We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long Term Stay in San Pancho/Sayulita

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which San Francisco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Telluride, Colorado
Long Term Stay in San Pancho/Sayulita

Hello everyone.

I am planning on coming down to the Sayulita/San Pancho area sometime around October/November of 2009, and I plan to stay anywhere from 2 to 6 months. I am actually considering moving there for an undetermined amount of time. Pretty much thinking that is where I want the next chapter of my life to unfold. So I am giving myself 6 months to see, if I can make things work down there. I will be looking for work and a place to stay, if I decide I am going to try and stay long term.

I visited San Pancho in May of 2008 and stayed there for about 3 weeks, so I got a pretty good feel for life there, and I think that it will suite me quite well. I actually have 2 friends who moved there about 2 years ago, and are now living there full time. So I get good info from them as well, but I see that there are some other full-time residents on this forum, so I am hoping to get some general information and advice and may be different perspective.

I have some questions that are more general about travel to Mexico, so I am not sure if this is the right forum to post them in. I have started to do research on the web, but I get very different, incomplete, out dated and sometimes contradicting info, so I am hoping I can get answers from people with first hand experience. Forgive me if this is not the pace to do this, but here are my questions in case someone can answer them:

1. Driving my car down there:

What exactly do I need to get in order to be able to drive my car down there from the States? I believe that I have to get some sort of permit at the border. I have also heard that my insurance would not be valid down there. Is this true?

2. Customs issues with bringing (used) electronics:

I am quite a techie, so I will be bringing possibly 2 computers and may be a smaller flat screen TV, camera gear, etc. with me. I have heard that I could get in trouble with customs. Are there structured guidelines as to what I can bring down? I assume it has something to do with over all cost of the equipment?

3. Lodging:

I may have a place to stay for the first month (or may be even 2) that I am down there (in Sayulita). My question is if I decide that I want to stay 6 months or even longer, if I can find work and get my work permit, etc., what are my choices. Obviously I would not want to rent the normal vacation rentals as they are quite expensive when you look at the weekly rates. I don't need anything fancy. A 1 bedroom at the most. Just some place nice and clean.

4. San Pancho vs. Sayulita:

I am wondering what anyone's opinion is in regards to staying in an Pancho vs. Sayulita. My friends say that as a single guy, I am probably better off staying in Sayulita, just because there is obviously more activities and people to meet there. Obviously the 2 are only 15-20 minutes apart, so in terms of access I guess it does not matter much. But I guess if I wanted to take advantage of a more lively nightlife and a generally more active town life, I would be better off staying in Sayulita. But I also expect it to be more expensive there as compared to San Pancho. Any comments?

If any of the full time residents want to correspond directly, I'd be happy to provide more details. I do not want to bore everyone here with my life story! ;-) But I will be coming down with the idea of becoming a resident and getting involved in the community (like with groups such as entreamigos), so I am hoping to get some things lined up before I even get there.

Thank you in advance for any info and comments you may have.

Telluride, Colorado
11. Re: Long Term Stay in San Pancho/Sayulita

"Do you know how hard it is to get working papers? And how much you will be paid??"

Are those questions or statements? ;-)

The answer is yes, I know it is "hard" to get papers. But if you are qualified, the it's a matter of applications, fees, etc. I already went through the process in the US. Immigration processes can be a pain, but what can you do...

As to the pay, no. I don't know how much I get paid, specially since I don't even know what I will be doing.

San Pancho, Mexico
reviews: 3
12. Re: Long Term Stay in San Pancho/Sayulita

Travel Judy is correct -- there is another step to getting permission to work in Mexico -- but it isn't insurmountable. If you go to work for a company they can often handle that hurdle for you. I worked for a large organization and their HR department handled all the work to making my FM3 a "working FM3". Time share companies do that regularly too.

The average small businessman on the street won't have those resources so you will have to do it. Thye thinking is that there better be a darn good reason for you to work here so that you aren't taking the job a Mexican could hold just for kicks. If you have unique skills (which it sounds like you do) or it is your own business (my husband had a bar -- it was his --- they let him work) you can get it done. There are people who help you do this for a fee (usually accountants).

13. Re: Long Term Stay in San Pancho/Sayulita

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:41 am, December 14, 2009
Get answers to your questions about San Francisco