We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterfalls

Which Cookeville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis, MO
reviews: 2
Waterfalls

I am planning a family vacation for July 12. From Nashville I would like to hit one of the more spectacular waterfalls in Tennessee before reaching our destination of Cleveland. I have been looking at Burgess, Cummins, Fall Creek, and Rock Island. Since my husband, 21 yr old, and 16 yr old are not quite as passionate about waterfalls as me, I am looking for the most spectacular, even in July, but also those that involve the least driving/hiking. I think Cummins Falls look gorgeous, but I keep seeing the quote from Travel & Leisure mag. about getting to it. I was wanting to hear from others just how bad it would be to get to for reasonably in shape 50 year olds. Or or others better? Thanks for your input!

5 replies to this topic
Boston...
reviews: 48
1. Re: Waterfalls

The most spectacular? My favorite waterfall I've been to is Virgin Falls, about an hour away from Cookeville (and unless you visit Sparta you'll never find yourself closer). The problem is that it's an eight mile hike (roundtrip). The plus is that there's a lot to see on the way, including Big Laurel Falls which is worth a trip in itself. It falls over a overhang in the side of the valley, then swing around to the back of the cave and disappears into a hole. Virgin Falls pours out of one cave and falls 150 feet into another. My friends followed the creek back in the cave for an hour and it just kept on going. It's a cool enough hike, you could get the younger ones on board, maybe. It's def my most favorite single hike in Tennessee, better any any single hike in the Smokies. It's surreal, almost.

St. Louis, MO
2. Re: Waterfalls

Wow, sounds amazing, Bluecuzco. Unfortunately, though, an 8 mile hike is way longer than we intend to stop. We are looking for a place to spend an hour or two as we pass through with another destination in mind. Have you been to Cummins Falls? It looks so gorgeous. I am just wondering how much you can see without using a rope to get to the swimming hole, or if you do climb down, how hard is it to get down and then back up. Thanks so much for your response.

Tennessee
reviews: 9
3. Re: Waterfalls

From the parking lot at Cummins Falls to the overlook it is only about .4 of a mile. It is a much harder hike to the actual swimming hole but if you just want to see it and take some pics the overlook is nice. Cummins Falls is probably the least amount of distance out of your way too. It will take you about 15 minutes from I-40. The falls are gorgeous!

St. Louis, MO
4. Re: Waterfalls

Thanks. Love your screen name. Me too! So have you done the climb down? I've heard a little about the climb down, but not much about getting back up. I'd love to take a dip if it's not too difficult. Thanks!

Tennessee
reviews: 9
5. Re: Waterfalls

The climb down is difficult and many people have died trying to get up or down! My son had a friend who slipped going back up and was killed. I would stick to the overlook. If you want to take a dip you can drive farther past the entrance and you will come to the river and there are plenty of places to cool off along the road.

Reply to: Waterfalls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cookeville
Recent Conversations