We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PA
reviews: 36
dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

i am traveling to the dallas/fort worth area for work in two weeks (middle of august; i'm sure the weather will be great! ha!) i have very limited time but plan to make the most of it. basically i have two different days--a wednesday and a saturday--where i am free after 3pm; my flight lands at 2 on wednesday and i'm done with work at 2 on saturday (and am not flying out until the next morning). what would be the best way to make use of my time? i realize i can't do any museum-y things at this hour. i've looked at the stockyards in fort worth and that looks kind of fun. i'm into food, culture, and anywhere photo-worthy (really, i'd be happy just walking around and pointing my camera at things both evenings, with nice meal thrown into the mix--but i need to know where to do this). and i may want to buy some boots (you know, like everyone else who comes to texas? i already own two pairs but i've never been to an actual western wear STORE; i buy them online). how should i spend my VERY limited time? i will have a car. thanks!

edit: as part of my work trip, i'm already going to a rangers game on friday night. so that part of fun is covered.

Edited: 7:12 pm, July 27, 2013
13 replies to this topic
Kerens,Texas
reviews: 99
1. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

I think the FW Stockyards would be a good Saturday trip. The cattle drive happens daily at1130 and 4pm. Plenty of western wear shopping including Lusky's. Fincher's and Maverick. Even if you can't afford handmade boots stop in at Leddy's and look (and drool). Of, course Billy Bob's is a great stop. I love the White Elephant Saloon for a drink and Love Shack for a burger. Cooper's, Star Cafe and Cattlemen's are also good. Check out this link for more about the Stockyards.

www.fortworthstockyards.org

Kerens,Texas
reviews: 99
2. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

I forgot to mention the rodeo on Friday and Saturday nights.

PA
3. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

ok--so fort worth on saturday night for sure. thanks!

suggestions for dallas late afternoon early evening activities on wednesday?

Texas
reviews: 43
4. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

Hmmm...maybe something close to the airport that time of day, such as downtown Grapevine's Main Street.

http://www.downtowngrapevinetexas.com/

PA
5. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

oh hey--i'm staying right there (well, near the airport. but it has a grapevine address). didn't know there was stuff to do so close by. thanks!!!!

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 58
6. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

Grapevine!? If you have free time Thur, early evening (6-9:30), Delaney Vinyards has live music, wine tasting ($10) and a catered buffet (add'l) charge.

PA
7. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

thanks for the tip! sadly, i'm working every single waking hour on thursday. maybe next time (if there's a next time!)

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 58
8. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

Answering another post, I remembered this one about photography. There are some beautiful areas along the Trinity River at Trinity Park - www.fortworth.com/listings/…

PA
9. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

thought i'd report back with how it turned out...

i went into grapevine on my arrival night--wednesday--and had a very nice late lunch early dinner at some fish place (the name escapes me, but the food was good and the server was awesome). i walked around for a while and looked in windows. and then i had to go to work....

friday night our rangers game plans fell through, so we went out in grapevine again (because no one was up for 'hey let's drive to dallas!' and i was trying to be a good coworker). we ended up at tolberts because, well, that's where we parked. and spent far too much money (i'm not sure how) and had a GREAT time drinking margaritas and eating chili and listening to a beatles cover band (of all things). grapevine is great. i'm going back in january and february and am very happy about it.

saturday night, after a bit of a snafu because 121 south was CLOSED (oh the traffic. oh the horror.) a coworker and i drove to ft worth. we stopped at the justin boot outlet because, well, i needed boots. and i found beautiful boots that i love (they are now my third pair, but feel much more authentic as i did not buy them online. plus they were a GREAT price. and i could not find any factory defects anywhere. i. love. them.) we then went and bar hopped in the general vicinity of the stockyards. we wanted to go to billy bob's, but it was a $20 cover and my coworker friend wanted to spend that on the rodeo instead. but then dinner ran WAY long--we had dinner at Cattlemens--and we missed it. but that's ok because we will be back this winter.

i really, really liked that part of texas (my first experience with texas). everyone was SO NICE. and it really is the people that make a place. (also, my coworker friend who is a smoker but is from LA really liked that you could smoke inside bars...)

so thanks for the input everyone!!!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 3
10. Re: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time

Thanks for report. Glad you had good time.

Just know that in Jan/Feb Dallas can get ice and snow when a cold front comes down from North. Pack accordingly.

Reply to: dallas/fort worth business trip: fun on limited time
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted