We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay with young family?

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 19
Where to stay with young family?

I will be spending 4 nights in Dallas with my husband and 1-year old daughter in June to see the sights and go shopping. We have never been to Dallas and I am having a hard time getting my head wrapped around the various areas. Can someone recommend an area to stay that is somewhat close to the typical tourist sights and shopping malls? We would be looking to stay in a hotel with suites so we can put the baby to sleep in a separate room. Would there be any hotels like this in a walkable area of the city? Or is the city not that walkable?

Thanks for the help, it's hard to find the time to do research while home alone with a demanding baby!

Rockwall, Texas
reviews: 7
1. Re: Where to stay with young family?

The best shopping malls would be the Galleria and Northpark in Dallas. The Westin Hotel is connected to the Galleria. There are probably some suite hotels in the area as well. Dallas is a very spread out city. What other tourist sites are you interested in? Dallas is not much of a walkable city. You will probably need to rent a car depending on where you want to go.

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 59
2. Re: Where to stay with young family?

There are a number of affordable suite hotels (2 bdrms and kitchenette) in and around Dallas and Fort Worth. A couple of suggestions are Residence Inn by Marriot, Embassy Suites by Hilton - both have (small town) Grapevine locations which are immediately north of DFW airport.

This area is located between and a little north of Dallas and Fort Worth downtown areas, so it would be somewhat central to the 2 cities, each having unique sights/venues to explore. I'd advise checking a map of the metroplex to get your bearings. https:/…Default.aspx

That said, it depends on what your plans include. It you want mostly shopping, north Dallas would be your best option for lodging. There is also a nice outdoor outlet in Allen - Allen Premium Outlets.

Other attractions of note - museums, gardens, professional sports arenas, FW Stockyards - google "things to do" for specifics. With few exceptions, the metroplex is not very "walker friendly".

Newcastle, Australia
reviews: 19
3. Re: Where to stay with young family?

Thanks so much for the replies! Having not lived in the US for 7 years, I forget how car-based a lot of cities are. If we stayed at one of the hotels right in downtown, would we be able to walk to restaurants, attractions, etc? Or is downtown mainly business-centred?

We were planning on renting a car, but would still prefer to be able to walk to a few things (especially cafes). Besides shopping, we would be interested in the JFK sites, the aquarium and/or zoo, the botanical gardens, possibly the sculpture museum.

Is it worth visiting Fort Worth if we are only in town for 3 or 4 days? I hadn't planned on it but would we be missing something special if we skipped it?

The one thing I would like to avoid is staying at a hotel which is basically on a highway off-ramp sort of area. Unfortunately a lot of the more affordable suite hotels seem to be in these sorts of locations, from what I can gather (listed as "Love Field" and "Market Center" areas).

Rockwall, Texas
reviews: 7
4. Re: Where to stay with young family?

The JFK sites, 6th floor museum, Dallas World Aquarium, and Nasher sculpture center are all downtown. You could walk to restaurants if you stayed in a hotel near the West End, which is also downtown. Most of downtown Dallas is not very touristy and not a place to walk around to restaurants. The Dallas Zoo has really become a very nice zoo with a new safari area for elephants and giraffes. The Dallas Arboretum is first rate. It is about a 15 minute drive east of downtown.

The only reason to go to Ft. Worth, which is about an hour drive from Dallas, is to get the cowboy experience. You an see them drive a herd of longhorn through the streets. They have some cute shops. The do have a rodeo but if you want a rodeo I think the Mesquite rodeo does a better job. Mesquite is about 30 minutes from downtown.

Ft. Worth does have some first rate museums. The Kimball is very nice. I think the Dallas Zoo is just a good as the Ft. Worth Zoo.

Do not stay in the Love Field area. Not a great part of town. Market Center is not the best either.

5. Re: Where to stay with young family?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, March 11, 2014