We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

Which Dallas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Barcelona
Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

We have found some hotels in Dallas Market Center and we see that's quite far away from the historic center(it's West End isn't it?). Anyway we'd like to know which is the "best" hotel location for this two days visit to Dallas next August and which could be the major activities for a couple with a 10 years old boy. We will not have a car.

Jordi Rius. Barcelona. Spain.

P.D. Would it be better to stay near the airport and rent a car for two days in a cheaper hotel?

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
1. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

I just picked up a handy map with hotels on it. Near the West End: Amerisuites Dallas/WestEnd, Hampton Inn Downtown Dallas, Hotel Lawrence, Bradford Homesuites Downtown. And a place I never heard of: Bailey's Uptown Inn (in State-Thomas/Uptown area).

August will be HOT. A place with a pool is probably a must for a 10 yr old boy.

Fun things for your son that will be good considering that it will be 100 degrees F: Hurricane Harbor (water park in Arlington), Dallas World Aquaium in West End, ice skating at Westin CityCenter downtown.

Frisco (Dallas), TX
reviews: 11
2. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

Yes rent a car for sure. The Amerisuites in the West End is a nice place in a neat area. There are many things to do down there and places to eat. You could go visit the Dallas Zoo, Six Flags, Hurricane Harbor, Dallas Aquarium, or the Dallas Mus of Art. If you are futbol fans you could see a FC Dallas soccer game in their new stadium in Frisco (north dallas suburb).

Arlington, Texas
reviews: 3
3. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

For a 10 year old boy and his parents, I would highly reccomend staying at a hotel in Arlington because you could all enjoy 6 Flags and the water park next door, Hurrican Harbor. You would not even have to rent a car if the hotel provides a free shuttle to/from the airport......which most will. 2 days will go by so quickly. You won't have time to do a whole lot else.

I have two children and I can safely say that most 10 year olds will have a much, much better time at 6 Flags or Hurricane Harbor opposed to the West End.

Kerens,Texas
reviews: 99
4. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

You have had some really good responses here and I imagine you are reading other threads as well. Take a look at "DFW Hotel" for a response from Tarasque about the Homewood Suites in Bedord, one of my favorite places locally- they do have pool and are fairly close to catch the Trinity Railway Express which could take you over to Dallas and the West End. Read the thread "Dallas without a car" for more about that. Also, the Wyndham by the Ballpark in Arlington is a nice bigger hotel close to Hurricane Harbor and Six Flags with a large pool area.

Barcelona
5. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

First of all thanks to all of you for your help.

But although we have a 10 years old boy,we feel more like discovering and visiting just the city , its more important places, its centers of interest , its monuments , where the people goes, its tipycal neighbourhoods, its streets where people walk, and above all ...its people,.......than just going to a water park or a zoo just like any other city in the world, even ours .

So it was the sense of our question.

With what I've just explained in mind,where would be the best place to be and also if it's possible to do all that, without renting a car. Or not, of course.

jordi

Kerens,Texas
6. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

Well, let's give this another try, based on your more recent replies. Please keep in mind, Dallas, like most Texas cities, is not known for "people walking", especially in the August heat. So, in order to see neighborhoods, you may need to pick a specific area you would like to see (perhaps Highland Park, Oak Lawn or Oak Cliff/Bishop Arts District) and take a bus or rail there (maybe for a specific restaurant or a little shopping). Otherwise, we tend to be sort of suburb oriented. If you want to stay downtown and cost isn't an issue, the Adolphus, itself a landmark, (from your other post) is a very nice hotel and close to the Mckinney Trolley as well as DART, the light rail line. And you would be near the Nasher Sculpture Museum and The Dallas Museum of Art as well as the Meyerson Symphony Center. If cost is more a factor, I suggest (as someone did earlier) the Amerisuites in the West End. Again, it is close to DART (including the main local bus terminal), and the Kennedy Memorial/Sixth Floor Museum as well as the things listed above. As described in the earlier post, DART can connect you to TRE which goes over to Ft. Worth with lots more museums (Kimball, the Modern, etc.) as well as the Stockyards (kind of a cultural thing to see and visit). Good luck. Two days in the area won't give you a lot of time but there is plenty to see and do within your parameters.

Kerens,Texas
7. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

I thought of two relaxing places to see and check out in downtown Dallas. One is Thanksgiving Square which has a beautiful and unusual chapel (there is a website) on Pacific at Bryan and Ervay and Pegasus Plaza at Main and Akard which has fountains and sometimes (but maybe not in August) has outdoor performances by different artists. Both of those would be good for seeing Dallasites in the downtown environment.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Dallas
reviews: 28
8. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

The Dallas Market Center hotels are situated more to be convenient to the World Trade Center/Dallas Market, and the Parkland/UT Southwestern/Children's Medical Center. Not really a great place, to me, for a family vacation location.

I'd gravitate to the downtown hotels and definitely a pool for your kid. There's a city park close to the Bradford Suites area called Pike Park which has playground equipment and will allow your child some fun time.

The downtown locations have easy access to the DART rail system and the McKinney trolley makes for a fun way to get around http://www.dart.org/mline.asp the downtown area.

Old City Park is a park-museum that has about 40 historical buildings from the pioneer time period of 1840 to 1910 and my kids loved going there when they were that age. I'd go there first thing when they open (1000) and plan to be finished by around noon. The Science Place in Fair Park is fun for both kids and adults and you can walk around the park and the other museums in the later afternoon.

I would really recommend going by our city hall which was designed by I.M. Pei and is extremely futuristic. Right by the city hall is Pioneer Park where there is an installation of about 40 longhorns and three drovers which is my absolute favorite place to take visitors to our city. It wows everyone.

Don't expect our downtown to be like other downtown areas--we have had very little shopping or attractions to the downtown area for many years. It is going through a revitalization phase now, but is not the typical walking/shopping you find someplace like New York, Chicago, Boston, or even Ft. Worth. There is a visitor's center in the Old Red Courthouse that will have maps of the tunnel/overhead system of Dallas. Most downtowners are walking around in the tunnels in August, not walking on the streets. Tunnels are open during business hours as are the shops and restaurants in the tunnels.

Big D
Destination Expert
for Tulum, Dallas
reviews: 6
9. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

Jordi -

I see where you are coming from, now...sorry for the canned response earlier.

The most ideal place to stay is the Fairmont which is sort of between downtown and the arts district. From there you can easily catch the DART a couple of blocks away or the McKinney Ave Trolley a block away.

Things to do:

We have 3 I.M. Pei buildings: City Hall, Fountain Place (pointy building with awesome fountain area), Meyerson Symphony Center.

Thanksgiving Square with it's chapel.

The building with the hole toward the top (on San Jacinto St) has a sky lobby.

6th Floor in West End along with the Conspiracy Museum located a few blocks away.

Nasher Sculpture Center currently has Walking to the Sky on display.

Crow Collection of Asian Art

Neighborhoods offering interesting contrast:

-Lakewood (Abrams and Gaston) - laidback

-Bishop Arts in Oak Cliff (Davis and Bishop) - laidback with Hispanic mix

-Highland Park (Mockingbird and Preston) - uptight Beverly Hills clone

-Cedar Springs (at Oaklawn) - mostly gay

-Fair Park (daytime only) - great area with Art Deco buildings and a few museums (Science Place, Natural History, Women's, Railroad). One side is bordered by an African American area (Cullum Blvd side) and an artists/underground area (Parry Ave and Exposition near Women's Museum).

To observe nightlife in a safe area:

People are getting together at Mockingbird Station (DART rail stop) for movies, shopping, restaurants...Or at West Village (same set-up) on the Trolley route.

And at Knox/Henderson where there are some of our hippest restaurant hang-outs (Fireside Pies, Cuba Libre).

You can take the TRE train into downtown Ft Worth and have a look around.

Some of our favorite things (I have an 11 yr old boy):

-Japanese Garden in Ft Worth Botanical Garden

-Hot Dogs at Harry's on Knox St (across from Crate and Barrel) along with a stop at Froggies down the street.

-Aunt Stella's snow-cones on Marlborough and Claredon (Hampton stop on the DART). Daytime only.

You can tell a lot about a city and it's grocery stores. Fiesta (Hispanic mkt) on Ross at Greenville Ave (take a bus from downtown) vs. Central Market (very upscale mkt) on Lovers Lane and Greenville Ave (DART stop at Lovers).

Also look at VisitDallas.com

Barcelona
10. Re: Best Hotel situation for a two days visit of Dallas

poodleone

ChrystinP

pepper

Dallastar02

texasfamily

We thank you all for your help.

Thanks to you now we know where to stay, what to do and where to go. It's difficult for me to express how gratefull we are for your help :-)

Thany you again

Jordi

Barcelona(Spain)