We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
swansea uk
reviews: 1
Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

Hi

If anybody has done this, please could you provide some advice on how easy it is to change terminals, how long does it take etc.

We are flying AA from Heathrow to Chicago, changing to an AA Embraer (50 seater) to fly on to Memphis.

How was the flight in the Embraer?

How was the flight with AA to Chicagoe

Many Thanks in advance

rogersville,tn
1. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

look out for long delays in chicago.even just to get off your plane.watch out on the moving side walks....the people will run you over...the mcdonalds fast food place is great there.good luck leave yourself plenty of plane swapping time.and most important of all is god bless you and yours.

Annapolis, MD, USA
reviews: 1
2. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

Wizard,

O'Hare is huge, but they have a little subway that moves you around between the terminals...The entire ride covers 2.7 miles in 9 minutes...so that part is quick...after customs, of course.

Manchester, United...
reviews: 10
3. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

We had the pleasure of connecting Chicago for Memphis. It is not something we would do again. We had to leave our baggage, unlocked on the floor and told to go get the train to the other terminal. We flew from Manchester and on to United. The airport is huge, and you do have to move as quickly as possible. We were convinced we would not see our luggage again, but we did. If we had to go that route again, it probably wouldn't seem so bad. Last year we went to Memphis but flew to Atlanta and drove from there. Now Atlanta airport......,well that's another story!.

Good luck, you'll need it.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
reviews: 3
4. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

Well....? tell me about the story of arriving in Memphis via Atlanta, I've been waiting on you finishing the story for ages. lol

I would be interested as I'm arriving in Memphis via Atlanta in a months time.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
5. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

I've arrived in Memphis via Chicago before too. It did take me around an hour or more just to get where I needed to be. I’ve also arrived in Memphis from Denver & Newark, but this will be my first time arriving via Atlanta. It's a new flight that goes direct from Scotland with a stop at Atlanta then a connecting flight to Memphis. It's now the most direct way I can go. Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about Atlanta?

Manchester, United...
6. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

Hi

We have flown into Atlanta 3 times. We do not connect to Memphis, we stay in Atlanta overnite and then drive to Memphis via Tupelo to see friends.

Be warned, Atlanta is the busiest airport in the world for passengers. On some days it makes Chicago look like a ghost town. The airport itself is not as big as Chicago in terms of size, Atlanta has two terminals, north & south. South terminal is for international flights only. So when you arrive you will be in the south terminal.

The first year we arrived in Atlanta, it took 2 hours just to get through immigration. Anyone connecting, would possibly have missed their flight. The last two years have been quite good, immigration takes about 45 mins to an hour depending on the day and time of day.

So you should be okay catching your flight. Like I said before, it can get very busy so be prepared. They seem to have streamlined everything now so all in all, it's not that bad.

Have you ever thought about picking up a car in Atlanta and driving north to Chattannooga etc.., we do that and take a day or so to get over to Memphis, the scenery in east/middle tennessee is beautiful and is worth a look.

Anyway, about Atlanta, my guess is you should be okay but be prepared in case it's busy, it really is daunting.

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
7. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

Thanks for letting me know, I have around 4-5 hours between arriving and connecting to Memphis so I should be fine, I did think it would be quite a wait but from what you have told me I should just about have time to get something to eat before I leave for Memphis

scotland
Destination Expert
for Memphis
8. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

I had thought about driving from Atlanta to Memphis, but the price wasn't much different when booking to get the connection to Memphis, but i liked the idear of the road trip.

Manchester, United...
9. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

Hi

Your welcome, next time consider the road trip.

It would be worth your while, that I can promise you.

Take care and have a safe journey.

10. Re: Airports: Flying from UK,changing at Chicago for Memphis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:25 am, August 15, 2009