We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Memphis

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Memphis
reviews: 34
Food in Memphis

I randomly just saw this on Trip Advisor and thought I would share with the rest of you.

They have a Top 10 list of destinations for food lovers. It says "If you crave a vacation of culinary delights, escape to one of our favorite 'foodie' destinations."

The list:

1. Paris

2. Rome

3. New York City

4. Florence

5. New Orleans

6. Cabo San Lucas

7. MEMPHIS

8. Miami Beach

9. Philadelphia

10. San Francisco

St. John
reviews: 7
1. Re: Food in Memphis

Have been to 6 out of 10 - all memories good of "culinary delights" in each one of them :-) Interesting list...

Memphis
2. Re: Food in Memphis

Yeah, I've been to the Top 5, obviously No. 7 and No. 9.

My personal ranking of the ones I've been to would be Florence (most amazing Italian food), New York City (loved China Town and delis), New Orleans (po boys and gumbo), Philly (my favorite travel food was a Philly cheesesteak until I traveled to Italy), Rome (amazing pizza), Memphis (it's home) and Paris (no comment).

Paris is last because when I went I was a college kid with absolutely no money and I had nothing but bread, meat and cheese to make sandwiches each day. I'm sure it would be much higher on the list if I went now.

I would add to my list Seattle for the amazing seafood, Boston for the seafood and Chicago for the pizza, dogs and sausages.

germantown
3. Re: Food in Memphis

The brand new issue of BON APPETIT magazine lists the five top culinary or "foodie" cities......in the US that is....MEMPHIS is no where to be found....neither are places like Nashville.....the closest "southern city" is NEW ORLEANS !!.....imagine that !!

I don't think "Trip Advisor" has any "standings" or reputation amongst knowledgeable people in re "food"..!

ENJOY!

Memphis
4. Re: Food in Memphis

Since Trip Advisor has no standing why don't you educate all the uneducated on here? Tell us why we should just have a Shekel forum instead of a trip advisor forum.

Alexandria, VA
reviews: 56
5. Re: Food in Memphis

Wow, looks like I'll be able to enjoy great food as well as the great music I hoped for when my lady and I visit Memphis and New Orleans! Seeing my hometown at #9 there was somewhat of a surprise... but then again one of Philly's best kept secrets is its assortment of highly-regarded eateries. I'm not sure how Cabo got there but as I've never been there, I can't give an opinion. San Francisco's my favorite city but I haven't indulged too much into the food scene as of yet.

Southeast Missouri
reviews: 36
6. Re: Food in Memphis

Shekelmeister,

Food is a personal experience, and it is condescending to imply that only the "educated" know what is a "culinary delight." The enjoyment of food can be related to a person's culture, ethnicity, community, family, and personal taste buds. For example, my grandparents came from the lower socioeconomic, rural, Delta background, and never had the opportunity to travel the world. They were some of the most wonderful people you'd ever meet. They are both gone now, but every Thanksgiving when we have my Grandmother's cornbread stuffing recipe, I experience a pleasure that no other "fine dining" can give me because the smells of the celery and onion being sauteed in butter remind me of her loving hugs. You would probably find the dish below your standards, but that's because you're missing the emotional connection to food and the importance of the sociocultural background in the dining experience. When I travel, I often look for foods that help me to experience the local culture, not necessarily what fine dining magazines rate as the highest.

You regularly insult your fellow Memphians for their love of local food and seem intolerant to anyone who disagrees with you. You are certainly entitled to your personal opinion, based upon your life experiences, but I believe more people would be wiling to respect your opinion, if you showed some respect in turn.

St. John
7. Re: Food in Memphis

"The doctor is in!!!" Well said, doc. I dearly loved my grandmother's cornbread dressing, too! :-)

New Orleans...
reviews: 61
8. Re: Food in Memphis

Love your kitty picture, StJohn! :)

germantown
9. Re: Food in Memphis

This past weekend I decided to try a new Asian restaurant named "Mosa, Asian Bistro".....located near the Kroger at Poplar and Kirby..well actually next to the liquor store behind First Tinny........the place was rebuilt...it used to be another god-awfl friggen BBQ joint, then another awful "Lousiana" food bad attempt....both of which folded thank god...

Surprisingly, I found out I knew the owner...Eddie, who also developed an Asian restaurant over on Quince several years ago......

Both Eddie and his lovely wife were surprised to see me...but they know I appreciate fresh, well-prepared, non-chain, imaginative food....Eddie insisted that I sit down and let him cook for me "something special".......Wow...what he came back with and put in front of me was truly special and tasty...a blend of fresh scallops, shrimp, and morsels of fresh fish in a spicy. curry-based sauce.....very very good and inspired !

Eddie said he had not been open very long....I wished him well and thanked him for his personal effort and fine food !....I attempted to pay him...he simply refused......he knows that I always appreciate creativity and true Asian recipes....he also knows that "word of mouth" is the best advertsing....

Very good food...not "spectacular".....I hope TripAdvisor readers try MOSA for themselves and share their owns opinions as well.......

Side note:.....went back to EQUESTRIA in Germantown.....the place wreaked of stinky, cooked fish.....their menu NOW does not use the word (or grade) of "PRIME" in ANY of their descriptions of their steak dishes........probably because it never was truly "Prime, number one grade" in the friggen first place........bs, bs food.

ENJOY!

germantown
10. Re: Food in Memphis

For the record:

The Shekelmeister's "opinions' are not targeted to "locals"...they are targeted to inquriing "travelers" to Memphis.......if by chance "fellow Memphians" are somehow "insulted" by my opinions, gee, that's too bad, we all have different tastes, expectations, experieinces, exposures, travel histories, residential histories, etc......(well, maybe not in Memphis...it's pretty homogenous to say the least).....

I'm not intersted in "pleasing" any reader...my interests are in sharing travel experiences and providing my opinion...I don't seek "permission" to do so, and I certainly don't seek "approval" for the exercise of reasonable, free speech!!

ENJOY !

Get answers to your questions about Memphis