We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

Which Memphis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, NY
reviews: 2
Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

I'll be making my way to Graceland this April and booked a hotel in West Mempis, AR. It was cheaper than staying in Memphis itself. I've been reading that Graceland is not in a great neighborhood. Can anyone give me any insight of how the West Memphis area is ? Safe??

Swansea, Uk
reviews: 9
1. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

We checked out most of the hotels in Memphis before booking.

Just got back from Memphis...stayed at the Embassy Suites in Germantown...if you have a car this has to be the best hotel for all the family....great rates too

Read my review and take a look at the pics on this site

Just search Embassy Suites Memphis

Hope this helps

Crystal Lake, IL
reviews: 25
2. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

I'm in Memphis a couple of times a year on business. I personally don't care for West Memphis....its an industrial area with lots of truck stops and fast food joints. Okay for road warriors who are looking for a place to sleep and not much else...but not really the best choice for tourists. If you're not staying downtown, try any of the localities east of the city instead. Non-rush hour, you're still less than a half hour from Graceland (as well as Beale Street/downtown). Also, the area south of Graceland... including just over the state line in Mississippi....is okay.

Hope this helps.

Brooklyn, NY
3. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

Thanks for the advice. I just chose the hotel in West Memphis because it was cheaper than staying in Memphis itself and was only about 15-20 min away from Graceland. I'm going on a road trip in 2 weeks and Graceland will be one of our stops. I just happened to notice in other posts that the Graceland area was not the best. Just wanted to know if it was the same for West Memphis. I'm a police officer here in NYC and pretty much use to crime so not too much bothers me.

Memphis
reviews: 34
4. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

Hopefully this is not too late. West Memphis is like a poster said truck stop central. I don't think crime would be an issue. Graceland is not in a rough area, it's just not a cheery tourist area. It will probably take you 15 minutes to drive to Graceland on I-55.

Any advice for Memphis just ask. I'm a former Graceland tour guide and I am a business writer for a Memphis newspaper.

Minnesota
5. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

How safe is the area around Horn Lake, MS? We are staying in a hotel there because I had heard Memphis wasn't that safe of a city depending on the area.

Memphis
6. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

Horn Lake is a suburb. Very safe there. It's probably no more than 10 minutes from Graceland up Highway 51, also known as Elvis Presley Blvd. when you cross into Tennessee.

Memphis is a safe city, if you know where to go. Most areas in Downtown are very safe. It is a growing residential community of upscale homes and condos. Per capita the downtown zip code has less crime than any other in memphis. but there are some areas right around downtown that can be rough.

Horn Lake might also be cheaper because of hotel taxes. Downtown hotels have higher taxes to help pay for the convention center and FedExForum.

Brooklyn, NY
7. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

Lawied13- Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on tours in Memphis? How about places to eat? Thanks again.

Memphis
8. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

Depends on what you want to eat.

Memphis is known for its barbecue. Period. Assuming you don't have a problem with meat you have to eat at least one barbecue meal.

The ones that get the most attention are:

1. Rendezvous. located in an alley across Union Avenue from Peabody Hotel, this is the place locals and tourists alike flock to. It has amazing atmosphere. waiters who have held the same job for 20, 30 years. the place is always packed. Good food, great dry ribs that have a good Greek rub spread on it. A rub is like a powder that many of the restaurants put on the ribs for flavor. If you only have time for one meal in memphis you go to the rendezvous. You can find better barbecue at a couple of other joints, but for atmosphere and everything combined, go to the rendezvous.

just remember that if you go after 6 p.m. on a weekend there will be a wait. I have gone with friends and waited up to three hours before. But just sit upstairs and enjoy a pitcher of beer and a sausage and cheese plate.

2. Corky's. This is a good one, but they have opened chains across the country that bring down its reputation. Good wet ribs and good sandwich. The original is located on Poplar Avenue in East Memphis.

3. Barbecue Shop. Between downtown and midtown on Madison avenue. voted best barbecue sandwich by Memphians. this is good stuff. closed on sundays I believe.

4. Central barbecue. a relatively new, but personal favorite by a lot of Memphians. Located on Central avenue near the old fairgrounds. Just good stuff.

5. Neely's. Original on Jefferson avenue just east of Danny Thomas Blvd. in downtown. try the barbecue spaghetti.

6. Jim Neely's Interstate Barbecue. On third street a bit south of downtown. a local institution. one of the best. He is the uncle of the Neely brothers who opened Neelys.

I could go on and on but those are best. There are arguments in Memphis whether wet or dry ribs. You have to decide. I like dry (which just has the spicy dry rub on it) while my wife likes wet (barbecue sauce poured on)

FOr a great burger and good atmosphere try Huey's. there is one downtown at Union and second. the original is on Madison in Midtown. there are several scattered throughout the city.

Midtown has good little bars and restaurants.

If you go to Graceland eat a peanut butter and bannana sandwich in the diner there. An Elvis favorite that cannot be missed.

Some other quick restaurant ideas:

Gus' Fried Chicken Front Street in downtown

Memphis Pizza Cafe Overton Square in Midtown. Of course for someone who eats pizza in New York this might be average at best. But it's the best we have to offer.

If you want a meat and two (southern cooking, homecooking, soul food) go to the cupboard on Union in the medical district area.

Beale street has some decent places to eat, but locals don't eat there. You have to go there though. It is a mini Bourbon street.

tour ideas:

I believe Grey lines has a service. If you have a car I would suggest going to Sun Studios (birthplace of rock and roll), the rock N soul museum inside FedExForum, the stax museum (60s and 70s legendary studio now a museum. Issac Hayes was one of may that got started there), Graceland, National Civil Rights Museum where Martin Luther King was murdered.

Let me know what else you need

Brooklyn, NY
9. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

Thanks again. The peanut butter and banana sandwich is TOP on my list when I go to Graceland. I keep telling my girlfriend I want to try it. Thanks for the pizza suggestion. I'm a pizza fanatic and try pizza no matter where I go. She refuses to eat pizza out of NY. As for the tours- is there a Duck Tours in Memphis, I think I saw it somewhere. Thanks so much for your help. How far is Nashville from Memphis?

Memphis
10. Re: Hotel Stay in West Memphis AR- SAFE AREA?

there is a ducks tour. It actually just started a week or two ago. It is located at AutoZone Park, at the corner of Union and Third.

Nashville is a three hour drive from downtown memphis without any traffic. Traffic between the two is usually not a problem. Nashville can have bad traffic delays, especially at evening rush hour. Memphis rush hour leaving downtown isn't too bad. I do it daily.