We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - May 06

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dublin, Ireland
reviews: 23
Trip Report - May 06

Just back from our hols in the US of which Memphis was one of our stops. We were unlucky enough to have a number of problems with our hotel but we made the best of it and had a good time anyway.

We found some lovely restaurants to eat in on the trolley line stop closest too Beale Street, (apologies the name escapes me at the moment but it was a new place, with ourdoor seating) and had a great time listening to the music in the bars along Beale Street. We also visited Graceland and it was so worthwhile. We were blown away by allthe information you received and they was the house was set up. We particularly enjoyed having a quick look around the "Lisa Marie" plane, if only all of them were outfitted like that!

One of the few disappointments was the lack of shops downtown, the exception being a few in Peabody Place. We did make a brief trip to the Wolfchase Galleria which was great but onyl if you have access to a car, it's quite a bit out. i do have a question though that maybe someone can answer: Where are all the people???

During the day (mid-week) we barely saw half a dozen people along the trolley route at the back of the Marriott. There seemed to be a lot of offices in the vicinity but we never seemed to saa any life in or around them. It was a little strange. A large number of people we did see seemed to be homeless. But they left you alone for the most part.

We had no car in Memphis and travelled there from Nashville by Greyhound. We toyed with the idea of driving but in the end took the lazy option. I had received some great advice in relation to they bus station before travelling and thankfully we had no problems. I think if you are up to take the early buses 9/10am your chance of problems are a lot less. Our bus back to Nashville was 1/2 empty which was great as we had plenty of space to stretch out.

All in all we had a good time in Memphis. Graceland was a major highlight and Beale St at the weekend is lots of fun. Midweek we found the place to be a bit deserted. By the way we encountered such friendly people there, so thank for treating us so well and making our hols memorable for allt he right reasons!

Chicago
reviews: 12
1. Re: Trip Report - May 06

Most people downtown are working during the day... e.g. in the convention center across from your hotel... and all the local office buildings? You'll see them along the trolley line at lunch hour..

And then there's the tourists. I don't know where they go during the day, we take care of shopping, eating, and out-of-town visits during the day... coming back for dinner & the nightlife...

It seems to be an ongoing debate whether downtown and Beale are dead in the early part of the week. I always said yes but there are one or two people on here who have disagreed.

/pbz

arkansas
reviews: 1
2. Re: Trip Report - May 06

What hotel did you stay in? The great thing about these posts is that others can learn from everyone else's experiences - both good and bad!

Dublin, Ireland
3. Re: Trip Report - May 06

We stayed in the Marriott which was a major disappointment to be honest. But to be fair to the hotel they did compensate us for the list of problems we gave them. Consequently I'd have no problem staying at another Marriott again. There was nothing horrendously bad ie: no bugs in rooms or anything, but all the little incidents like not booking us on tours, no towels in room after housekeeping had been, no water/towels at the gym/pool could have been easily avoided. The staff are very friendly but need to be more proactive rather than just reacting to issues as they occur. It's quite an old hotel I feel, well decor wise anyway. Our room was very dated and had worn pieces of furniture but i do believe there are renovated rooms somewhere in the hotel and perhaps they'd be much better. However, the location of the hotel was great.

Thanks for the info regarding where all the people were during the day but even at lunch time we only saw a handful of bodies! V strange. I definetly would only recommend people to stay downtown at the weekend at least Beale St is v lively then.

To anyone staying at the Marriott I have to say we found the walk back along the trolley route at night a bit daunting. There are a lot of homeless people along this stretch and we felt very conspicious but apart from that Memphis was great.

By the way aovid the Hard Rock Cafe. When we arrived we were starving an just popped into the Hard Rock for a bite to eat as it was one of the first places we saw. I honestly never expect gourment food there but it's generally fairly ok. Wrong, wrong, wrong. I got a club sanwich which apparently had chicken in it but it was not real chicken by any stretch of the imagination. The same chicken like substitute was also in my friends salad. We should have said something to our overly familiar server who saw fit to sit down beside us when ordering or any time we asked him for something but honestly we'd had a long trip in and just wanted to go lie down for a while.

I know I've mentioned a few negative things here but believe me we did have a good time and they didn't deter from out visit.

Memphis
reviews: 80
4. Re: Trip Report - May 06

The north part of Main St where the Marriott is has the most bums. Usually they don't harass you too much, but you always need to use caution. The Marriott just built a new expansion and doubled in size. It sounds like you may have been on the older side.

Hard Rock is a huge 1980's-esque restaurant chain. I always think of them as the type of place who knows they will get tourists therefore they don't have to try hard to have good food. In their defense though, waiters sitting at the table to take your order is not uncommon here in the U.S. Just a way of being friendly. And I think if I had to be on my feet for 8 hours a day, I'd take every chance I could to sit down as well!

During the day Memphis downtown is just the businessmen. Lunch is always very busy. Otherwise, it's not crowded at all. Really the weekends are when people come downtown.

5. Re: Trip Report - May 06

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 pm, June 06, 2006
New Orleans
6. Re: Trip Report - May 06

wow, your report really makes a case

arkansas
7. Re: Trip Report - May 06

I'd just like to add that apparently you stayed at the Marriott Hotel and NOT at the Marriott Residence Inn, which is also in downtown. We've stayed at the Residence Inn lots of times and it's in a good, safe location and the suites are clean.

Dublin, Ireland
8. Re: Trip Report - May 06

Your right Pearlbob if I was standing onmy feet all day I'd take the opportunity to sit down when it came along. I suppose given that we're not used to that type of behaviour in restaurants at home it just felt a little strange and a bit intrusive. Ultimatley though no harm done.

Yes Susancs we did stay in the Marriott Memphis Downtown not the Residence Inn

9. Re: Trip Report - May 06

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 pm, August 16, 2009