops, and more.

www.fgtx.org

Then go to You Tube and do a search of videos on Fredericksburg and you can see the actual street I'm talking about.

Also, F is famous for it's Bed And Breakfast. Hundreds to choose from !

Also, You Tube is a great place to see cities we mentioned. Gives you an idea of what you will be seeing. Especially nice are the videos on the San Antonio Riverwalk.