We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel advice

Which Nashville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Las Vegas, New...
hotel advice

Nashville Marriott Vanderbilt

Renaissance Nashville Downtown

Union Station Autograph Collection by Marriott

I have narrowed my choices down to these 3. Which one would you recommend?

Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
reviews: 39
1. Re: hotel advice

Union Station is the most striking and unique, but not all rooms are well located as others - check your room out in advance of checking in.

Renaissance is a nice convention style hotel.

Marriott Vandy is a typical nice Marriott in an area where some good restaurant choices are walkable.

Las Vegas, New...
2. Re: hotel advice

I am looking for the most upscale hotel (of the three ONLY). However, I would like to stick with Marriott brands, as I might be cashing in on some rewards points for part of my stay. All three of them have the same Rewards category. I do not mind staying at a convention style hotel for a leisure trip. I also do not mind staying in a room that does not have such a nice view. I would like a hotel that has ample onsite and nearby restaurants. It's nice to not have to travel a long distance just for a meal.

However, I am more concerned with the actual room amenities, room comfort, service, restaurants onsite and nearby, and a general upscale/ high- end/ luxury sense. Although I will spend most of my day going to attractions within the downtown area, I do not mind the short drive from the Vanderbilt/ West End area to downtown. Similarly, I do not mind that the Union Station may be a little out of the way.

Based on this new information, what would you advise?

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
reviews: 17
3. Re: hotel advice

None of the hotels you've selected are top of the line in Nashville. Nice, sure, but there are others that are more "upscale." Union Station is by far the most interesting architecturally and historically, but as noted choice of room can be important. The nicest hotel in town, and the most visually/historically interesting, is The Hermitage Hotel downtown. In the Vanderbilt area I'd pick The Hutton Hotel, Hotel Indigo, or Loews over the *yawn* Marriott, although there's nothing wrong with the Marriott.There's also the Gaylord Opryland resort in the suburbs if distance really doesn't matter to you.

I'm puzzled by your comment of Union Station being "out of the way" as it's on Broadway, just a few blocks further west than the majority of downtown hotels. If you are interested in the downtown honky-tonks and attractions, the Vanderbilt hotels are further away, although still on a straight shot.

Edited: 9:42 am, January 24, 2012
Las Vegas, New...
4. Re: hotel advice

Hi TFerrell,

Thanks for the reply.

Can you clarify what you meant here?

"over the *yawn* Marriott, although there's nothing wrong with the Marriott."

Since I am thinking about redeeming Marriott Rewards points for this trip, I REALLY would like to stay at a full- service Marriott, Renaissance, or Autograph hotel in the downtown or Vanderbilt area, which means I would want to confine my search to these three properties I have mentioned.

Although these three hotels may not be the top of the line in Nashville, which one of the three is the best? If you were to pick one hotel just from these three, which one will it be?

Regarding the Union Station being out of the way, I have a few reviews about people that mentioned that. Anyway, distance is not my most important concern.

Thank you. Sorry for insisting on confining the search to Marriott ONLY, but I really want to redeem some of my points. Also, I am a HUGE fan of Marriott brand hotels.

Edited: 10:32 am, January 24, 2012
US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
5. Re: hotel advice

I haven't stayed at any of the three, obvs, being local, but I've been IN all three. If it were me I'd stay at Union Station because it's the most interesting. I like old buildings, old architecture, and historic sites. If that's not important to you, though, you'd probably be happiest at the Marriott Vanderbilt. Nice area, across from Centennial Park, not a ton of tall buildings around so good views, newest hotel of the three. HOWEVER, depending on when your stay will be, they are doing some renovations/expansions on the ground level. tennessean.com/article/20120123/NEWS01/30123… The primary advantage of the Renaissance will be its proximity to the downtown honky-tonk zone, if that's what you're here for.

As for restaurants, downtown there are some good choices OUTSIDE of the tourist zone (i.e., the Germantown area, a quick hop across the river to East Nashville). In the Vandy/midtown area there are also very good choices mixed in with the chains. Other hotspots for dining nearby both areas are 12South and The Gulch.

Mississippi
reviews: 9
6. Re: hotel advice

I second T Ferrell. I have stayed at Union Station and it's a nice hotel. The restaurant in the hotel Prime 108 is outstanding and it's a short walk to some great bars downtown. Enjoy your visit.

http://www.unionstationhotelnashville.com/

Music City, USA
reviews: 65
7. Re: hotel advice

I'd opt for the Renaissance due to its proximity to lower Broadway and 2nd Ave., but Union Station is only about 4 blocks further.

To clarify, the Germantown link in TFerrell's reply is in Memphis, not Nashville. Nashville's Germantown is north of downtown just past the Farmer's Market/Bicentennial Mall and is pretty much dead and is downright dangerous walking at night. Try Puckett's Grocery on the NW corner of 5th and Church for a good Southern meal. It's 2 blocks from the Renaissance.

Music City, USA
reviews: 65
8. Re: hotel advice

Note: The Germantown link in mine is also Memphis. Apparently TA is auto-linking that word.

Nashville, TN
Destination Expert
for Nashville
reviews: 2
9. Re: hotel advice

I think you will not find consensus on which property is best because they really don't compare well to eachother.

The Vanderbilt property is probably most like a Marriott in another city.

The Union Station has more character, both the positive and negative connotations of the word

The Renaissance is a little worn around the edges, but well-located.

US
Destination Expert
for Nashville
10. Re: hotel advice

I disagree that Germantown is dead or dangerous. I wouldn't walk TO there from Broadway, but the area around Germantown Cafe / Monell's is nice and feels perfectly safe, as is the block where City House is located. True it's not a wander-from-bar-to-bar area, but those are three very good restaurants; in fact by many measures City House is the best restaurant in town.