We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fishers, Indiana
reviews: 29
Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

We've booked a 3 day trip to the area for the beginning of August. We've rented a cabin thru Auntie Belham's. I'm thinking a trip to Great Smokey Mountain National Park is definitely a "must do" and could fill an entire day. I don't want to do Dollywood, and am looking for suggestions....

Thanks!

paintsville ky
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg
reviews: 26
1. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

We love to Hike Laurels Falls, but you really need to get there by no later than 10 am to get a parking place, It is beautiful. We also love to Hike up Cling Mans Dome. and if you go on across the mountain we love Mingo Falls, it's also beautiful. we love to drive Roaring Fork motor trail in Gatlinburg, and if hiking is not for you we love to go horseback riding our favorite place to ride is Sugarlands riding stable. we love to go riding in the smokies,

Fishers, Indiana
2. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

Great ideas! Didn't even think of horseback riding! Thanks Hagerhill!

I assume Laurels Falls is in the park?

Edited: 5:31 pm, July 02, 2013
paintsville ky
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg
reviews: 26
3. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

Yes Laurels Falls is a very popular water falls in the park. Oh and while on our ride we did see 2 bear on the trail and our guide stopped and we got to watch the bear while he ate, it was really a nice. We have tried a few different riding stables but we like Sugarlands best so far.

NW Ohio
reviews: 65
4. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

I recommend a visit about a hour prior to sunset to Cades Cove to view the wildlife. There are hay rides offered there on Tuesday/Wednesdays evenings and Friday mornings. We drove in our car and over 4 nights we saw a coyote, many deer, 4 sets of mama bears and cubs, and turkeys. We also took a picnic and ate at Newfoundland gap and the Clingman's Dome parking area other days.

Your 14 year old might also enjoy seeing the park from another point of view-over them on a zipline. We were 1st time zippers and went with CLIMB Canopy Works which we can't say enough positive things about them. Both my son and I are scared of heights but they talked us through it and after a few zips we felt at ease. My 14 yr old said it was the highlight of his trip (just returned).

I'd avoid the tourist shops downtown Gatlinburg and the tourist stuff in P.F. Be sure to allow some downtown at the cabin to enjoy the amenities there.

Iowa
reviews: 328
5. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

I'd let the fourteen year olds (do you have quadruplets? cool!) read through the attractions for Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, and see what they think looks appealing. If they like hiking, they're are plenty of hikes in the National Park to pick from. Clingman's Dome in the park is neat, because you get a nice view from the top of the mountain. Likewise, Newfound Gap is a worthwhile stop too.

Depending on your teens, Cades Cove may or may not bore them. I loved it, but my kids (10,10,8 at the time) were sick of it by the end. It does take a while to drive through, and of course wildlife sightings are not guaranteed. There's several old buildings and cemeteries you can tour, which I thought was interesting. My kids, not so much.

There's go carts, mini golf, and arcades in Gatlinburg/PF. The Ripley's aquarium. I suspect the teens would probably like some of the other Ripley's stuff too. I think there's a haunted house.

Fishers, Indiana
6. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

Zip lining sounds like something the boys would love! (No quadruplets! One is Mine, one is his and we're letting them each bring a friend, thus 4 of the darlings :)) I intend to bring adult beverages for hubby and I!! I guess we'll hit the touristy areas in the evening for miniature golf, and such. Thanks for all the great suggestions...

North Carolina
Destination Expert
for Myrtle Beach
reviews: 38
7. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

Our teenage grandkids loved sitting in the back of the truck driving through Cades Cove. Not sure if they would have liked the drive as much if they had been in the cab...

Mississippi
reviews: 6
8. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

I second Climbworks Canopy Tours for ziplining! I am normally a chicken, but I LOVED it. Fantastic staff and experience. Also, 14 year-olds might enjoy whitewater rafting. Several companies in the area to choose from for this.

SE Indiana
9. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

Hillbilly Golf

reviews: 1
10. Re: Things to do with four 14 year olds in Pigeon Forge area

There are so many things to do you will be overwhelmed. I would keep a loose plan but be flexible because you will see lots of stuff when you are driving through town. My gang loves NASCAR speedpark for go carts and it is a pretty good value at 20 bucks for all day. There are many fun mini golf places....Ripleys and Hill Billy Golf. Yes, walking the streets of Gatlinburg is tacky and touristy but my teenaged nephews loved it and had a great time visiting candy shops, Ripleys, Guiness, and souvenir shops.