We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excited and nervous

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Derby, United...
reviews: 4
Excited and nervous

I am more excited than................. the most excited thing you can imagine, that this time next week i will be on my way to Memphis. However I am also feeling really nervous about the whole thing.

I have never been to America (unless you include a stop off to refuel at Sanford on our way to Acaplco lol) and the thought of it just makes me feel nervous and i am also worried that when i get there i wont know where to go, what to do? do i have to tip people, if so who, where do i go to book tours, All that kind of stuff.

One thing i know for sure is that I am going to Graceland and i shall be frequenting Beale st, no doubt about those two :D

i am travelling with my friend and going to graceland has been our dream since we was youngsters.

We are staying at the Peabody hotel so i am hoping that somebody there will have lots of information for us. My sense of direction is rubbish so i am hoping i dont spend the 5 days trying to find my way back to our hotel :D

Just so excited and nervous at the same time, its a strange feeling and i cant believe i will be there in 6 days

Derby, United...
reviews: 4
1. Re: Excited and nervous

ALSO where is the best place to get tickets for the Graceland tour? I have heard things about sun studios tour which we shall also be doing but is this just the shuttle to Graceland or can i buy tickets there too? Am i best to get tickets before i arrive in Memphis (taking into consideration i only have 6 days before my departure :D x

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
reviews: 163
2. Re: Excited and nervous

There's no need to purchase Graceland or Sun tickets before your arrival. The only time Graceland is likely to sell out is during Elvis week. There is a free shuttle from downtown to Graceland to Sun, but you must take the studio tour to use it. You should buy your tickets for these two attractions when you arrive at each attraction. You can find more info on this shuttle service under the top questions about Memphis on this forum page at the upper right hand corner.

Downtown Memphis is very compact and you won't have any trouble navigating it. If you're confused, just ask someone. Trolley drivers, restaurant servers, hotel staff, etc. will all be very helpful. There are some panhandlers downtown and you'd be best advised to not even speak to them. Just completely ignore them if they approach you or talk to you.

downtownmemphiscommission.com/say-no-to-panh…

Yes, we tip in America. For restaurants, its about 15 - 20% of the bill. If you double the tax on the bill, that will be about 20%. You can go up or down from there, but that's an easy way to get some idea of the amount. For bartenders, average is about $1 - 2 per drink. For bellmen, sky caps, etc., the standard is about $1 - 2 per bag up to a certain limit. If I have a few bags on a luggage cart, I will normally tip $5. Cab drivers normally get about 10 - 15%. For me, it depends on how helpful they've been. Some drivers are helpful with loading and unloading bags, give you good info on local places, etc. and I will tip them more to show my appreciation. Some counter service restaurants have tip jars. I do not tip in these places, but some folks do. Some shuttle buses will have tip jars and, again, for me, its going to depend on if they were friendly, helpful, etc. as to whether or not I will tip them anything. Tipping is meant to be a way to show appreciation for good service. If you receive less than satisfactory service, even in restaurants, don't feel the need to tip.

3. Re: Excited and nervous

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Memphis