We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Racism? Muslims in the Smokies?

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Racism? Muslims in the Smokies?

Hi, I will be heading down to the Smokies this summer, and am super excited to go. We are going to be traveling with another family whom the women in the family wear hijabs, or head scarves, as they are muslims. We are brown as well (indian) so I was really worried if there is going to be racism down there. I've heard horror stories, and I hope they aren't true. Im from Chicago, so its a very open place. Please tell me honestly if I have anything to worry about.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
reviews: 24
11. Re: Racism? Muslims in the Smokies?

When the term racism is mentioned, the first thing that comes to mind is the "usual" black/white situation. My wife and I have been coming to this area for close to 30 years. And in all those years, I've never saw any problems yet....but then I never saw many black tourists in the Gat/burg-P/forge area. When you talk about the Muslims (the ones dressed in black robes) they have cast themselves as the "evil empire." But folks being as they are...no matter where, I don't think you'll have much trouble with the majority of other tourists.

Ray

Tennessee
reviews: 30
12. Re: Racism? Muslims in the Smokies?

I was just in the area (May 5-8) and we did encounter about every race; white, black, mexican, muslim, china, indian, etc., etc. Even came upon mixed couples and same sex couples. We drove thru the resort that recently caught fire and several blacks were grilling outside several of these cabins, they all waved at us and were just so friendly. We hiked to Grotto Falls and this is where we seen several different races, said hi to everyone we passed and kept on hiking. Even came upon others speaking different languages. Several of the stores, motels, gas stations are owned/operated by different races. So you will not feel out of place.

Iowa
reviews: 334
13. Re: Racism? Muslims in the Smokies?

...."they have cast themselves as the evil empire".

Yikes!! I suspect comments like that are what the OP is hoping to avoid.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
reviews: 24
14. Re: Racism? Muslims in the Smokies?

When I said "they have been cast as the evil empire," I was referring to all the bad press they have evoked in the nations newspapers. That was not to be written as my personal opinion. You have my apologys....

Have your vacation, and I'm sure you'll have no problems.

RAY

Huntsville, Alabama
15. Re: Racism? Muslims in the Smokies?

We'll be glad to have you in the south. Where I live (north Alabama), we have people from all over the world. I hope you have a wonderful visit!

16. Re: Racism? Muslims in the Smokies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 29, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Pigeon Forge