We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

river cruise

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wildwood, Florida
reviews: 6
river cruise

I will be chattanooga for one day and was thinking of one of the river criuises. Is there one that is better than the others? Going in third week of October so hoping for some beautiful leaf color

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 83
1. Re: river cruise

There are several to choose from. Depends on what you are thinking about.

The Southern Belle will have cruises that include lunch or dinner.

The Tennessee Aquarium has the Gorge Explorer, then the Chattanooga Ducks offer a "discover" type trip.

There are several events for color season.

I suggest you look at:

www.chattanoogafun.com

Www.chattanooganow.com

Boston...
reviews: 48
2. Re: river cruise

I recommend cruising to the Tennessee River Gorge. It's the best way to see it, along with the hike from Signal Point to Edwards Point on Signal Mountain. For a faster, less expensive trip, go with the aquarium's River Gorge Explorer. For a longer, more personal trip, take Blue Moon.

http://www.bluemooncruises.org/eco_cruise.htm

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
reviews: 67
3. Re: river cruise

Just remember that third week of October is prime foliage viewing time, and those river cruises may book up ahead of time and be sold out by "day of sailiing" per se. You may want to decide and buy your tickets ahead of time on the websites if you can.

Wildwood, Florida
reviews: 6
4. Re: river cruise

thanks for the help! I appreciate the feedback. I was planning to make a reservation asap but was triying to decide between the the River "Gorge Explorer or the Southern Belle.

Chickamauga, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Orlando, Walt Disney World
reviews: 67
5. Re: river cruise

I think you will see much more "scenery" from the River Gorge Expolorer as it goes much further down river than does the Southern Belle, if that's what you are wanting. They don't feed you with food, but they do feed you with a much longer time in the scenic sections of the TN river.

East Tennessee
reviews: 156
6. Re: river cruise

The new Mayor of the city of Chattanooga has officially terminated the lease rights of the Southern Belle to dock at the riverside for reasons due to cleaning up the view of the river. Hmmmmm.

Southern Belle has about 30 days to vacate so plan accordingly. It will be missed as it was a nice ride on the river on an ole riverboat.

Edited: 5:53 pm, September 16, 2013
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
reviews: 29
7. Re: river cruise

No, the Delta Queen, the paddleboat hotel on the other side of the river has 30 days to vacate- the one at coolidge park- it cannot carry passengers and must stay stationary and the city has deemed it an eyesore-the Southern Belle is alive & cruising

Chattanooga...
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Smoky Mountains
reviews: 83
8. Re: river cruise

Good news! Thank you for the update.

East Tennessee
reviews: 156
9. Re: river cruise

I cruise corrected!

I have never noticed two riverboats during my visits to Chattanooga. So one is evicted and the other remains. Good news.

Now if you all could do something about the parking meter keepers...too much money making going on with too many overzealous meter maids!

Edited: 11:48 pm, September 16, 2013
Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga
reviews: 29
10. Re: river cruise

Believe me, we are plenty loud about the pesky parking lots and meters!! I am constantly helping people use them on the northshore- here you put the ticket on your dash, here you don't! At least the parking is relatively cheap and it does cost money to keep our beautiful riverfront clean and safe. I hate to see the Delta Queen go, there are several cities in talks with the owners - Cincinnati, Louisville- she was really something back in the day and I hope she finds a good home. I believe if they were to try to get rid of the Southern Belle, they would have a riot on their hands!!