We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SUGGESTION short drive from Chattanooga with GREAT HIKING

Which Chattanooga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chattanooga...
reviews: 61
SUGGESTION short drive from Chattanooga with GREAT HIKING

For anyone coming to the area who loves hiking OR for anyone who lives here that hasnt seen this wonderful place I suggest the short drive to Chatsworth! There is a great state park there called Fort Mountain State park. Its incredible and they have over 70 miles of trails, more than any other georgia park. The place is remarkable. I suggest at least the fort wall / tower loop. We saw about 30 hawks, two heard of deer, chipmunks, tons of birds and a bear! Thats not counting the beuty of the place alone.

THIS IS A MUST!

I am surprised noone talks about it here as a suggestion for eco tourists.

ngeorgia.com/ang/Fort_Mountain_State_Park

Boston...
reviews: 48
1. Re: SUGGESTION short drive from Chattanooga with GREAT HIKING

Probably because its more than an hour away. It's a great park, though, the several times I've been. Besides the wildlife there are fantastic views, Indian history (the dilapidated rock wall), and a lake with canoe and paddleboat rentals. And camping. A day could definitely be made of it. There's another gorgeous overlook just down the road, but I forget its name. It's well marked. More than 180 degree views of the massive northward mountains. Top notch.

Chattanooga...
reviews: 61
2. Re: SUGGESTION short drive from Chattanooga with GREAT HIKING

It is an hours drive but still considered local. It is still in the chattanooga broadcasting vicinity. Just passed dalton a bit.

The headquarters was great too, good gift shop and lots of info about the park.

Boston...
reviews: 48
3. Re: SUGGESTION short drive from Chattanooga with GREAT HIKING

Yeah, I guess it's an alright drive. People in Gatlinburg take longer trips all the time. It's a fairly scenic drive, too, especially towards the end. Plus, the Chief Vann House is right en route. Other hour-out spots include Little River Canyon, Fiery Gizzard gorge (that's on my to-do list), and of course the Ocoee.

4. Re: SUGGESTION short drive from Chattanooga with GREAT HIKING

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, October 30, 2010