We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Farmington, Missouri
reviews: 26
I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

I know everyone says it will be crowded in Pigeon Forge-Gatlinburg area during 4th of July week so I need some advice. This is when I have to take vacation so I have to make the best of it. I will be there with my family of 4 arriving late July 1 and departing early July 7. I plan on spending a day each at Dollywood, Splash Country, Smoky Mountain National Park, white water rafting, and Ober Gatlinburg. 5 full days; one main activity for each day with plenty of eating, go carts, and shows to go along with it. So what are your suggestions on what specific days to do things or to not do things. For example, I know Cades Cove is no good on Wednesday (July 3) and Saturday (July 6) because it doesn't open until later. I think I should book a white water rafting trip for Thursday, Friday, or Saturday because these will likely be busiest at the other places and once I have a reservation, I will be ok with this activity. Any other suggestions would be helpful. My main question is what would be my best day to do Dollywood or when should I avoid Dollywood.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
reviews: 15
1. Re: I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

I would probably hit Dollywood on July 2. That's the day I would expect it to be least crowded. With the fourth being on a Thursday, everyone else will be planning on a long weekend in the mountains, so it'll be crowded later in the week.

Also, I don't think you need to plan on a whole day at Ober. You can easily see everything there in a couple or three hours.

Have a great trip!

paintsville ky
Destination Expert
for Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg
reviews: 26
2. Re: I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

I have been there on July 4th and I have found it no more crowded than any other time in the summer, so just go with the flow and enjoy the beautiful mountains.

Martinsburg, West...
reviews: 51
3. Re: I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

We were there July 4th week 2012, on the 4th we went to Cades Cove, it was so crowded & traffic backed up I would never go on an actual holiday up there again. We went to Gatlinburg on the evening/night of July 4th & went to the aquarium & watched the fireworks, it was really fun, so I'd go to Gatlinburg on the day of, just for the fireworks.

Grayson, Kentucky
4. Re: I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

Our family of 6 spent the 4th of July there last year! We went to Dollywood on July 2nd and it really wasn't busy at all. Now Cades Cove was packed and actually what we saw there is exactly what we see while we are here at home deer, turkey and one bear in a tree asleep.

But I do suggest you go watch the 4th of July parade in Gatlinburg!! It's a must see, lasted for 2 hours. We can't make it this year but we are already planning on going back next year! This parade begins at 12:01 a.m.on July 4th. As for the 4th of July after spending half the night up at the parade we rested around the cabin and went to the last show of Comedy Barn for the evening, it lets out in plenty of time to catch fireworks, but it just happened to rain the year we went so there wasn't really any to see.

Sevierville...
reviews: 27
5. Re: I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

I would most likely try doing the parks during the week. Like Tuesday and Thursday, from experience going to splash country, it seems it is less crowded on Tuesdays. Best thing to do it get there at opening and hit the 'popular ' rides right away.

Kodak, Tennessee
reviews: 11
6. Re: I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

Dollywood is better during the week. There are alot of things going on for 4th so it may not be as busy that day as you think. I live here and if you are anywhere in the vicinity of gat on the fourth be prepared not to get out at all!! Lol it is horrible crowded and can take hours to get out! And yes July is busy busy! Good luck

Edited: 3:12 pm, June 24, 2013
7. Re: I know it will be crowded 4th of July week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 26, 2014