We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Hollywood, CA
Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

Our family will be staying in San Pancho last week in July and someone mentioned a Corn Festival in Jala (did I dream it? can't seem to find the thread). Could anyone please help. Any info regarding distance, directions and road conditions between the two would be truly appreciated. Thanks to all who reply- 4th trip to the PV area and your tips/advice is priceless and diligently noted.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
reviews: 12
1. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

I don't know anything about a Corn Festival but it sounds really interesting; Jala is rumored to have lots of "witches" so it may be a pagan festival, historical.

Jala is on the road to Guadalajara about 2 hours from San Pancho. Go north to Las Varras and then follow the road to Compostela and on to Jala. About 1hr 45 mins you will come to Chapallia, in a beautiful mountain valley, then start up again into the mountains and Jala will be a short distance. Take the toll road, there is a free or "libre" road but all the trucks take it, so it's slow and dangerous. The toll road or "quota" is much better driving. The first part of the trip (when you turn off into the mountains) is on free road through he coastal mountains to Compostela...no way around it...it's slow, so just be prepared for a grind. Just follow the signs to Guadalajara and you can't miss it...btw, the natural beauty is spectacular, so enjoy! If you go or find out more about the Corn Festival, please let us know...

North Hollywood, CA
2. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

Thanks you galeriacorazon for all the great tips and fast reply. I'm determined keep looking and I'll post if I find out anything further (luv my corn). Sounds like a good day trip either way.

San Pancho, Mexico
reviews: 3
3. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

Here you go -- a list of all activities in Nayarit for 2009 by month

www.rivieranayarit.com/site/calendar_nayarit

North Hollywood, CA
4. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

Thanks Tapdance - you're a jewel. I knew this forum would come through for me! Counting the days til we get to SP. We'll be in the area from the 18th on and staying at Casa del Cielo from the 25th on. Hope to see you nice folks soon.

San Pancho, Mexico
reviews: 3
5. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

All the larger restaurants are closed for the season but the following are still open:

San Pancho Cafe

Marias

Hotel Cielo Rojo

Also, the taco stands and the burrito restaurant on the plaza are opened at night and they are all safe and delicious.

If you have a car, Sayulita restaurants are still jumping and there are lots of good ones there (just a few miles south of San Pancho).

North Hollywood, CA
6. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

Thanks for the update. We'll be sorry to miss out on some of those tasty restaurants you've recommended here, but it was somewhat expected. Somehow I suspect we won't go hungry.

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
7. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

and since you are in a house, look for the shrimp truck and the fish market in town for really good fresh (huge) shrimp...if you miss him, the fish market in Sayulita carries the jumbo shrimp...also there are great vegetable/fruit trucks to shop from (and some nice marekts also.) Have a great time!

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias
reviews: 23
8. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

Wonderful site tapdance! Thanks so much for sharing it!!!!

rincon de...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
reviews: 2
9. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

Just one more item about Jala is if you park in front of their beautiful church and turn right 90 degrees you will see a large restored building that is a wonderful spa, check it out...

San Francisco...
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
10. Re: Jala, Nayarit Corn Festival

just wondering if you ever got to the Jala Corn Festival, and is so would you share what you found there with us? thanks...