We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

eats

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ballyclare, United...
reviews: 88
eats

Hello all

Planning my trip in Sept (early I know). Have booked Hampton on Beale for 3 nights. Just checking out restaurants and nightlife but getting concerned at the conflicting reviews. Will not have rental so reliant of cabs, footpower etc.

Any local expert advice??

Much appreciated

mpo

By the way we are from Northern Ireland so coming a long way.

arkansas
reviews: 1
11. Re: eats

Good heavens! Like other foods, barbeque is a matter of personal taste, and there are LOTS of varieties - dry, wet, vinegar-based, tomato-based, chili-based, etc., etc., etc. I'm not a huge barbeque fan, but I know lots of people who absolutely swear by the Rendezvous. Perhaps it IS a tourist "trap," but most places frequented by tourists can be called that. Graceland, for example. And I certainly don't think it's helpful to tell someone interested in Memphis restaurants near the Peabody Hampton Inn to suggest they'd do better in another state.

mpo8000 - First, I'd advise you to get a room on the opposite side of the hotel from Beale Street. We've stayed there several times, and once had a really LOUD evening with Beale Street music blaring, and me ending up trying to get some sleep lying on the bathroom floor! Before that, we'd had several good experiences on that side of the hotel, but that one really bad time cured us of wanting to stay there. Some of the rooms on the opposite side of the hotel have balconys and are fun to watch the crowds at night.

As for restaurants, there will be lots of good options within walking distance of the Hampton Inn. We haven't had any remarkable food on Beale Street yet, but we've had great meals other places. I think you'll have a wonderful time, and love the hotel AND the food!

arkansas
reviews: 1
12. Re: eats

Just as clarification, the loud music experience didn't prevent us from wanting to stay at the Hampton Inn...just on the side of the hotel facing Beale Street. It's a good hotel!

South Florida
reviews: 10
13. Re: eats

I agree about The Rendezvous, It is my favorite place to eat in Memphis. Also Gumbo at the Blues City Cafe.

God Bless

Arkansas
reviews: 50
14. Re: eats

We just got back from staying at the Hampton Inn on Beale Street. We stayed on the side facing Handy Park and although you could slightly hear the music even with the balcony door shut, it did not bother me. (I cannot go to sleep with the TV or music playing, so it must have been fairly quiet) But you can always request a room on the other side. But the view of Handy Park and Beale street from the balcony on the street side is somehting. Just watching all the goings on is mesmerizing. The Main street Trolley can take you most places, as well as many that are within walking distance. There is also a shuttle. (You can ask for details about it at the Memphis Duck Tour stand right outside the Hotel) It is free and when we took the duck tour their driver recommended it. It takes you to all the blues and civil rights museums etc. We had a car but it sat in the garage almost all the time. We could have easily not used it at all. The hotel is among the best I have ever stayed in. It has the best breakfasts I have ever had for free at a hotel. The staff was excellent, the place was clean, the security perfect. There is a Ben & Jerrys right outside the door. We really researched our trip and after staying there, I would never stay anywhere else in Memphis. We stayed with my mom and two kids. Everyone had a safe, exciting, romantic, wonderful time.

Ballyclare, United...
reviews: 88
15. Re: eats

It's been a while since I checked back on this site, once again good information, especially regarding the hotel and noise.

I'm very open minded when it comes to food and fully understand that as a tourist I will do the tourist things, because those are tried and tested, so the rendezvous will probably get a visit.

We do love BBQ however so will try a few as suggested.

My thanks to all

mpo

16. Re: eats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 15, 2009