We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Smyrna, DE
reviews: 23
Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

I'm about 5'6 and currently weigh about 265 (size 20 pants, size 22/24 shirts). I'm currently in the midst of some new lifestyle changes (healthy eating, exercising), but we've got about 5 weeks until we go on vacation, and Dollywood is one of our planned stops. I'm HOPING to lose another 10 or lbs by then, even more if I can manage it. I'm also hoping that my new workouts will help trim trouble areas, like my tummy, hips, and butt. Obviously, there's no way to know how much smaller I'll get in 5 weeks' time, so let's say I go to Dollywood as I am right now - would I be able to fit on the coasters? I'm a coaster fanatic, not really interested in other rides. My biggest fears are that my butt/hips will be too wide to squish into the seat (especially on the narrower stuff like Thunderhead) or that my belly won't let lap bars and restraints close properly. Is there anyone out there who's a similar size, who's successfully ridden the Dollywood coasters? And men, we ladies love you, but you aren't built like we are (with your skinny little hips and flat butts lol) so please don't say "I'm a guy who weighs x-y-z and I fit fine".

Thanks, folks! And wish me luck on my continued healthier lifestyle!

Edited: 2:22 pm, September 06, 2013
9 replies to this topic
reviews: 121
1. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

Congrats on your changes & new self!

Each ride is a little different & most if not all have test seats out front.

That being said, you should be ok. The staff does work hard at accommodating all riders of all sizes. I personally rode along side (usually a single rider) a very large man on eagle a few weeks ago & he had to work at it a couple tries but eventually fit fine. He was a good 300lbs+ & wider than I am tall (comon Southern thang, nbd). I also saw him ride mystery mine.

Thunderhead is usually a little tighter on folks b/c of the bar, but they do try to fit all.

Good luck & have a great time!

Smyrna, DE
2. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

Thanks for the reply, SD. I know the newer coasters tend to be a little more forgiving, so I'm not too nervous about getting on Wild Eagle. I'm DYING to ride Thunderhead though, that's probably #1 on my list, and I know those darn woodies tend to have skeeeeeeeeny little trains that don't allow for much girth in the butt/hips lol. I'm just gonna keep working hard and keep my fingers crossed!

georgia
3. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

I am 6' weigh 275 and rode all the coasters a couple of years ago. Thunderhead was a little snug with my daughter.I think we rode side by side. The Tennessee Tornado was a very tight fit. I thought I was going to come out of it ! Some rides have seats out front to try out before you get in line. Have fun !

Cinn, OH
4. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

Before the trip, if you are planning to eat out at the different restaurants, you might want to check out their menu's. When my DH was dieting, sometimes we would share one meal and get an extra salad or soup. The portions at most of the restaurants are huge.

Smyrna, DE
5. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

Leebow - thanks for your reply! I know I might have to ride without anyone beside me on some things... I guess we'll see when we get there... sigh.

Wellsms - thanks for the tip! We really want to try Aunt Granny's buffet, but we'll stick with the salad bar and some other low-carb options like the baked chicken :) I definitely don't like to fill up on food when I'm on rides anyway, so that will keep me motivated to behave myself!

Sevierville...
reviews: 18
6. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

I am about your size and just rode all rides about 2 weeks ago, only one I had a little trouble with was the eagle do to the chest area, but I wiggled my way in, now that being said, make sure whoever you are with helps you, because the staff on the eagle could care less if you ride or not, they will not you if things don't buckle the first time.

Good luck and have a great time!

Smyrna, DE
7. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

Thanks MommaKity for your post! That's really encouraging to hear. I shouldn't have any trouble with "the girls" on any rides, cause I'm small up top :) Good to know!

Lake Mary, FL
8. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

I was there this past April and had the same concerns as you. I didn't have any trouble except for the chest area on the Wild Eagle. As another person noted, I wriggled around and got it to work. If you're busty, you might encounter the same issue. The best coaster, in my opinion, was the Mystery Mine coaster, but they all were pretty good.

Have fun!

Smyrna, DE
9. Re: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?

Thanks, Buckeye! Any chance you could tell me if you're anywhere around my size? I'm small up top, so that's not my worry. My concern is more my belly/hips/butt :)

Edited: 9:02 pm, September 13, 2013
Reply to: Are the rides at Dollywood "plus size" friendly?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted