We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

Which Cookeville hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 57
Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

What is it like and what does it have to offer?

I might be interested in golf, antiquing, shops, and great restaurants.

Anything available there? I will be coming from Knoxville and stopping in Fairfield Glade.

Thanks, in advance.

9 replies to this topic
Key Largo
reviews: 17
1. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

Cookeville is a nice small town. Lots of restaurants... nice shopping, It is about 30 miles west of Fairfield Glade.

2. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

Thank you. Hoped for more details, but appreciate the reply.

Best to you.

East Tennessee
reviews: 159
3. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

The self claimed nickname for Cookeville is the "Hub of the Cumberlands" which means it is the trade center of the Upper Cumberland Mountains. Crossville may take issue with that claim nowadays.

Cookeville is a college town. Tennessee Technological University is in Cookeville and the town is centered around the University. Excellent University and very nice campus on the north end of Cookeville.

Basically, Cookeville proper is a mile or two north of the interstate. Over the course of time, the area between the interstate and Cookeville has developed commercially with chain dining and shopping. Downtown Cookeville has the shops that you are looking for. Check out the downtown depo.

DIning is good but great restaurants is a relative criteria. I enjoy several of the local spots and a few chain dining venues.

Golfing is available but if you are staying in Crossville at Fairfield Glade, then you are in the self proclaimed Golfing Capitol of Tennessee. That is where you should play golf.

Cookeville is about 28 miles west of Crossville on I40 and you will not be passing Cookeville driving from Knoxville.

In summary, Cookeville is a great college town, ample dining, shopping and outdoor activities with a great University to visit and partake of activities that are offered on campus.

Hope this helps and make sure that you do not miss Ralph's Donut Shop on South Cedar Street about a block off of the downtown center.

4. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

Hi, Cheapseater,

I appreciate the extensive response, and do expect there are chains moving into the area, but quaint downtowns are what I like. As I have had 4 trips to TN so far, I love the areas I have seen, and hope that there is good in Cookeville as you describe. I will go based on your reply.

Fairfield Glade is a destination, too, especially for golf, I agree.

Found a Mexican restaurant that opened near the Screen Door in Crossville! Hope it's good! Off the courthouse is a good place for lunch that makes a great rare steak with pommes frittes...just in case you go back. Maybe you are from the area.

Thanks so much.

Edited: 12:40 am, March 16, 2012
Tennessee
reviews: 15
5. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

Cookeville has great west side historic district with lots of unique shops and local eateries (not chains) and a great farmers market. If you love Mexican then you should try El Tapatia here it is the best in the area. On the courthouse square you will find a couple of other nice places to eat, Char and Maddux Station. Local golf courses are Southern Hills, Ironwood, Country Club, and Bell Acres. The old train depot offers a brown bag concert series in the spring on Fridays and there is another Sundays in the park concert series that runs through the summer. Cane Creek and Dogwood parks are local favorites. If you need more info feel free to pm. Kelly

East Tennessee
reviews: 159
6. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

Based upon your post, then you may wish to consider taking Hwy 70 N from Crossville to Cookeville. It travels pretty much alongside the interstate but it will pass shops and stores that may interest you. Plus if followed it will take you directly into the Courthouse square in Cookeville.

The main street for your interests is Broad Street once you arrive at the courthouse square. From the courthouse to the Depo is the Broad Street is the primary street for you to operate off of. Try all the intersecting streets to find various shops and things of your interests.

Taking most of the streets heading north will lead you to Tennessee Tech University. The main overly developed commercial streets to the south to the interstate are Jefferson and Willow.

You could then take the interstate to return to Crossville.

Cookeville...
7. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

See trip wow slides. Cookeville TN home town proud

Cookeville...
8. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

See trip wow slides. Cookeville TN home town proud

9. Re: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?

Thanks to all who outlined Cookeville, TN.

Based on the reviews we did head to the Depot Area/Broad Street and have been back several times.

Crawdaddy's is very good and we loved the outdoor area, the shrimp bisque, and the poboys. Quite good, very satisfying and can't wait to go back for the fifth trip to the art gallery and a couple of the antique and art shoppes. It's a great 1/2 day trip and can be extended to a full day. The area is quaint in certain areas and has the over-developed strip mall atmosphere in the south of the strip malls and chain retail stores and restaurants, but it is not unpleasant. On the next stop, we will go to the University, Tenn. Tech. It is a recommended spot for safe living and a growing area.

Thanks again!

May 2014

BluedogAussie

Reply to: Has anyone been to Cookville, TN?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Cookeville
Recent Conversations
More Cookeville Topics