We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all locals !

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Norwich, United...
reviews: 40
Calling all locals !

Hi, I am planning a trip in March starting in Houston, then to Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Memphis, possibly Nashville, Little Rock, Dallas and back to Houston.

Travelling from the UK as a lone female who has travelled the US many times before. I am looking for some advise from some "locals" as to where to and where not to visit, and ny other useful info please so I can plan how long I need in each place.

Any infor greatfully accepted.

Many thanks

Texas
reviews: 140
1. Re: Calling all locals !

Try to include Austin and San Antonio in your itinerary. Here's a link to my golist which has many of the highlights of our major cities tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21630-Texas_Tr…

April is a better time for your trip due to weather concerns. March can be cold and rainy at times. April will be warmer and everything starts to bloom.

How will you be getting around and how long do you have for the trip?

Norwich, United...
reviews: 40
2. Re: Calling all locals !

Many thanks for your time and comments, i will be over from 28th March to 12th April and will have a car.

A couple of other epople have mentioned San Antonio too, so i will deffinetly find out more about there. Thanks again.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 18
3. Re: Calling all locals !

Downtown Dallas just opened up a brand new Science museum called the Perot museum which is supposed to be spectacular. There are also many art museums downtown, and the main one, the Dallas Museum of Art, is now free. There is also a nice park that was just built near all the museums where you can eat lunch from a food truck ad enjoy the outdoors.

If you want to go out at night, Uptown is the place to be. There are tons of bars and restaurants. It can be pretty fun.

The Dallas aquarium downtown if really cool too. It costs like $22 but has a lot more than just fish and the whole building is neat with everything from penguins and manatees to spider monkeys.

And as for the drive from Dallas to San Antonio, it's pretty lengthy. Count on at least 5 hrs. There is plenty to do on your other stops if you don't make it down there.

Hope this helps.

Grapevine, Texas
Destination Expert
for Grapevine
reviews: 59
4. Re: Calling all locals !

There is also the (free) Botanic Gardens at the southern edge of the Cultural District in Fort Worth. The (fee-based) Japanese Garden adjoins it.

In Dallas, the Arboretum overlooks Dallas' White Rock Lake - a city lake and park for (small) sail-boating, jogging and bike riding. There are a couple of cafes or picnic area within the Arboretum grounds. "Dallas Blooms" will be occurring during the early portion of your visit.

On your drive to New Orleans, consider making a stop in Lafayette to take in the soul of Cajun food and music - quite unique both. Also, along the I-10 route, you travel across the Atchafalaya Basin, the largest swamp in the U.S. http://www.louisianatravel.com/cajun-country

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchafalaya_Basin

5. Re: Calling all locals !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 09, 2014