We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

holiday to Texas and then las vegas

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derry, United...
reviews: 15
holiday to Texas and then las vegas

Hi,my husband and i are planning on travelling from Ireland to Texas and then Vegas?firstly,which should we do first.were thinking Texas as we can fly cheaper and easier home from Vegas?????we have friends that we will be visiting in fort worth,but should we stay there the whole time or jus a couple of days.were planning on 4\5 nights Vegas, 9\10 nights Texas.please help.also ideas on places to stay in both and things to do would be greatly appreciated.its not a budget holiday but were not going crazy either.wanna get booking asap so please help

5 replies to this topic
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 194
1. Re: holiday to Texas and then las vegas

Smileen--Your point about airfares is well taken. We have an airline called Southwest Airllines, which is generally very inexpensive, runs quite efficiently, has no baggage fees for the first two bags per passenger, and does not show on the websites such as kayak, priceline, etc.: southwest.com/html/…

You could possibly fly into Los Angeles (LAX) and make a connection from there to Las Vegas (LAS), and from Las Vegas to Dallas Love Field (DAL), then have your friends pick you up there or take the train to Ft Worth, 30 miles away. Then, when leaving, fly from DAL to LAX.

Alternatively, you could fly directly into DFW, midway between Dallas and Ft Worth, but you'd still need to get to DAL to go to LAS. Check to see which ticketing is less expensive for you.

There are other cities well worth visiting in Texas. From Ft Worth, it would be well worth the roughly 4-hour drive down to the Austin/San Antonio/Hill Country area for 3-4 days to get a completely different look at our state. If you're uncomfortable driving here, it's virtually all on Interstate (divided) highways, so it's actually pretty easy, although the more scenic route is on US 287, which is not necessarily divided at all times.

Welcome to our fair state. Erin and Texas go bragh!

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
reviews: 342
2. Re: holiday to Texas and then las vegas

There are also "charter" flights between Dallas n Vegas-Funjet and Suncountry are two and often quite affordable. I agree to check out Austin/San Antonio. I think you are spreading your days well. If you have time to extend or on a future trip, Id recommend New Orleans as well.

Ft Worth: stockyards, Billy Bob's, botanical gardens, the zoo, train thur park is great for all.ages on a pretty day, Cowgirl hall of fame, fajitas at Uncle Julios or El Asadero, enchiladas n tostadas at Benitos, patio lunch at Central Market.

Austin, Texas Capital, Zilker Park, Barton Springs, university of Texas, LBJ library, eat at Hula Hut on lake.Austin, food trucks for bbq and tacos n donuts, Home Slice pizza on south congress and shop on south congress as well as enjoy drinks!

San Antonio Riverwalk, market area, shop.at the Quarry, eat at Los Barrios and Chris Madrids for world famous tostada burger-my Fave! Good zoo, the missions, the alamo.

Edited: 9:26 am, January 13, 2014
Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 58
3. Re: holiday to Texas and then las vegas

Be sure to verify the "bags fly free" from Southwest Airlines. While that has been a long time advertising campaign slogan, the CEO hinted last fall that he'd be open to change.... due to the public's "acceptance" of the charge from other airlines. Really??? But yes, SW Air used to be considered a small, regional airline. As such, it was not allowed access to DFW International Airport, thus it's privileges exist at Dallas Love Field. Should you in fact, fly in there, I'd suggest a few nights in Dallas before transferring to FW. It'd be a shame to come all that way and miss enjoying one of the larger cities in the U.S.

As suggested by others, with that many days allocated to Texas, I'd definitely attempt to include a visit to Austin and San Antonio (an hour's drive apart) with side trips consideration to Fredericksburg, the Hill Country, Lockhart, and if you're shoppers, Tanger and Permium (mile long) Outlets with stores lining both sides of I-35 in San Marcos.

For Dallas and FW info: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28964-i75-k710584…

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
reviews: 62
4. Re: holiday to Texas and then las vegas

With that much time, you can really visit pretty much anywhere in Texas. When are you planning your visit? What types of things do you like? Outdoor hiking, swimming? Shopping? Museums? Music? Staying at a Dude Ranch? Wineries? Breweries? Foodies? Hunters? Want to shoot guns?

With a little more info we can guide you to places you'll love

Derry, United...
reviews: 15
5. Re: holiday to Texas and then las vegas

Oh my gosh,thank you so much for your responces,really appreciate it.We have roughly 14 nites,maybe a nite or two more if needs be.so you think I'm right to spend 5 nights Vegas n den split my time up.were definitely up for doing that.would be a shame to go all the way there and not get a proper look about.how long would you suggest in each place then.were going at the very end of august,the 28\29th.we love shopping,fun nights out,dancing,activities,shooting(we'll my husband can shoot n I'd love to give it a go),wineries, brewerys.were pretty laid back so nothing too hectic.not that mad into museums really!!!would love to go to a rodeo as well.open to any suggestions,thanks

Reply to: holiday to Texas and then las vegas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted