We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newnan, Georgia...
Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

I have 3 kids and there will be a 4th on our trip with us, their ages are 5, 5, 3 and 8 months. We are staying in a cabin in Gatlinburg (May 28th- June 2nd) and are looking for things to do. We are thinking of Dollywood, Splash Country (weather permitting) and Wonderworks. Do these places have things for young kids (the 5 and 3 year olds)? Are there any other suggestions of things to do with young kids?

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
reviews: 63
1. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

Take them into the national park and let them play in the streams, hike short trails, and just enjoy nature for free. Take along a picnic.

There's also a great museum they would like at the Sugarlands Visitor Center.

There's some smaller "venues" that have kiddie rides along the parkway in Pigeon Forge that will likely cost less than the bigger parks.

Just Outside...
reviews: 114
2. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

Dollywood has a great area for the smaller kids. We took my sons last year, 1 and 4 at the time, and they were able to ride many of the rides in the County Fair area. We are going again this year, the same weekend as you actually, and plan on visiting Dollywood again. It's a great time to visit as the park is having BBQ and Bluegrass festival. Also, my youngest son will be able to ride many of the other rides he could not last year. Plus. you dont pay for the kids until they are 4 :)

The national park is a great option as well. Laurel Falls is paved if you want to walk to a waterfall and push a stroller.

Wonderworks is fun but it is more for ages 5+. However, once you pay you can come and go as much as needed but it is only the day that you pay. So, go early in the morning and get your money's worth.

N. GA
reviews: 1
3. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

I wouldn't spend the money for Wonderworks with the current ages of your children.

Cape Girardeau...
4. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

We are here now and our girls are 5, 3 and almost 6 months. We have spent two days in the park. Yesterday we went to Pancake Pantry, our favorite. Girls love "Bears in the Snow" pancakes. Then from Gatlinburg too the Gatlinburg Trail 2 miles to Sugarlands Visitor Center. It's a flat, easy trail. My husband had the baby in a backpack and the older girls and I explored the streams and looked for animals along the way. The kids did get tired when we were almost there, so after a snack and tour of the museum and gift shop, my husband hiked back for the car. We hiked to Cataract Falls which is only about a mile round trip. The girls always enjoy the waterfall. Today we did Cades Cove and had a picnic at Cades Cove picnic area. Highly recommend it for kids. Mine were in the shallow areas almost the whole time and we had to hang their socks and pants out the window to dry! We stopped at the Cades Cove visitor center and toured the cabin and barns there. Then looked for animals the rest of the way through the loop road. Two very pleasant days! Other than the aquarium, we will likely spend the majority of our time here in the park. We are going to the Mellow Mushroom in Gatlinburg for dinner tonight and I think it is very family-friendly!

Tennessee
reviews: 31
5. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

Don't take them to Parrott Mountain, they will be charged and if I remember right its the same as adult price. Although its nice I don't recommend anyone taking young children there. A few years ago we took our grand daughters (ages 3 & 5) to this and to the Titanic. They were bored with the Titanic within 10 minutes of arriving (so don't recommend taking them here either) So we rushed through it and on to parrot Mtn. only to realize after paying it cost us more for this attraction than what it did for the Titanic! Reason was, we had to pay for the girls. So I don't recommend either one of these with young children.

Last Oct. we took them and the oldest one to Dollywood, this time they were 10, 6 & 5 and I believe we had to pay childs price for all three. The younger two were not able to ride all the rides due to height, they were able to ride majority of the rides in the section called "County Fair" and a few big rides with an adult (antique cars, bumper cars, ferris wheel, one roller coaster that stayed inside -Blazzin Furry or something like that, train and a water ride)

The National Park is free. I do recommend stopping at the Sugarlands visitor Center. Maybe the Laurel Falls hike/trail. It is paved but also going up hill but I think its a little over a mile or so round trip. Arrive early, parking lot for this trail is very limited and its a favorite by several. I don't recommend playing in the water at the falls or on the wet rocks. I live in TN. and hear/see to many people getting injuried by negligence around waterfalls and/or mtn. streams. If they like to car ride, take in: Cades Cove - 11 mile one-way loop road and you will be able to get out and explore the old buildings, etc. and theres a visitors center here they may like, has an old flour mill here (still working) among other old buildings. At the end/or near the end is a horse stables, they do offer carraige rides that they may enjoy. Roaring Forks Motor Trail, located a short distance from red light #8 in Gatlinburg, similar to Cades Cove but much shorter and not as congested, great views of Gatlinburg! Clingmans Dome, tallest peak in TN. paved walkway to the tower but another very popular area so depending on the day/time you may have a hard time finding a parking space.

Atlanta
6. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

Another vote for the national park.

kentucky
reviews: 76
7. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

The National Park is the place for the kids. It's the place they can explore and make all the memories that you will remember.Our GS was to young and small for a lot of the rides at Dollywood and it gets awfully busy after school is out. He did love the carriage ride thru the woods at Cade's Cove and helped the driver steer the wagon. He also loves getting in the streams and "trying" to catch fish with his hands! The best part about the Park is it's free! Pack a picnic and spend the day!

Knoxville, Tennessee
8. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

I agree - there is a great picnic/creek playing place as soon as you enter Cade's Cove. My Kids have loved it since they were 3 and 6!

The Ripley's Aquarium would probably be a hit! Here are some coupons for it and some other Ripley's attractions:

smokymountaincouponbook.com/place/…

smokymountaincouponbook.com/place/…

Charlotte, North...
reviews: 27
9. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

Dollywood suit to toddler age 18 months and 3 ?

Sevierville...
reviews: 26
10. Re: Young kids in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area

3 and under are Free most places. But I think wonder works is a little advance for them being so young. It is an amusement park for the mind.