We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 74
2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

Hi

We are visiting Nashville for 1st time week after Easter 2013 with a 3 and 5 yr old. What would people recommend as must see and dos. (with kids in tow). Interested in music and culture. Prob not interested in any zoos or museums as will be doing quite a few in Texas prior to nashville.

Any places recommend to eat as well - love southern and bbq food

thanks

Nashville, Tennessee
reviews: 51
1. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

Some of the downtown clubs that have live music may let kids in during the day, but your culture options might be pretty limited without the zoo and museums! There are a number of nice parks and playgrounds around town, including Dragon Park near Vanderbilt University. Percy Warner and Radnor Lake parks each have hiking in the woods. Cumberland Park is a fantastic play/splash park on the east bank of the river across the pedestrian bride from downtown, though I don't know if the water part will be open by Easter.

For food - there are lots of forum threads you can check out. BBQ at hog Heaven is great, and lots of people like the classic southern food & family style service at Monell's. there's also a thriving independent restaurant scene, food trucks, etc.

Fort Mitchell...
reviews: 23
2. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

Food trucks? Is there a link to find them?

Thanks

Peace

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
reviews: 17
3. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

There is no single master site with all food trucks, but these hit most of them in one way or another:

http://nashfoodtrucks.com/

http://nashvillefoodtruckassociation.com/

http://wanderlandfoodpark.com/

Fort Mitchell...
reviews: 23
4. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

Thank you for the response.

Really enjoy the food trucks. Fun way to try something different, meet new people and support local talent!

We will check them out during our stay in April.

Peace

Music City, USA
reviews: 65
5. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

Dragon Park mentioned above is the local name for it. Officially it's Fannie Mae Dees Park located at 2400 Blakemore Avenue, Nashville, TN. The nickname derives from a large mosaic-covered sea-serpent/dragon that kids love to climb on.

…wordpress.com/2007/…

Opryland Hotel is a popular place. It has extensive indoor gardens, dancing fountains, and a boat ride. Next door is a large indoor shopping mall called Opry Mills with the typical kids play areas in the main thoroughfare. You can park for free at the mall and walk over to the hotel. It's not far.

Grand Ole Golf is a mini-golf course located on Music Valley Drive near Opryland Hotel. They have 3 different mini-golf courses, a game room, and go-karts. Bumper boats too, but those won't be open by Easter.

There are ducks to feed in Centennial Park. Adults can enjoy the gardens and the Parthenon (A full scale replica of the real one), so a little something for everyone. Nashville once had the nickname "Athens of the South" due to its vibrant arts and culture scene, thus the Parthenon.

Next to Centennial Park is Centennial Sportsplex where they have an indoor ice skating rink if you'd like to give that a try.

The Frist Center for the Visual Arts on the edge of downtown is our main art museum. They have an EXCELLENT area for kids called Art Quest. Kids can paint, draw, sculpt, make stop-action movies, and more. It's a lot of fun.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 70
6. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

Not sure what you mean when you say you are interested in culture, but not museums? Everything I can think of that's cultural could be classified as some kind of a museum. For example, we have a lot of history in TN and there are historic houses like the Hermitage and Belle Meade but they are considered historic house museums. Also the Parthenon, which is a replica of the one in Athens but is also...a museum! Cheekwood is art and botanical gardens...another museum. So not quite sure what kind of culture you are looking for.

Music City, USA
reviews: 65
7. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

"Culture" doesn't just mean "high-brow stuffy museum". The tonks and bars of lower Broadway and quirky shops at 5-points are as much a part of Nashville culture as The Frist and Cheekwood.

We have street fairs, festivals, concerts, Civil War re-enactments, and more. All of those are cultural and none are in museums. Unfortunately, none of them are going on the week after Easter.

We do have a nice collection of public art, sans museum.

www.artsnashville.org/PublicArt.aspx?MID=3

Los Angeles...
reviews: 70
8. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

Not all museums are artsy or high brow. I'm not an artsy person myself - art museums generally bore me to tears. But I love history - still, Belle Meade, the Hermitage, etc are considered historic house museums. Even Stones River Battlefield has a museum. Which was kind of my point - museums really vary. The Country Music Hall of Fame is a museum too. You are correct that "culture" covers a lot of territory. I confess to never thinking of Five Points as being an example of Nashville culture but then culture is always changing so I guess it is. We all have our own interests from which or recommendations spring. Mine is history. But everything I could think of could be classified loosely as a museum. Even Cannonsburgh in Murfreesboro...

9. Re: 2 nights in Nashville with young kids - 1st visit from Oz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, December 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Nashville