We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

Which Pigeon Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
sevierville TN
Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

Yesterday when I was going into town, I saw a couple cabins on fire in BBR. We stopped and watched from a friends house yesterday and watched 35 cabins burn down. WBIR.COM has a lot of coverage about it. The fire is still burning right now in a couple of different places. You can actually see the fire from the parkway now as it has climbed over the ridge heading east. BBR is located west of light #3 in P.F. About 3 1/2 miles off the parkway, you have to veer left onto Long Branch road. I talked to a firefighter this morning and the fire is not under control. The worst is, the wind is picking up and is going to really pick up more before the rain this afternoon. I personally have never seen anything like this. It's sad for the cabin owners, guests, and I also feel for the firefighters that have already been on this mountain for 13 hours now. No injuries thankfully.

sevierville TN
1. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

correction, that might be off Lost Branch road, not Long Branch. Not sure which one it is.

Edited: 5:55 am, March 18, 2013
Mississippi
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
reviews: 23
2. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

Just terrible news. Glad to see no one has been injured or killed so far. Reports of propane and natural gas tanks going up like bombs are disturbing.

Hoping they can get this under control this morning. There's going to have to be a massive effort to control erosion of the entire mountain with all the growth burned up. Wouldn't take but one or two heavy rains to create further problems.

3. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

Black Bear Ridge is off of Lost Branch Rd. We have a cabin in that resort... we aren't sure if it is still standing or not currently.

reviews: 3
4. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

We also own a cabin. The last I heard ours was ok, but the fear now is smoke damage. Really sad that somebody's negligence, stupidity or even vixen would cause such a disastrous event. Really unfortunate.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 16
5. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

Sorry to have heard this yesterday. Prayers going out to the owners and firefighters working the fires. So far as of this morning, it appears that there have been no injuries, but many cabins destroyed. =( Those types of cabin resorts always worry me, and I always think to myself when driivng by them of this very thing that has happened. Many of these large resort areas pile and stack these cabins on top of one another to fit as many into the purchased area, which not only leads to land erosions and instability, but to this terrible thing as well. Sad indeed....sorry for those owners who have lost their homes.

Southern Indiana
reviews: 16
6. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

Just found out the cabin we rented is gone. We were supposed to check in on Sunday. So sorry for the owners and those affected. Prayers going up for the firefighters and homeowners.

Edited: 9:48 am, March 18, 2013
Canton, Illinois
reviews: 7
7. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

I hate to ask...but has anyone heard if the Shagbark Resort was affected? We have a cabin rented there this summer...looks pretty close to where the fire started.

Savannah, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Maggie Valley, Pigeon Forge
reviews: 13
8. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

Awful news. I've been under the weather for the last few days and didn't know anything about it until I turned on the TV this morning. Glad no one has been hurt, but I'm sorry for the losses for the cabin owners.

9. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:41 pm, March 18, 2013
sevierville TN
10. Re: Black Bear Ridge Fire BAD

Misty, Shagbark is fine. To the other cabin owner, the west side of the development is ok. The entire east side is gone, except the very last one at the end. I hope you owners don't get bad news. If I can help you, let me know.