We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

Which Fort Worth hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool, UK
reviews: 23
Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

I have an upcoming 3 day vacation in Fort Worth and was considering this tour.

Is there anybody on TA who has taken the tour recently who can advise whether it is worth the time or not.

I'll be staying in Sundance Square (Embassy Suites) and wondered whether there are any bus/train services to the bureau at Blue Mound Road or will I have to rely on a cab.

If a cab is the only option can anybody tell me how much this might cost - the distance from my hotel to the bureau is just under 20 miles.

Thanks

TomC

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 58
1. Re: Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

I have plans to go this Fri. and will give an opinion then. There is no train, but when you arrive in FW, call The-T and ask if there us a bus route available. Their system map is inconclusive. http://www.the-t.com/

I'm of the opinion that a cab would be too expensive at $40+. You can see the rates here.

http://www.dallasyellowcab.com/rate.HTML

Liverpool, UK
2. Re: Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

KarinLB

Thanks for the reply - would welcome feedback after your visit.

Although the tour sounds interesting I don't really want to "waste" half a day of my limited time in FW if it's not worth it although I appreciate worth is personal to each person

TomC

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 58
3. Re: Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

Tom, I thoroughly enjoyed the tour today - it's relatively short @ only about 20-30 minutes. You are walking a hallway, a story above and around the extremely large printing area - you are not up close and personal with the printers or the money at any time - but you do see the process from start to finish. The massiveness and speed of the process was the highlight for me. Also, there is little human interaction with the money.

You do not get to see the 19,000 square foot vault packed full of $$$.

There is a short film to watch. We saw it at after the tour, but I'd recommend seeing it before. Since the "live" tour is at a distance, the film makes more clear what is actually occurring on the floor. The film also highlights the intricacies of the engraving process (that task does not occur here).

There is also a small "museum" that further explains (text) the printers and processes. If you are involved in the printing and/or engraving industries, this could be most interesting. As a layperson, I more or less did a cursory look into each area.

All told, I think we were there maybe 1 - 1-1/2 hours, some of that time spent waiting for the shuttle to transport to/from the parking lot.

If you had free/reasonably priced transportation, I'd definitely recommend it. It is not a waste of time. Unfortunately, there is no public transportation in that area (I asked an attendant) - it's about 5 miles north of 820. That said, I don't think it'd be worth the high cost of cab fare..... but that's your call.

I hope you enjoy Fort Worth otherwise........

Edited: 9:36 pm, September 02, 2011
Liverpool, UK
4. Re: Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

Karin

Thanks for the feedback

TomC

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
5. Re: Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

tom, ill be honest with you. its not all that exciting. there is zero public transport up there..and yes, its on blue mound road ( state hwy 156) but its WAY up 156 near hwy 287...not worth a cab ride IMHO

you might consider the amon carter and kimball museum in the cultural district..im sure there are buses down there from downtown and it would be definitely be a cheaper cab ride.

Edited: 8:39 pm, September 12, 2011
Liverpool, UK
6. Re: Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

steveftw

Thanks for the advice - we would probably have done the tour if we had a car (which we don't) but have decided to skip it taking time/cost into account.

Thank for your other suggested museums - only 26 more days to go.

TomC

7. Re: Bureau of Engraving and Printing Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 16, 2012