We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Poole
reviews: 3
Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

We (40ish couple) are visiting in August and the plan was to spend 4 days in Fort Worth then pick up a car and travel to Austin. Stay in Austin for a few days, then San Antonio and lastly end up in Houston.

We will be in Texas for two weeks. Thought it would be a good idea not to have a car at the start and hope Fort Worth is easy to get around on public transport.

Want to visit Dallas whilst there. We have been to USA a few times before but never to Texas.

Not looking for the most expensive hotels but not the cheapest either.

Any ideas on the best areas to stay in ?

How many nights should we stay in each?

Best way to get between each city, is it driving?

Which car company would you recommend?

Main things to visit in each city?

Any ideas would be really helpful.

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 93
1. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

Texas is very spread out and the best way to see it really is to have a car your entire stay. Sometimes you'll be able to take advantage of local transportation, but keep the car for the length of your stay.

I would spend the bulk of your time around the San Antonio/Austin area. There is just too much to see and do there.

Your time in Houston will depend on what you want to see here.....same with Dallas/Ft Worth area.

Car rental companies....Hertz, National, Avis, Alamo, Budget, Enterprise are the big ones. Stick with these and find the best available rate.

This site will allow you to check all the major companies and compare size/rate side-by-side. You can book from here or go to the actual car rental site to book, rates are the same.

Here are a few things for the cities:

Ft. Worth....the Stockyards

Austin.....Bob Bullock Museum, http://www.thestoryoftexas.com/

San Antonio.....Alamo

day trips around Austin/San Antonio

Houston......NASA (space) and museums.

If you like sports, pre-season American football may have started and of course, baseball.

The weather will be HOT, HOT, HOT, try to limit outdoor activities to the early mornings.

What are some of your interests, so we can steer you to the best places to visit?

Welcome to Texas!!

2. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

I have only ever rented cars through enterprise, they have been great. Twice have got a free upgrade and I found they were the cheapest. But it wouldn't hurt to check out the others listed above

Poole
3. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

Thank you so much for your reply.

We are flying into Fort Worth and flying out of Houston. How many days would you spend around Fort Worth / Dallas area? We were thinking about staying 4 nights in FW, 3 in Austin, 3 San Antonio and the remaining 4 in Houston. Would you agree?

I have been looking at hotels in all the areas. But have also just looked at VRBO especially around Austin. Would this be a good idea? Which area is more picturess?

We want to make sure that we cover all the must see things in each area. We would like to see a rodeo and live country music. As its going to be hot, we would like to cool off somewhere maybe a lake / beach? How hot is it likely to get?

Spring/Houston, TX
Destination Expert
for Houston
reviews: 93
4. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

You will likely be in the mid-upper 90's up to 105, depending on where you are. August and September are the hottest months for Texas.

You could find a wonderful frigid pool in Austin at Barton Springs, cool off tubing the Comal River in New Braunfels or the Schlitterbahn waterpark.

I think you've split up the days pretty good. You may wind up taking a day off both Ft Worth and Houston, but you could always plug in another spot, say a night down in Galveston. Galveston is an hour southeast of Houston, or as a day trip there. www.galveston.com

Austin and San Antonio are only an hour apart. You could possibly put yourself in a VRBO between the cities and use that as your base for the area.

Rodeos are finished by this time of year, though the Stockyards, I think, have them year-round. You might find some regional events but the BIG ones are in February and March. For country music, try Billy Bob's in Ft Worth and Gruene Hall (pronounced Green) in Gruene, outside of San Marcos. http://www.gruenetexas.com/summer.php

Arlington, TX
Destination Expert
for Fort Worth
reviews: 340
5. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

I'd also say to be sure and try lots of Mexican food and BBQ while in Texas-in my opinion Ft Worth has the best Mexican food (El Asadero, Uncle Julios, Benitos, Fuzzy's Tacos, Melis Tacos) and near Austin is Lockhart, TX the BBQ capital with Kreuz, Smitty's and Blacks. San Antonio has a TexMex specialty-Chris Madrids, home of the world famous Tostada burger!

Ft Worth Stockyards are fun-even for a local, Ft W has a great zoo, Amon Carter Museum, Kimball and Modern museums, National Cowgirl Hall of fame, Botanical Gardens, Billy Bob's, Fred's Texas Cafe.

Dallas has the Kennedy Assissination tour, the new Bush presidential library, the new Perot museum, The Blue Goose Cantina on lower Greenville, Deep Ellum.

Austin has the LBJ library, Barton Springs pool, Deep Eddy Pool, Town Lake, Lake Travis, a great food truck park scene, Hula Hut Mexican fusion, East Austin pub scene.

San Antonio has the River walk, Fiesta Texas and Seaworld, Chris Madrids, Chachos.

I admit to spending no free time in Houston, just traveling there for work but there are great restaurants and shopping and NASA, Galveston is only an hour south.

I agree that you need a vehicle in Texas. Ft Worth is very spread out and I've never taken the bus. Dallas is an hour away from Ft Worth.

It'll still be baseball season so if you time it for a Texas Rangers game in Arlington, they're fun!

It'll be very hot so plan on staying hydrated and ducking indoors so that you don't melt. August and September are hot months even for those of us that grew up here.

Poole
6. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

Thank you all for your replies.

I have read about West Nile virus and am worried about this. I live in England and usually get bitten when I go on holiday. I have read that these bites can be very serious and even cause death!

Is this as bad as I'm reading? Any guidance would help.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
7. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

dont sweat the west nile..mosquitos will be dead from the heat by then...august is hottest month...so drink atot of rahr beer, brewed in fort worth. i would think 3 days would be enough in fw..maybe do a day trip to dallas. catch trinity express train from fw to dallas. it doesnt run on sundays though. here are a couple good websites. stay downtown if you can. public transport is ok but certainly nothing like europe. fort worth one of biggest cities square mile wise in the country. you just cant cover it all. with that said i would get a car.

http://www.fortworth.com/

http://www.dfw.com/

Austin, Texas
8. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

Don't worry about West Nile. Does your trip have to be in August? It will be 100 plus degrees all day and the nights will be about 80. It's miserable. I hardly ever go out in the summertime here in Texas. It's worse when you are sightseeing. You go in and out of air conditioned places and you just can't stay cool.

Also, are you aware of the fees sometimes done on one way rental cars?

http://www.wikihow.com/Rent-a-Car-One-Way

It is possible to visit the cities you mentioned using a new system this year called Megabus. The only drawback is sometimes they do not run exactly on time. I don't think the delays are over an hour, but they do take place now and then. The only route you would not use Megabus is Ft. Worth to Dallas. That wouldn't be a problem because you could hop on the TRE train in downtown Ft. Worth and go to Downtown Dallas where you would catch the Megabus.

www.trinityrailwayexpress.org/index.html

us.megabus.com/…

I do not recommend you trying to figure out rental locations on VBRO. You should, in my opinion, be at a hotel in each of the 4 cities in the DOWNTOWN area. VBRO's are spread out all over and without you knowing where to be, it wouldn't be a good idea. All 4 of your lovely cities have lots of downtown hotels.

Ft. Worth and San Antonio will be great using the trolley system in these two downtown areas.

Houston is going to be a little difficult without a car, but it can be done on bus or the ONE rail line they have that comes and goes from downtown. You would have to be using this public transport only during the daylight hours.

Downtown Austin can be fine for sightseeing with maybe an occasional bus ride leaving from downtown and going South about 2 miles or less at $1.25 or $2 day pass. Everything you need to see in Austin can be had in the downtown area.

I can't speak on Dallas, but I do know that there is a lot to see in and on the edges of downtown. Lots of museums, shops and restaurants downtown.

San Antonio is my favorite city. It's beautiful. I would not spend 4 days in Ft. W or Houston. I would definitely advise 4 days in San Antonio. They have a fantastic trolley system that will take you to the major attractions from your downtown hotel and also a city bus from downtown will take you out Broadway where there are a few more attractions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggNNHXyMb1g

9. Re: Fort Worth to Houston - 2 weeks in August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 17, 2014