We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Falls in Jamaica!

Which Santa Cruz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Which Falls in Jamaica!

I will be travelling with a group of 13 in early April. I am trying to book excursions ahead of time and am trying to get some info regarding the different waterfall attractions. We are cosidering either Dunns Falls, YS falls or Mayfied Falls. Wondering if anyone has been to all three and could offer an opinion on what the pros and cons are on each. I have emailed various tour companies but they do not offer any info on the differences and just say any would be nice.

We are travelling with kids aged 10-15, and are staying at Breezes Trelawny in Falmouth and distance could be a factor. We are also hoping to do other activities on the same day.

If anyone has any advice to offer, it would be very much appreciated!

4 replies to this topic
Central Ohio
Destination Expert
for Negril, Port Antonio
reviews: 43
1. Re: Which Falls in Jamaica!

If you are staying in Trelawny and distance is a factor I'd do Dunns - an hour away. I think the only non-cruise ship day on Ochi - which can make the falls quite crowded unless you go early or late - is Saturday but I am not positive.

Crowds shouldn't be much of a factor at Mayfield or YS, both of which would be at least two hours from you and I'd guess 2.5.

Dunns is steepest and most developed, it drops onto a beach. YS has a zip line and swimming pools as well as the falls to swim in. Mayfield is more of a river hike (in the water), there are pools to swim in as you walk.

Los Angeles...
2. Re: Which Falls in Jamaica!

Here are my album with pictures of the falls

Dunn's Falls: travel.webshots.com/album/579787735hOmmhH

YS Falls: travel.webshots.com/album/579789397VGJaAM

Ohio
reviews: 2
3. Re: Which Falls in Jamaica!

My family has been to these 3 places. I prefer YS falls over dunns river because the latter has become "touristy" (commercialized, pushy vendors, etc.) In YS falls you could try the zip line - my kids enjoyed it so much. From here Mayfields is already accessible. You can also drop by Black Safari river for a boat ride - your kids will surely enjoy!

To make your visit more worthwhile you can call Alrick Allen of http://yourjamaicantourguide.com to take you there. He knows a lot of good places to visit on the way there (lots of sightseeing, stopping on the road to get a coconut, etc) - the kind of tour you don't get from other tour companies :-)

Enjoy your trip!

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 16
4. Re: Which Falls in Jamaica!

I think Dunn's river offers the best over all experience personally... there's not many chances one has in their life to actually climb a waterfall :) it's one of my favourite falls

i personally see YS falls as very pretty and photographable, but way too controlled and touristy (you walk along a wooden pathway to go up the falls and you enter the water at pre-defined "stations" that they've set up)... the whole experience is all very manipulated and if there is even a smallish crowd, the pathway becomes congested and impassible, and the wagon ride in and out (which is fun i guess :) ) becomes packed and you have to wait for a good deal of time to get on (not a place to go if rain falls!)... this was the case the first time i went... the second time, the crowds weren't as bad, but it had just rained and most of the 'stations" were shut down because the water was too rough/dirty... Besides, YS from falmouth could 3 hours (or more depending on the route you take).. some of the roads you'd likely travel on are rough too...

With Dunns (and a group your size), you just go and climb at your own pace... stick over to the left (west) side of the falls and the tour groups will go right on past you with their link arms formation and you can just watch and giggle if one takes out the whole line :) (heheh just kidding, don't laugh, that's not nice!)... there are underwater caves at Dunns, you can challenge your group to see if anyone can find one... it'd be a fun time i'm sure :) and you can easily avoid the vendors at the top by heading out the gates the same way you came in...

Mayfields is a sleepier version of dunns in that you climb up the falls, which is more a river in Mayfield's case... it's still an enjoyable experience and you get to finish it off with a lunch in private "hut"s... it's a nice, more low key day... a little further from Falmouth, and the roads to get are a little rough... not sure if that's an issue..

if the youngest of the group is a fairly competent swimmer, i think Dunns would be the best choice for your group...it's closer and IMO a "must do at least once" experience... i've been about a half a dozen times :) Mayfield a close second... YS is my least favourite, but would be too far to really consider if distance is a concern anyways IMO...

Chelle

Reply to: Which Falls in Jamaica!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted