We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

Which Sunny Isles Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
reviews: 5
safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

I am traveling for first time to sunny isles beach, staying at a condo 2 blocks from the beach.. just wondering if I will be a target as I am elderly with a walker/rollator

tia

Staten Island, New...
reviews: 8
1. Re: safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

This is a very active area. Many seniors live and vacation here. I would say your biggest concern would be safely crossing Collins Avenue, a very busy roadway, much traffic, the beach access is paved - here are the various entry points.

--------------------------------------------

http://www.sibfl.net/beach_access.asp

------------------------------------------------

Many restaurants along Collins Ave. Bus service is good, "S", "E" "120" and free Sunny Isles shuttle bus too.

Montreal, Canada
reviews: 21
2. Re: safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

Was in Sunny isles in a condo 2 blocks from the beach. I am 78 years old, no stroller, but have a hard time walking. I found that two blocks from the beach is far enough as you have to carry your chairs and stuff. Never had trouble crossing Collins but the sandy beach is wide and I found it hard to walk right to the ocean. As a senior, I felt very safe and never had any problem even when alone on the beach.

Toronto, Canada
3. Re: safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

thanks very much for the info

Nottingham, United...
reviews: 104
4. Re: safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

The other posters are correct - Crossing Collins will be the hardest thing, but provided you do it at a crossing you will be fine. The roads and access to the beach are sound for using a walker and you see plenty of people using them. The Beach is very safe and well patrolled by life guards and the Sunny Isles Police - I would have no worries about your personal safety in the area. Have a lovely trip.

NYC
reviews: 4
5. Re: safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

It is a very safe area. Just be sure to cross Collins Ave at the designated cross-walks, where there are traffic lights. There are marked locations for easy beach access at various points throughout Sunny Isles Beach.

By the way, the city of Sunny Isles Beach has several special wheelchairs with wide tires designed to roll easily on the sand, available on loan at no charge -- just ask at one of the life guard stations, or phone City Hall for more information. You can find details on the city's website: www.sibfl.net

Toronto, Canada
6. Re: safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

thanks for the information

7. Re: safe for people with walker/rollator to go alone on beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 12, 2013