We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do in Southern Tennessee

Which Columbia hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Terre Haute, IN
What to do in Southern Tennessee

I would like to meet my son half-way between Terre Haute, Indiana and Pensacola, Florida which would be about an hour south of Nashville. Does anyone know a fun place to spend the weekend - outdoors would be nice (like a cabin), but a resort with an indoor pool would work too.

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
reviews: 48
11. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

Well, all that would have been great to know beforehand. :) Good luck on in your search for a good spot in south-central Tennessee. (no sarcasm)

"We like to travel and use a central location as a hub on a wheel to venture an hour or so in any direction." That explains it; my family's travel style is to travel to a location and see things there or within a thirty minute radius. We'll occasionally do longer day trips, but not usually. So, as I thought, it is a matter of preference.

"Whoa, I didn't mean to set off an 'international incident' between Tenn & AL! Both are fine states."

"International", lol. Alabama isn't -that- weird! Sorry, can't resist an AL joke. :)

Terre Haute, IN
12. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

Will look you up next year when we decide to do Smoky Mountains! Thanks again!

Tennessee
reviews: 31
13. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

Costa........Sorry to bust your bubble but I LIVE IN MOORE COUNTY.......so I know ITS DRY! Moved to the area in mid 80's after living 20+ plus years in central/southern Illinois. (once lived near Terre Haute Ind. too...just over the state line)

P.S.

Terre Haute is a great town, are they done with the road work there? Just wondering, will be heading up that way to visit relatives and trying to decide which route we want to drive this time.

Birmingham, AL
reviews: 21
14. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

Travel Girl,

Ugh...sorry about all that...(eyeroll). I am not even getting into that.

ANYWAY, I just wanted to add something that has not been suggested.

If you look at www.bbonline.com or another B&B guide website, there is a place called Lairdland Farm that has rustic cabins in a nice country setting.

It is very close to I-65, south of Columbia, North of Huntsville. It is also near Lawrenceburg, a cute little town with shops, town square, etc., David Crockett State Park, and Ethridge, an Amish community to drive, visit and shop for Amish made goods at their actual homes. Also not far from some horse farms, etc. The hills in this area are very scenic...nice relaxing drives.

have a good trip,

Miller

Tennessee
15. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

Heres one more for the bucket.....George Dickel distillery,Normandy TN. www.dickel.com

FROM LYNCHBURG

Highway 55 to Tullahoma, TN. Turn left on 41A North. Turn right onto Hunters Lane between the Hampton Inn and Ruby Tuesday Restaurant. Turn left at end onto Normandy Road (Hwy. 269) and go approximately 7 miles to Normandy. At stop sign turn right across railroad tracks. Turn right again on Cascade Hollow Road. Distillery is 1.5 miles. Driving Time: 20 minutes. Guided tour is free.

Tennessee
16. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

coastermeister; I googled this to make sure I've not been asleep for a few years or to make sure I did not miss something.

Moore County is the location of the Jack Daniel's distillery, whose famous Tennessee whiskey is marketed world-wide. Despite the operational distillery, the county is a dry county. This status dates from the time of prohibition and can only be repealed if at least 1,000 resident voters sign an appropriate petition.

True, limited edition bottles are sold at the distillery. Other than that the county is dry. Moore County is a very small county, (smallest in TN.) The surrounding counties (Lincoln, Bedford, Franklin, Coffee) are not dry counties and you can buy alcohol there.

Travelgirl048; Franklin TN is a great pick. Might want to put that in a Franklin forum "things to do in area" and see if any one/locals can help you with other things to do in that area. I know theres a lot of restaurants and shopping (not a mans "thing".....LOL) in that area. HTH!

Terre Haute, IN
17. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

Will do, thanks so much........need to find a few more days to hang in TN!

Terre Haute, IN
18. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

Haven't gone south in a few years, but I think I'll take 41 S. to Evansville, then Hopkinsville, then onto Nashville. Or possibly over to Cincy....but I doubt that.

You'll be amazed at T.H. - 2 brand new hotels downtown and a major downtown renovation - lots of new shopping in the 41 south area and plenty of restaurants.

Athens, Alabama
reviews: 288
19. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

You might want to make reservations for lunch at Miss Mary Bobo's while you're in Lynchburg. The food is usually pretty good but the atmosphere and company at the table are excellent. They did a long overdo remodle an expansion just over a year ago.

I was pretty sure that just a few years ago (when it was still in business) you could buy beer at the little store on the corner of Main St and Hwy 50. Maybe I was wrong. Technically Lynchburg being a "dry" county is no longer valid since the Distillery sells hard liquor now.

Tennessee
20. Re: What to do in Southern Tennessee

We have not been to Terre Haute in a few years. Will have to check that out when we come up. My sister does a lot of shopping over there. She said they were putting in new stores and such.

Your driving directions look good. (thats the way I would go too) Have fun!

Get answers to your questions about Columbia