We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Which Kingsport hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
reviews: 1
Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Doesn't look like Kingsport forum gets much activity, but here goes....We want to go to the Carter Family Fold and it looks like Kingsport is the closest city for lodging. Any recommendations for places to stay? We're open to any suggestions - hotels, motels, inns, etc...Any comment on the Carter Family Fold? Thanks in advance.

connecticut
1. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Hi, we just got back from Kingsport two weeks ago and stayed at the Comfort Inn in Colonial Heights. Simple hotel with very friendly staff. There is also a Holiday Inn up the street. Kingsport has quite a few hotels, but I wanted to let you know that my family and I were happy with this one. And it is in a nice, central location. Right off the exit as well. Just a thought!!

NC
2. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Thanks for the reply!

connecticut
3. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

You're welcome. Wish I could help a bit more. There are a lot of places to stay. Try hotels.com or something of that nature. Maybe that will help. Best wishes!

NC
4. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

We stayed at Holiday Inn Express - excellent. Also- Carter Family Fold - wonderful time!

Kingsport
reviews: 5
5. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Here's hoping your trip to the Carter Fold and Kingsport will be a rewarding one! It's been a while since I did any comparison shopping on hotel rates, but when I did, I found that the Jameson Inn had less expensive prices and nicer accomodations than some of the other chain places. Also, the Jameson Inn is located at a place that's a little more removed from the road and therefore a lttle quieter than the Comfort Inn in Colonial Heights. Granted, the Comfort Inn has a pretty good selection of fast food joints to choose from, and also a Perkins directly across the parking lot. In fact, I believe Comfort Inn guests get a discount on the food at Perkins. Near the Jameson Inn, you'll find a locally owned Mexican restaraunt, a Wendy's, a Pizza Hut, and a Hardee's. Of course, as far as accomodations go, there's always Bed and Breakfast places, and we have a few of those in Kingsport.

When you go to Carter Fold, you need to allow time to go through the museum that's next door to the performance arena. It's the old store buliding/ house that A.P. Carter had, and it's been made into a museum of Carter family artifacts. The show starts at 7:30, but I think the museum opens at 6:00.

I'd be glad to give you more information about the area if you contact me. I've lived in Kingsport my whole 41 years.

Hope this helps. I'd love to show you about town. There are a lot of historic places to visit too, though many of them are closed in the winter. However, one place you might want to see is Exchange Place, a living history farm in Kingsport. They are closed for winter, except that they'll be having a "Christmas in the country" doings on the first weekend of December. On the second weekend of December, another historic attraction, The Netherland Inn, is having its 1818 Christmas Party. That's a real nice function to go to.

Anyway, like I said, I'd be glad to hear from you and help in any way I can. I'm proud of my hometown and want others to share in its charm.

Kindest regards,

Mark Selby.

NC
6. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Thanks Mark. We did have a great time in Kingsport and the Carter Family Fold. I think we're going back Dec. 17 for the Christmas event there. We had a great stay in Kingsport and we enjoyed shopping in your mall.

Living in the Charlotte area, we have lots of fantastic malls, but your little mall had a great variety of stores and it was a pleasure just walking around. Even your young people up there had a more wholesome appearance than what you see at malls in our area! LOL. The people were friendly and we just got a great feel in the town. We even joked on the way home that the Kingsport area seemed to fit our lifestyle more than this hustle and bustle down here and maybe we should put our house on the market and head up there - maybe it wasn't a joke. Who knows.....anybody want to buy a house in the Charlotte suburbs? LOL. Thanks for the input.

Kingsport
7. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Glad you enjoyed Kingsport and the Carter Fold. Thanks for the kind words about Kingsport.

If I'm not being too nosy, where did you wind up staying?

If you do decide to come back on Dec. 17th, and if you'd want to, I'd be honored to make your aquaintance. Just let me know.

Talk to you later.

Keep on the sunny side.

Mark.

8. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Happy Thanksgiving,

I just discovered this great website. After living in California for many years, we have relocated to East Tennessee and have found some wonderful bed and breakfasts, even in Kingsport. Our favorite is Fox Manor Bed and Breakfast, (www.foxmanor.com)

You won't believe you're in this time and place after staying at this special place.

Y'all come back.

Maine
9. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

Hello,

A few of you have mentioned bed & breakfasts in Kingsport, or the surrounding area. I am coming back to Tenn & VA in June and am looking for a place to stay. I have always stayed with my grandparents but their house if being sold. Not wanting to impose my family on cousins, I'm looking for a nice place that's not too expensive but where my kids can get a feel for the Virginia I grew up visiting. My family is from Fort Blackmore, Va and were tobacco farmers. Anyone have any ideas?

NC
10. Re: Kingsport Lodging/Carter Family Fold

riskymom - try www.cabins.com. You can look by state...and they have some old farm houses for rent. Also, try www.vrbo.com.