We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Jefferson City, MO
reviews: 3
Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Driving from Missouri to New Orleans with a 15 month old and we want to split it into two days. We are thinking of stopping near or just before Memphis. I want a decent clean, safe place that does not look like a setting for a slasher movie. Inexpensive preferrably, along the lines of Comfort Inn, Best Western, Holiday Inn would be good, but would do Super 8 type as well. I prefer to stay as near 55 as possible, don't want to get lost. We originally planned to just drive and stop when we felt like it, but now wondering if it would not be better to book online with a travel site. Ideas?

Jefferson City, MO
1. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Or maybe we can stay outside of Memphis. We are leaving Jefferson City Mo (about 2 hours from St. Louis MO) at noon and hope to stop around 7 ish. I am not really sure what is the half way point. I don't mind a little more than half way, just as long as its safe.

Edited: 11:51 pm, April 16, 2012
Lakeland, TN
Destination Expert
for Tennessee
reviews: 40
2. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

It might be a little dramatic to characterize anywhere along I-55 in the Memphis area as "slasher movie" material. Try just south of the city at Goodman Rd. in the MS / Memphis suburb of Southaven. Visible from interstate 55 are Drury Inn, Sleep Inn and every other chain product you can think of along with every chain drive in chicken & burger place you can squeeze onto one road. There's little else until the Grenada exit 100 miles south.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
3. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

There are lots of decent places in Southaven just off the 55, plenty of eating places too,

Barnhart
reviews: 2
4. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Southaven would have more to choose from than Grenada. And past Grenada then you're into Jackson (although there's a really nice suburb just to the north of Jackson called Ridgeland that has a lot to choose from).

Jefferson City, MO
5. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Thanks. So if I was looking on an online travel site like the wire one or name your own price, what areas should I put it.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
reviews: 163
6. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Are you talking about your north MS options? I've gone to priceline.com and entered Horn Lake, MS on name your own price. The choices it brings up that would be in that area are Horn Lake, Southaven or Hernando. It also lists Olive Branch, but I believe the hotels you'd get from that would be away from I 55.

Mississippi
reviews: 9
7. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

I would move on through Memphis and stop around Exit 289 at Goodman Road. The Drury Inn is nice. There's 6/7 hotels at that IS and plenty of places to eat and shop.

Drury Inn & Suites South - Memphis - Horn Lake

735 West Goodman Road, Horn Lake, MS

(662) 349-6622 ‎ ·

Edited: 3:36 pm, April 18, 2012
Mississippi
reviews: 9
8. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Here's a few places to stop and rest on your way to NOLA.

If you stop near Grenada, MS go to High on the Hog or Jake and Rips for good road food.

High on the Hog BBQ @ 711 Lakeview Dr., Grenada, MS 662 - 226 - 5635.

Jake and Rips @ at 1525 Sunset Dr., Grenada, MS 662 - 227 - 9955.

Hickory Pit is a great place to stop in Jackson, MS for good BBQ.

Hickory Pit @ 1491 Canton Mart Road, Jackson, MS 601 - 956 - 7079.

…metromix.com/restaurants/…content

For good BBQ get off I 55 at Exit 72 in Crystal Springs, MS and go E on Highway 27. Go E for about a mile to the Intersection of Highway 27 and Highway 51 to Louise's for outstanding BBQ. Google has Louise's home address so a GPS may take you to the wrong place. Just go straight from I 55 on Highway 27 to the IS of 51 and 27. It's in a brown frame building with a high yellow sign. Here's a link to their menu. They are open to about 9 PM.

Bring an ice chest and pick up some custom processed meat from Wilson's Meathouse in Crystal Springs. Get off I 55 at Exit 68 towards Crystal Springs and go E for .4 mile to Highway 51. Take a right and go 1.1 mile and Wilson's will be on your left.

Louise Open Pit BBQ @ 26164 Hwy. 27, Crystal Springs, MS. 601 - 892 - 5003.

carpejackson.com/2010/…

Wilson's Meathouse @ 23086 U.S. 51, Crystal Springs, MS 601 - 892 - 2951.

sararoahen.com/Sara_Roahen/Active_Blog/Entri…

If you want good soul food near Summit, MS get off I 55 at Exit 20 and go W. Take your first right on Old Brookhaven Road and go N to Doretha's.

Doretha's @ 1139 Old Brookhaven Road, Summit, MS 601 - 276 - 9594.

For the best southern cooking in the US go to Dinner Bell in McComb, MS. They are open for lunch only Tuesday through Sunday. Get off I 55 at Exit 17 and go E on Delaware Avenue to S Broadway. Take a right and go 2 blocks to 5th Avenue. Take a right and go to Dinner Bell. You will sit around large lazy susan tables filled with southern specials like fresh vegetable casseroles, fried eggplant and fried chicken. Stop by on your way N.

The Dinner Bell @ 229 5th Ave., McComb, MS. 601 - 684 - 4883.

http://www.thedinnerbell.net/index.html

If you take a rest stop near the LA/MS state line at Osyka, MS get off I 55 at Exit 1 and go E on Highway 584 and go to Second Street. Take a right and go to Nyla's for outstanding burgers and country food. The nearby town of Kentwood, LA is the home of Britney Spears who is a frequent visitor at Nyla's.

Nyla's Burger Basket @ 1071 Second Street, Osyka, MS 601 - 542 - 5032.

BBQ Station is a good stop in Independence, LA. Get off I 55 at Exit 40 and go E on Highway 40 to Railroad Avenue. Take a right and go two blocks for good BBQ.

Bar B Que Station @ 563 W. Railroad Ave., Independence, LA. 985 - 878 - 3747.

If you have never been to Middendorf's Restaurant you must stop at Exit 15 off I 55. Go E to Highway 51 and turn right. Go S about a mile to some fine fresh seafood right off the boat. They also serve great salads, gumbo, sandwiches and steaks. Stop to rest even if you don't eat. Get a cold drink and head back.

Middendorf's @ 30160 Highway 51, Akers, LA 985 - 386 - 6666.

http://middendorfsrestaurant.com/

Perth, Australia
reviews: 27
9. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Even if you are not an Elvis fan, there are two places to stay near Graceland, on Elvis Presley Boulevard ... easy to get to near the I-55.

Days Inn Graceland - we stayed there and it was nice, with big rooms, a pool and free breakfast.... free parking, is south of Graceland Plaza.

Heartbreak Hotel is on the northern side of Graceland Plaza. ...

Jefferson City, MO
10. Re: Looking for a decent cheap hotel near I-55

Update: We stayed at Quality Inn in South Haven, MS. It was nice. Near the airport I believe, I thought I heard planes. But it was clean, not scary, close to the highway and just one exit from multiple restaurants and Kroger.

Get answers to your questions about Memphis