We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 Nights in Memphis and Thanksgiving

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
2 Nights in Memphis and Thanksgiving

We are an Australian couple visiting Memphis in November on our way to Dallas. The nights of 23 and 24. My husband has mobility difficulties and travels with a small fold up scooter which fits on public transport and in our hire car. Would it be possible for us to visit Sun Studio, Gracelands and the Civil rights museum in one day? We are not huge Elvis fans so are not interested in visiting his birthplace.

Does anyone have suggestions for moderately priced accommodation with parking convienent for visiting these sites? Also what traps are there at the sites for someone who has difficulty with more than a few stairs?

Finally, I realise that the night before is Thanksgiving. We will be coming from the Smoky Mountains direction. Where is a good place to stay and get the Thanksgiving experience we all hear about? Lots of atmospheric and interesting places often have too many stairs for my husband.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
reviews: 159
1. Re: 2 Nights in Memphis and Thanksgiving

You would be really pressed to see all three of these in one day. Graceland takes about 2 hours to see the mansion and 4 hours or more if you want to see the mansion and all the additional exhibits. Sun takes about 90 minutes. The Civil Rights Museum takes at least 2 hours to see as well.

If you wanted to take the free shuttle from downtown to Graceland and Sun, I don't think you could do all this without being really, really rushed (you must take the studio tour to use this shuttle). If you choose to drive to Graceland and catch the earliest tour, you might be able to do all this. Keep in mind that Graceland is about 10 miles from downtown, where Sun and the Civil Rights Museum are located. You have to allow for drive time, lunch, gift shop browsing, etc. Also, because of the holiday weekend, expect larger than usual crowds at tourist attractions, restaurants, shopping centers, etc. and heavier traffic.

I would suggest you stay downtown. For moderately priced hotels, check the Residence Inn, Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn, Doubletree, Springhill or Courtyard for starters. A trolley system runs downtown and that will get you to the Civil Rights Museum and Beale. Sun is not on the trolley line. Most downtown hotels offer paid valet parking or paid parking near their hotel. Another idea would be to stay near Graceland at either the Heartbreak Hotel or the Days Inn. Both offer free self parking lots. The big downside to staying in that area is that there's not much else there as far as restaurants, etc.

Graceland does have some sites that can't be seen without walking a flight of stairs. I believe Sun and the Civil Rights Museum are disabled friendly.

Where will you be spending the night on Thanksgiving night, Nov. 22; in Memphis or in east TN?

Melbourne, Australia
2. Re: 2 Nights in Memphis and Thanksgiving

Thanks for all that. I will follow up your accommodation advice .

I will plan to visit one of the locations either when we arrive or the day we leave.

I am not sure where to stay on Thanksgiving night. I had contemplated getting to Memphis earlier,staying at the hotel with the ducks(sorry the name escapes me at the moment) and booking dinner there. The accommodation sounds expensive and not worth the money.

We enjoy good food and hope for a typical American experience since we don,t have this celebration in Australia. I don't mind an expensive meal if it is quality and imagine that you pay a premium for Thanksgiving.

We wondered if there was another option that was further east towards Chatanooga and the mountains that was better. It might be less difficult to negotiate than a large city.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
3. Re: 2 Nights in Memphis and Thanksgiving

You're thinking of the Peabody Hotel. It is lovely, but expensive. Of course, hotel prices will be a bit higher that weekend as its a holiday and lots of folks travel then. Its downtown, right in the thick of things. So, even if you stay elsewhere downtown, you could still have dinner there. Other places will offer dinner that day as well. Normally the newspaper publishes a list of those restaurants and I'd be glad to put that on here when it becomes available in November. In the mean time, you can check out this previous post about places that served Thanksgiving dinner last November.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g55197-i210-k53084…

Are you saying you might stop somewhere between east TN and here for dinner? If so, you might check out Nashville. You would need to ask on their forum for possiblilities there.

Melbourne, Australia
4. Re: 2 Nights in Memphis and Thanksgiving

Thank you for all the advice.

After finding out that there are so many extra things because of it being Thanksgiving I think we will stay 3 nights in Memphis.

The restaurant at Peabodys seems to get great reviews from foodie sites. I think I will try for the cheaper accommodation and go for the special dinner.

The link you provided has lots of stuff to follow up on. I can see we won't be bored!!!

I just need to do some careful planning to check that everything we plan to do is handicap friendly

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
5. Re: 2 Nights in Memphis and Thanksgiving

You're so welcome. Let us know if you have additional questions.

6. Re: 2 Nights in Memphis and Thanksgiving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, August 21, 2013