We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking as sole transportation in Nashville

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
Walking as sole transportation in Nashville

Hi everyone,

I'll be heading down to this lovely city at the end of April, and I'll be staying in the downtown area. I don't drive, and I walk 3 miles to work every day, so I'm going to be relying on my legs as transportation. From what I've seen on the boards and heard from my friends, walking is not the greatest way to get around.

Is this because there are not very many sidewalks or pedestrian crossings, or the distances are truly that great? For instance, am I able to walk from downtown to Centennial Park without getting hit by a car on Highways/Routes 40, 65, and 70? From downtown to East Nashville without competing with cars whizzing by on the bridges?

Thanks!

5 replies to this topic
Music City, USA
reviews: 65
1. Re: Walking as sole transportation in Nashville

Pedestrian friendliness varies widely across the city, but on those routes you'll find crosswalks and pedestrian walk/don't walk signage. The common suggestion for cars, taxis, or buses is due to the distances and in some cases, crime. In your case I don't think distance will be an issue, but map your routes on Google Maps to be sure you're comfortable with the distances.

Downtown to East Nashville in the daytime is fine. At night it can get dicey because of the unpopulated industrial areas that you pass through. It is a higher crime area that you'll pass through between downtown and 5-points. Taxis are reasonably priced for that distance. You could walk over and then decide if you want to ride back because of the time of day, weather, or hopefully because you shopped so much you can't carry it all back with you. :)

There's a pedestrian bridge connecting downtown to the east bank of the river. There are sidwalks on the Woodland Street bridge as well. The pedestrina bridge is nicer, but may be out of your way depending on which part of downtown you're staying.

Edited: 2:29 pm, April 03, 2014
Rockton, Illinois
reviews: 107
2. Re: Walking as sole transportation in Nashville

I'm surprised you have seen posts about Nashville not being walkable. I personally think the downtown core is one of the more walkable cities I have ever been in. You can walk to Centennial Park from downtown by way of Church St or Broadyway/West End very easily.

That said, I would not walk on the side of I-40 or I-65, just like I would never walk on the side of any interstate, but that's just my preference.

Music City, USA
reviews: 65
3. Re: Walking as sole transportation in Nashville

Yep. Walking along the Interstates is a quick way to get on the evening news.

Many of Nashville's attractions are found in the downtown core which is very pedestrian friendly. But we have a lot of attractions that are too far for most people to walk. The Loveless Cafe, Bluebird Cafe, The Hermitage, Belle Meade Mansion, Opry Mills Mall/Opryland Hotel, Cheekwood, Nashville Zoo, and Franklin come to mind. Those things all require a car, taxi, or bus.

Philadelphia...
4. Re: Walking as sole transportation in Nashville

Thank you all so much for your helpful and prompt replies!

Ireland
reviews: 72
5. Re: Walking as sole transportation in Nashville

Yes - it can be done, but I'd recommend you just don't tell people you're walking.

They won't believe you/won't understand why you're not driving and as someone who's used to and enjoys walking (and still not happy driving on the "other" side of the road) I walk now where ever I want to go, but just don't mention it to anyone!

(and that's very true re the interstate. If no footpath, get a cab)

Nashville is lovely - enjoy your trip!

Reply to: Walking as sole transportation in Nashville
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted