We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

New York City, New...
reviews: 9
Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

I'm working on a second draft of our itinerary for our upcoming Ireland trip and am trying to free up a day. Assuming we will be in Lisdoonvarna, is it realistic to do both Cliffs of Moher & Aran Islands in one day then head to Galway? I found a boat tour that departs Doolin, gives you 4 hours on Inis Oirr, and travels under the cliffs. Then we would take an hour or two to see the cliffs from the top before heading up to Galway. I thought this might be a better option that setting aside one day for the cliffs and a separate day for the islands. Welcome your thoughts. Thanks!

Fanore, County Clare
1. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

This is a good option for you and the cruise under the Cliffs is spectacular...much better perspective of the height than from the top.Great for spotting birds and you get a real feel of the power of the Atlantic and the erosion it causes.Lisdoonvarna is only twenty minutes from Doolin and the only time it is extremely crowded is in September for the Matchmaking festival.

New York City, New...
2. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

Thank you GillMAC. We are actually planning on attending the festival on Saturday as it came highly recommended :) Figured since we were so close we would take advantage of the Cliffs, and once I came across the combo ferry trip I thought it may be a good option. I assume since it will be busy in that area we should probably book ahead of time.

Galway,Ireland
Destination Expert
for Galway
reviews: 138
3. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

Yes booking in advance would be advisable.

Fanore, County Clare
4. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

I would say booking is essential for the Saturday night...many people book the same accommodation a year ahead of time...be prepared for a lot of people drinking and having a good time!!

New York City, New...
5. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

Sounds right up our alley :) Will be looking to book accommodations today.

Roaring Spring...
reviews: 5
6. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

We are going to Ireland in late Aug. Could you give me the name of the cruise from

Doolin? Thanks, we are in our 70's and this would be a great day for us.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
reviews: 94
7. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

Here is the link to the Cliffs of Moher Cruise

doolin2aranferries.com/cliffs-of-moher.html

Loughrea, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden
reviews: 30
8. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

See http://www.obrienline.com/ & www.shortbreaksireland.ie/25DiscountCard/

Statesboro, Georgia
reviews: 279
9. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

okay if it doesn't rain. unfortunately, odds on this are against you...

Syracuse, New York
10. Re: Cliffs of Moher & Aran islands in one day?

We just did this from Doolin 2 days ago as the weather conspired against our trip from Galway plans. It was a very memorable experience but be forewarned...it was quite a rough crossing. At least a dozen people got sick. It took me a good half hour on each side to get my equilibrium back. No idea if this is normal or just a particularly rough day. Take Dramamine or the like with you as we could find none on the island for the return trip. That being said, we were very glad we did it nonetheless. We didn't have advanced reservations and made it on the 10:00 sailing. Afterwards did the Doolin pitch and putt while some shopped. It's a little par 3 kind of course right on the ocean. Perfect for the kids who were sick of sightseeing. Then did the cliffs from the top-spectacular even in clouds. Were planning on coming home via scenic coast but everyone tired so came home inland which was serendipitous as ended up eating at the Rathbaun Hotel in Lisdoonvarna where the staff couldn't have been more pleasant or accommodating and there was live music by group called Ceolan which was wonderful. I can't imagine traveling on to Galway as we were beat but perhaps without the golf and shopping we would have made it.