We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memphis next weekend

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississippi
reviews: 1
Memphis next weekend

Hi,

We live in Central Mississippi, and I recently discovered that there is a settlement of Amish living in north MS. They sell rugs, baskets, etc. Next Saturday we plan to make a visit there. While we are up that way, we thought we might go on up to Memphis for a day or two. We have 3 children, but only 2 will be going with us - a boy, 13, and a girl, 9.

We are on a budget, so I am trying to find fun, interesting things to do for free or low cost. I am also unsure of the area of some of the attractions. Please give some feedback on the following:

Memphis Zoo - we are members of our zoo, so we can get in for half off.

Elmwood Cemetary - looks interesting from what I see online. Is it safe to visit? One site mentioned the neighborhood it is located in.

Fire Museum

riding the trolley - will we be in safe neighborhoods?

visiting Beale Street

Any other ideas? Any thoughts? We may be there on Sunday. Will that make a difference?

Thanks!!

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
reviews: 163
1. Re: Memphis next weekend

Wow! I'd like to know where the Amish community is, if you don't mind. We have visited some Amish and Mennonite communities over the years and always enjoy it.

Anyway, are you planning to spend the night? If so and if its in your budget, I would suggest staying downtown as many attractions are within walking or trolley ride distance of the hotels. If you can't swing that, I'd suggest staying in east Memphis, around Poplar and I 240 or north MS, around Goodman Rd. and I 55.

The Memphis Zoo is fantastic and is perfectly safe. Depending on how much you want to see, you can spend up to all day.

Elmwood is one of my personal favorites and is quite safe during the day and at night when they give evening guided tours.

http://www.elmwoodcemetery.org/

The Fire Museum, imho, is really aimmed at kids younger than yours. There is an assortment of fire equipment for climbing and playing on that your daughter might enjoy, but I doubt your son would. Of course, there are other areas of the museum about the history of MFD, some other old equiprment to see, info about infamous Memphis fires, etc., but the centerpiece for kids is that equipment they can play on.

The only trolley lines you would be interested in is the Main Street line and the riverfront loop. Downtown Memphis, including the trolley, Beale, the Fire Museum and other attractions is one of the safest areas of the city with a high police presence.

As for Beale, there is live music seven days a week, including plenty to hear outside the clubs and restaurants. Your kids will be able to go into a restaurant with you, sit down, have dinner and listen to live music. They would not be allowed in clubs or bars that allow smoking at TN law prohibits that. While on Beale, be sure to walk through A. Schwabs.

Other things your kids might like would be Civil Rights Museum, Pink Palace Museum, Memphis Botanical Garden (they have a designated children's garden), National Ornamental Metal Museum and Lichterman Nature Center. If the weather is decent, you might all enjoy strolling in Tom Lee Park on the riverfront.

As for being a Sunday, check the individual attraction's websites for hours and days of operation.

Mississippi
reviews: 1
2. Re: Memphis next weekend

Thank you so much! I was kind of wondering if perhaps the Fire Museum would be a little too "young." Thank you!

The Amish are in Randolph, MS in Pontotoc County. (Hope I'm spelling all that correctly!)

Thanks!

Mississippi
reviews: 9
3. Re: Memphis next weekend

Here's some info on the only Amish Community in MS.

http://amishamerica.com/mississippi-amish/

Mississippi
reviews: 9
4. Re: Memphis next weekend

Here's an email I received from a friend of mine about the Amish Community.

I have purchased a cedar chest and a bentwood rocker made by local furniture makers there. I used to be friends with a couple of them but one died (he was in his 90s) and the other moved to the Amish settlement in Tennessee. I have been inside a couple of homes there. It really is like going back a century in time. The people are friendly but generally do not become friends. The reason I was able to make friends with some of them is because my son's father-in-law has earned their trust. He is the one who introduced me to them.

The best day to visit is Saturday. During the week, most of the men work in a local sawmill. It is on Saturdays when the vegetables and baked goods are put out for sale.

To get there, from Pontotoc travel south on Hwy 9 about 9 miles to CR 140 on the left. A cotton gin on the left marks the intersection. Shortly after turning left on CR 140 (also called Oak Forest Road) you will notice some old-fashioned white homes in the distance on the left side of the road. That's the beginning of the community. There are several homesteads on Oak Forest/CR 140. There are also several on Houpt Road, which intersects Oak Forest. If you continue on Oak Forest a mile or so, it will deadend at Salmon Road (CR 138.) Turn right on Salmon Road and you will see a number of Amish homes on both sides. Follow Salmon Road until it intersects Topsy Road. Turn right on Topsy Road and after a short ways you will come to the furniture maker's home on the right.

Nearly all the Amish homes are marked by signs at the driveway. Nearly all of them are white two-story homes. You can usually distinguish the non-Amish homes by the debris and rusted out cars in the yards.

When they relocate, they usually sell-off their furniture and equipment. They are incredibly practical. When they relocate, the first thing the build is their barn. They sleep in the barn with their animals while they next build their shop. The last structure they build is their house.

Memphis, Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Memphis
reviews: 163
5. Re: Memphis next weekend

You're welcome, luv-teaching, and thanks to you both for that info about the Amish community. We visited the Amish community in OH a couple of years ago. Its the largest in the US. They have this fantastic cyclorama that explains their religious beliefs, life style, etc. It was quite interesting, the shopping was good and the food was fantastic.

Bartlett, Tennessee
6. Re: Memphis next weekend

The Memphis Zoo is so much fun. They have done alot of work to it over the years and you will enjoy it alot.Have fun on your trip.

7. Re: Memphis next weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 am, October 19, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Memphis