We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis then beach?

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
reviews: 10
Memphis then beach?

As everyone says there isn't enough for 2 weeks in Memphis .I was wondering if there are any beach areas that are nice and would be easliy accessible via plane from Memphis.I was looking at Myrtle Beach area, or along that coastline .Or any other suggestions of anywhere better.

Memphis
reviews: 80
1. Re: Memphis then beach?

Well...you can get anywhere from Memphis via plane. so I don't really understand the question. The problem with Memphis is that we have very few direct flights to anywhere, unless you want to pay a lot of money. Almost all flights will have a layover in Atlanta, Denver, Houston....somewhere like that, depending on where you are going.

Myrtle Beach is known to be nice. There is always Miami of course, a major city with many beaches. I mean really, the entire US is surrounded in beaches...that's just what the coastline is. Gulf Coast, Destin, Tampa, Key West, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Panama City....just pick anywhere on the edge! :) And those are just some of the SE US areas. California is of course known for their great beaches and surfing.

It will cost a lot of money to get to though. You can get to Gulf Shores via car is about 6 hours, but in my opinion, that's not a very nice beach. No waves, no ocean...just water.

Memphis, Tennessee
reviews: 1
2. Re: Memphis then beach?

The Gulf coast is the closest, and, as long as you are east of Mobile Bay, the sand is white and the water is generally clear and pretty. As Pearlbob noted, not known for its surf! However, I think most people find it very pretty and the water tends to be a lot warmer than the Atlantic. I'm not sure what she means by "no ocean" at Gulf Shores, though -- I'd consider the Gulf of Mexico to be ocean, but whatever! On the east coast, my inclination would be to avoid Miami or Myrtle Beach and maybe hit the Outer Banks in North Carolina (e.g., barrier islands running along the coast, from Okracoke up to about Duck). It's beautiful and a little bit less overdeveloped. You can fly from Memphis into Newport News, Virginia and rent a car.

Of course it's all in what you are looking for; do you want less-crowded beaches? Migratory birds to watch? Deep-sea fishing? Historical sites? Nightclubs? Factory outlet shopping? Waterslides? Surf? Gentle waves for toddlers? Knowing what you're looking for would help a lot!

Tampa, FL
3. Re: Memphis then beach?

For nice beaches & clear, calm water, I recommend the gulf coast of Florida. Of course, I'm biased. ;-) You can often walk into the gulf up to your shoulders & see your feet. You won't find that on the east coast. My sisters like to come & pick up sand dollars on the ocean floor. I also like the fact that we don't have waves (similar to a lake). I like to take a float & just lay & relax in the water. Our water is also warmer than that of east coast beaches. The downside is there's not as much to do as you will find in Myrtle Beach.

MB is the ultimate beach destination for attractions. Have you ever been to Pigeon Forge or Branson, MO. If you have, think of MB as the PF of beaches. You could spend a month there & not get bored. They have some great dinner shows that you may be interested in. The shopping options are plentiful. In other words, when we're in the mood for a nice, relaxing beach getaway, we go to the gulf. When we're in the mood to enjoy the ocean & be entertained, we go to MB. IMHO, MB is the best east coast beach, simply because it has so much more to offer.

If you have any more questions about any other beaches, feel free to ask. We've been to many of them on the east coast & gulf.

Memphis
4. Re: Memphis then beach?

I must say, Clearwater (Tampa) seemed like a very nice beach. But it does depend on what you are looking for. I guess living in this area for so long, I've been to so many beaches in Florida and the gulf, that now what I really would like are beaches in Cali or Hawaii, with the big waves. I think it's very nice to relax on the calm beaches we have in the SE, but it's so cool to see surfers and it's sort of a different atmosphere out there as well. They typical "surfer kids" type of atmosphere I guess. Miami is sort of a glitzy beach, like people are there to party and look pretty and not really there for the sand and water. But.....I think in the continental US....Miami beach has the bluest water I have ever seen. I was in awe when I first saw it. I have not been up the coast north of Florida, so I would not know about those beaches, but they have always seemed more...oh, vacation home type thing to me. Like places that families go to rent a home and spend a week. A lot of the Florida beaches seem like the sun and sand type beaches where people go to get tan and have some pina coladas. :) Both have their benefits! I guess I'm more of the pina colada by day, nightlife by night type of person though.

So...that being said, you are from England so I imagine really any type of sunny beach would appeal to you When is it you are traveling? If it's in the spring, then the most southern beaches would probably offer the best weather. (or, if you are thinking west coast, it's always warm out there).

Tampa, FL
5. Re: Memphis then beach?

It's funny how 2 people can go to the same place, & have a totally different experience. :p We've been to the coast of California in April & June & froze both time. In June, it rained every day, which attributed to the chill I'm sure. In Apr., it was just cold. Then again, we're used to southwest Florida weather, so it would probably feel colder to us than most. Would we go back? Sure we would. The rugged coast of California is beautiful & totally different from what we're used to. Of the places we visited, we enjoyed San Francisco the most, & will definitely return. It's a fabulous city! However, I definitely wouldn't fly across the country for their beaches.

Hawaii is in a league all it's own. Unfortunately, it's a very long flight from TN, & also much more expensive than a beach vacation in the Continental US. If long flights don't bother you, & money's not an issue, I agree that Hawaii would be the way to go.

Memphis
6. Re: Memphis then beach?

Well, true. A lot of Cali gets pretty cool! I guess it's more of the year long good weather that I was thinking of, as compared to Florida where it rains often.

Hawaii is sooo far away, and if you're coming from overseas anyway, the Caribbean is much closer.

Gulf Shores is about a 6 hour drive from Memphis. That is the closest beach to here. It's sort of referred to as "Memphis South" due to so many Memphians that travel there on vacation.

Myrtle Beach
7. Re: Memphis then beach?

You do not mention the time frame, if you decide on Myrtle Beach during April-August, quite a busy time and accomodations can be iffy, even for an area as large as ours. On the Road did correctly describe Myrtle Beach as Pigeon Forge, it certainly resembles it in many ways. We have a nice beach area, but at certain times can have a high level of bacteria in the water, after heavy rains, which can infringe on your time at the beach, if you are interested in swimming in the ocean. Our water is not the pretty blues/greens you find further south closer to the Keys, its a brownish, greenish color, also, again time of year matters, our water really won't warm up until well into May, you can try April but its chilly.

Birmingham, United...
reviews: 10
8. Re: Memphis then beach?

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give out this info its really useful.

I think Pearbob must be chained to the computer he replies super fast!!!! Many thanks .

9. Re: Memphis then beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 am, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Memphis