We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Misc Dollywood questions...

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
West Monroe...
Misc Dollywood questions...

Hi Everyone.

Me and my hubby along with our two boys (ages 8 & 5) will be in Townsend July 4-7. We go every year for a family reunion and will do all the stuff around there like rafting and Cades Cove. For the first time, we have rent a cabin in PF for the 8-13th. This yr we plan to go to DW and Splash Kountry. I have a couple of questions about each....

1. How long does it take/where exactly do you go to park and catch the trolley to the parks? Is it worth it?

2. Has anyone had experience with the Q-bot (fastpass/reservation) systems at each of these parks? Do you thing they are worth it?

3. My kids LOVE rides and are not into shows so we will probably skip them at DW. Is there any one show you feel is a must-see?

We are very excited for our trip and will be the only vacay we can take for a while, so I'm doing a lot of research so we won't be waiting in too many lines or rushing around. (The pre-work really paid off in Disney World last year). I would also love any restaurant (kid friendly) recommendations. We usually always eat at the Apple Barn and try to find somewhere good for breakfast.

Thanks in advance for your help - Amye

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
reviews: 15
1. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

Hey Amye,

1. When we ride the trolley to DW, we park behind The Old Mill restaurant at Patriot Park. Plenty of parking, and trolley schedules. When you ask if it's worth it, I don't know if you mean riding the trolley or the park itself. I'd say yes to both.

2. We have used the Q-Bot in the past, and had no complaints. It allowed us to move to the front of the line at any rides that it supports (as long as you arrive at the scheduled time), and it puts you in the front row of the shows. they are worth it on busy days, for us.

3. If you're talking about shows outside DW, I would recommend Dixie Stampede. A good show and a good meal.

Have a great trip!

Silver City, New...
reviews: 7
2. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

We always stay in Gatlinburg and ride the trolley to Dollywood. Its worth every penny to us. Get dropped off the entrance, no having to find a parking spot, etc.

Have never used the Qbot but I would image it would be worth getting.

We went to the Comedy Barn in October and our grandson loved it. He got to take part in the show with the other children in the audience. (and kids get in free)

Sevierville...
reviews: 18
3. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

Taking the trolley to dolly wood/ splash country could be worth it, they drop you off right at entrances, no waiting for tram cars, looking for parking, it is 50 cents per person each way, parking at the park is $10.

Splash country to denfitley worth the it, and I could definitely imagine the qbot being worth considering lines are probably going to be about an hour long during the Time you are here, anyone has them move right to the front on the line, for the rides that have them ( which are most ).

Iowa
reviews: 327
4. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

1. We didn't take the trolley; it would've only saved us $5 so I figured it would be faster just to drive our own vehicle and pay to park.

2. We didn't do the Qbot (I'm way too cheap), instead we did the most popular rides at opening when the lines weren't horribly long yet. We did have long waits (about an hour) for the water rides, since we did those in the afternoon.

3. If you're talking about shows at Dollywood, we really enjoyed the eagle/bird show. It's fairly short. A few of the birds fly over the audience, which my kids thought was really neat.

Cinn, OH
reviews: 23
5. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

The shows are very good at Dollywood, I would try to do at least one show in the afternoon that is air conditioned so you can get out of the heat and everyone can take a break and cool off. When it is just DH and I, we may not even go on one ride, just see all the different shows, when the grand's go with us, they want to ride and we still see some of the shows. For some reason, my 5 year old GD is a little afraid of the train. When my GS was little, he loved loved the flying elephant ride, I had to ride the ride like 5 times straight with him. Make sure you take time to visit the Smokies and have a picnic, maybe let the kids go wade in the stream. I would recommend Comedy Barn, Dixie Stampede, Hatfield and McCoy and the Lumberjack show. I also love the Mystery Dinner show, but would not take kids to it, the show probably would not make a lot of sense to them.

West Monroe...
6. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

Thanks so much for all the good advice. I'll take any tips I can get.....

Athens, Alabama
reviews: 299
7. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

Get the Q-Bot, you won't be sorry. Dollywood's pricing for the Q-Bot is very reasonable compared to the same/similar options at other parks. The lines for the major rides can be very long. As soon as the ride attendant clears your reservation for the ride you are getting on make another reservation. On less busy days we've had zero wait times between reservations for rides. I don't think they offer the Q-Bot at Splash Country. You have to have the hot cinnamon bread from the Grist Mill!

Sherwood, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
8. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

Just visited DW yesterday with husband, and three children ages 9,12 and 13. We paid the $10, parked in the lot and took the tram. The tram system was very fast and efficient. We arrived right at 10AM and rode the most popular rides first. Our wait time was very short, perhaps 5-10 minutes. We took in three shows and arrived just moments before each with no trouble getting a good seat. The must see show for you and your family is the Bubble show! It's an amazing show and your kids will love it! Don't leave early, the end is really cool. We also saw Dreamland Drive In and My People. They were both good shows and everyone appreciated the chance to sit with a cold drink and popcorn. Regarding the Q-Bot, the cost was an add'l $20 per person yesterday. At the end of the day we were glad we didn't spend the extra money. Totally not needed for the shows and lines at the beginning and end of the day were very short. Kids rode the Eagle four times, dare devil falls twice (without getting off), same for Barnstormer. One thing we wish we'd known is that several of the rides close early or at dusk. After the park closed we went to Smokey Mountain Brewery. The kitchen is open until midnight. They had a great band, great service and great food. Very nice end to long day.

Mason, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Daytona Beach
reviews: 23
9. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

Your kids will love the bubble show at Dollywood, so make sure you see it. You will enjoy the break from the heat there while seeing the show.

Plantation Florida
reviews: 100
10. Re: Misc Dollywood questions...

If it's you, husband, and 2 kids, that would be $2 to ride the tram from Patriot Park, and another $2 on the way back. May be better to pay the $10 to park, then you can take the tram back to your car and leave at the end of the day. In my case, it was just me, so I saved $9, and did this on two days.

Get there early, and be near the front. They let everyone into the park early, but rope off sections that lead to the thrill rides. For example, when you enter the park, you head left up a zig zag path that leads to Thunderhead. If you arrive early, you can get a ride with little wait, then continue to Mystery Mine, and Wild Eagle. Those are the big thrill rides. If you get those done, you don't need Qbot. The other rides will have a line, but not that bad.

Don't forget your full day ticket gets you into the park after 3pm the day before. Take advantage of this to pick off a few rides. The lines become less right before closing as the tired leave. For example, we arrived, checked into our cabin, drove to Patriot park, I rode the bus to DW while she walked our lab around the Old Mill area. I got 4 rides on Wild Eagle (front and back) because there was no line from 6pm-7pm.

The next morning, I arrived early, went to Thunderhead, and got a front seat ride. The line after I walked about was about 30 minutes. That's the first ride everyone goes to.