We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Dallas

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
dallas, texas
reviews: 7
Relocating to Dallas

My husband has been offered a very good job in Dallas Our biggest concern is our 12 y/o who will be in 8th grade next fall. We will prefer to live near Dallas (20-25 min drive with traffic???) and near the school. Any suggestions as to which neighborhoods will be the best places to live and what middle schools do you consider to be the best?

THANKS!!!!!!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
reviews: 30
1. Re: Relocating to Dallas

There are lots of posts on this topic in this forum. Bottom line, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If I were moving I would consider schools last and everything else first, and that is exactly what we did when we moved to Dallas.

Your child will be in the school system for five years. Are you going to move from one district to another if you love the middle school, but hate the high school? How long are you planning on living here?

Are you planning on living in apartments to have the freedom to move to fit the school you want?

My children have gone to DISD primarily. One of them went to a public charter school for high school and the other has gone to DISD their entire career. They both have done just fine. Yours might not. Yours might benefit from a small private school or a religious school or a montessori school.

So, again, I'd find the place I want to live first, and then figure out what to do with school choices.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
2. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Chrystin..you said that very well.

I, too, would look for an area that fits your needs and personality best.

I moved here 11 years ago and lived on the edge of Highland Park. Most people would say that's a great area. But, y'know what? I hated it.

About 1 1/2 yrs later, we moved to East Dallas. It was a whole new world...people who lived and thought like us.

You really should come for a visit and drive the different areas/neighborhoods. They are very different and can make all the difference in your happiness.

dallas, texas
3. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Thanks for your opinions. WE just arrived from Dallas. We went from the 15 of feb until today. We were able to see Arlington, part of Grand Prairie , Dallas and northeast Dallas. We did like Arlington and North Dallas the most and practically decided to renta house or townhome in Arlington. Any suggestions as to nice neighborhoods in Arlington? We liked Riverside townhomes and Legacy park... any others??

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
4. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Sorry Darlene...I don't know anything about those areas. Hope someone else does.

Grand Prairie, Texas
reviews: 23
5. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Darlene,

I'd maybe take another look once you are here again. Arlington Schools are not really "ideal" if you want your child to get a good education. I just moved from Arlington to Mansfield ISD to get into a better school district. If you want a top notch school district and can afford it, Highland Park ISD and Southlake/Carroll ISd are the two top rated in the DFW Metroplex. There are others that fall in under those, but I would not consider Arlington ISD among the better of them. Arlington in general, has been going down over the last few years in my opinion. We built a new home 8 years ago in a new growing neighborhood full of young professionals. Over the years, it went downhill with people foreclosing and then people buying the homes cheap under foreclosure. This brought in many people that were't ready for the home owning process and our neighborhood went downhill. Arlington has also taken on the project of the new Cowboys stadium, so this will bring change as well. It has already started some very nice neighborhoods on the downward spiral. Grapvine would be another nice area to look at. It really just depends on where your jobs are. I commute about 1 hour to work with traffic each morning. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ft. Worth
reviews: 3
6. Re: Relocating to Dallas

I agree with Southlake. We are currently looking for a home there ourselves. We have found that everything is $300,000+ though.

Coppell is another great area with a good school district. It is less expensive and closer to Dallas.

Also lots of nice homes in Plano, another fine school district.

There are good schools in both Dallas and Fort Worth, but the school districts are not that good as a whole.

Fort Worth, Texas
reviews: 16
7. Re: Relocating to Dallas

I agree... best to rent, them find a house once you've been here a while. Traffic times can vary widely in the metroplex. A 20-minute early morning drive can take 45+ minutes in the evening. Southlake definitely has great schools (but really competitive), but it's still a 45 minute drive from Farmers Branch (half way between FW and Dallas) in the evening.

There are also some decent school systems just north of Dallas (Plano, etc).

Dallas, TX
8. Re: Relocating to Dallas

I agree with everyone on the Arlington issue. I would definitely recommend N. Arlington over S. Arlington. I do know of some good apartments in Arlington.

I actually tried to find a rent home as well and let me just tell you that none of the properties were worth what they wanted in monthly rent. I finally gave up and moved into an apartment complex.

If you don't mind me asking...do you have a particular price range? That would help me out a lot. I'm pretty fimilar with this area and search for around 3 months, so price range would help me with suggestions for you.

dallas, texas
9. Re: Relocating to Dallas

Thanks to all of you for your responses and help... Sorry I have been very busy and I didn check the forum. My husband will be working in VA hospital in Dallas. We have a 13 y/o whi will be attending 8th grade next fall. I will like a good and secure neighborhood. Near supermarkets.. (whole foods) and if possible near the school. My husband is willing to commute for 30-45 min. We can afford up to $1700 (prefer 3-4 bdr house or apt) THANKS AGAIN!!!