We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Which Knock hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amiens
Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

i am more than happy to pay for the development of all airports I use, and that cost is one of the items very correctly included in airport taxes/fees. But Knock airport has come up with a sneaky semantic trick: they impose a supplementary "development tax", thatbthey spring at the last minute on the poor unsuspecting passangers that have the misfortune to be trapped there. It's a dirty trick so they can appear to be cheaper then they really are when people are purchasing their tickets and choosing their airports!

It is also wrong for them to try to blame the lack of transparency on the airlines: if they were even trying to be honest about it, they would have posted a clear warning on their website, which they have not done.

ALL airport charges and fees should be included in the boarding fee, and any departure from this classic structure should CLEARLY DIVULGED to passengers.

I will never fly this airport again.

83 replies to this topic
Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 33
21. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Fairly sure you will be ok with car parking, they have an area between the car parks and Runway side that is gravelled for overflow. The €10 fee is only for over 12yr olds..

soaked in ireland
reviews: 5
22. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Ive contacted the airport and the lady said theres always parking space, but ive looked at a murphys hotel who let you park for a more reasonable rate, they provide a shuttle bus to the airport, it all sounds ok, yes the 3 younger children wont have to pay but the other 7 of us will have the 10 euro tax, i do think it would be annoying if you arrived and knew nothing of it, equally i think you would get rid of quite a few euros at the big airport in Dublin with the many more temptations.

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 33
23. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Knock Airport is a Lot cheaper than Dublin when it comes to the incidentals, food, drinks and other temptations..

I do agree that the charge should be flagged not only by the airport themselves but by the airlines operating flights from there. Signage for the Charge should definately be prominently Displayed Before security..

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Salou
reviews: 37
24. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Don't knock Knock!!! This airport is a fantastic resource to people in the west. I've never struggled for parking, there's always plenty available within a short walking distance of the terminal. It's hassle free compared to larger airports, has some great reasonably priced routes. We are usually exiting the car park 15 minutes after the plane lands. Going through customs is a breeze, as is keeping an eye on small kids as there aren't crowds of people. The facilities are clean and staff friendly.

It's a small airport but as a regular user I can see the developments that have happened over the years and it's great. When we fly from Dublin airport it costs €80 in petrol to travel to Dublin, add in the cost of an extra meal on return trip out for 5 people and I still end up saving money even with the €10 charge.

As far as I can remember we've always received an email informing us of the fee, there used to be a notice outside the terminal too, is this no longer the case?

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
reviews: 60
25. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Can only speak for myself, but the first I knew of the stealth tax was when I approached the corridor leading to the security checks.

Seville, Spain
reviews: 43
26. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

It's not a rip off except in two respects.

1. Ryanair don't inform you of it, even through Knock Airport claim to ask all their flight companies to divulge it to all passengers, which they don't

2. Knock Airport keep it hidden until after you've checked in.

Both of which just show the boards of each company to be the slime they are.

Ireland's lovely and the people are wonderful, but it's STUPIDLY expensive. This was the last straw for me. I won't be back.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 92
27. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

It felt like being mugged. Ten Euros just to leave Ireland? The only other airport I've seen that used this practice is at Nepal, a third world country where the money went straight into a drawer, no receipt. The Nepalese government has since banned it.

I had no idea they were going to demand money at Knock. There is no mention of it in Ryanair's documents (I've double checked). It was particularly embarrassing as I had to borrow the money off someone I barely knew.

A charge like this makes me especially angry as they know we are on the back foot. Most air passengers are in submissive mode, daring not to argue with po-faced officials who have the power to make you undress. So you cough up without demur, fearing that you'll be marched off by security heavies if you create a scene. (That is no criticism of the Knock staff, probably the most pleasant I have encountered at any airport).

In short, this is legalised highway robbery. Car park charges are bad enough but at least you get a parking space in return. This "improvement fee" is a sneaky tax imposed on people who have already paid indirectly to use the airport. It's little different from being forced to hand over a tenner to get off a train and not allowed to leave until you do. It is a disgrace and should be abolished in short order.

Galway, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
reviews: 60
28. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Couldn't agree more Paul. It leaves a very sour taste especially for visitors to out "fair" isle.

Cambridge, United...
reviews: 92
29. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Dokgolf, it's interesting that an Irishman (I presume!) like yourself should also object to the charge. The airport is much smarter than when I last used it about eight years ago, and I don't mind contributing to those improvements. It's the process that is troubling. You wonder why they don't insist, as a condition of using the airport, that Ryanair and others include the charge at the time of booking.

Dublin
30. Re: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport

Some years back, Kerry airport used to demand €6 from departing passengers. It's now included in the total fare when booking your flight, so not sure either why Knock are so reluctant to use this method too.

Edited: 8:48 am, May 19, 2014
Reply to: Beware of ripoff charges at Knock airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted