We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Distance and ways to travel: edinburgh to Port Ellen

Bengaluru...
reviews: 83
Distance and ways to travel: edinburgh to Port Ellen

My husband and I are planning a trip to Port Ellen from Edinburgh mid-September, and were wondering about the best way of getting there... I know there's an airport nearby, also a railway station, but were rather thinking of driving... would appreciate some advice.

Glasgow
reviews: 2
1. Re: Distance and ways to travel: edinburgh to Port Ellen

http://www.calmac.co.uk/

Calmac runs the ferry from Kennacraig to Port Ellen and Port Askaig on Islay.

There is an airport on Islay with flights from Glasgow but no rail service anywhere nearby.

Kennacraig is near Tarbert in Argyll and it is an attractive drive there via Loch Lomond and Inveraray.

Edinburgh
reviews: 11
2. Re: Distance and ways to travel: edinburgh to Port Ellen

I agree. We come over from Edinburgh a few times a year. Always take the car, it means you have all of your belongings i.e. outdoor gear, food if you are self catering etc + you are free to explore the whole island. You can fly from Glasgow, but you are then restricted.

We drive from Edinburgh (allow 3h 40 minutes) as the roads are very twisty, turny. Make sure and book the ferry before hand and turn-up 45 minutes before...

You'll hop off the ferry and be at Port Ellen in 2 minutes!

Edited: 1:51 pm, February 13, 2010
3. Re: Distance and ways to travel: edinburgh to Port Ellen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, August 13, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Port Ellen