We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip 2014 and sturgis festival

Which Sturgis hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint-Justin, France
reviews: 31
trip 2014 and sturgis festival

Hi,

I plan a trip for 4 adults in august 2014 and I need help, informations....

We have plan to arrive in Rapid City, to do Badlands, Mount Rushmore, Crazy horse memorial, Deadwood, Sturgis ; total 3days

What about Sturgis (except prohibitif hotels prices...!) ; no possibility to camp, so...

Is there a pass to buy ? or is it free ? What about concert ? Is there many different places to come to see live concert ? Is this very difficult to drive arount Sturgis with all motos ?

Then we go to Yellowstone and stay 3 full days in the park ; What can we do in 3 days ?

Then Jackson and Grand Teton 2 days.

Then road till Moab (arches, canyonlands, dead horse point) 3 days

Then Capitol Reef, Bryce, Zion and Vegas.

All trip will be 3 weeks. Is this ok ? Not too much kilometers ? we have planned 3500km...

Thanks for help

28 replies to this topic
Saint-Justin, France
21. Re: trip 2014 and sturgis festival

ok thanks !

22. Re: trip 2014 and sturgis festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:34 am, January 29, 2014

Saint-Justin, France
23. Re: trip 2014 and sturgis festival

Hi BB,

we didn't plan to do this part a lot, only mount rushmore, crazy horse memorial, sylvan lake, and then deadwood and spearfish for 2 nights ;

we should do something more ?

thanks

Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
24. Re: trip 2014 and sturgis festival

Patricia,

If you are coming into Sylvan Lake from the north, you will already drive the most interesting part of the Needles Hwy. The southern end is not considered as scenic as the beginning by many, so that is something to consider. I know your time is limited, so I don't know if you will get to drive Iron Mt. Rd. It's prefereable to drive this road from south to north to get the best views of Mt Rushmore.

Naturally, we will encourage tourists to see all they can, but when you have a short window of time, it can be difficult. This is your trip, and you have a lot planned. Do what you can so you can enjoy yourselves. You are wise to pick and choose what's important to you. I'm honestly not familiar with a tour that offers seeing Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Sylvan Lake and many of the scenic drives in Custer SP in a day, not saying one does not exist. I am not as familiar with tours, as we prefer to do things on our own schedule when touring this area.

Everyone is different; only you know if a tour would be right for you. I know of a person who took a bus tour of the Black Hills area and loved it. I, however, am of the opinion this area can be easily seen without one.

25. Re: trip 2014 and sturgis festival

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Rapid City, SD
reviews: 16
26. Re: trip 2014 and sturgis festival

Patricia - sounds like you've received some great advice already. I'm Considering a trip to Europe soon so I can understand how overwhelming it can be to try and get in all the wonderful sights and experiences of a large area. You may not travel this way again and want to "do it all". Sounds like your timeframe will only really allow a tour of the highlights in each area. You can do our region, hitting the high lights, in 3 days. Busy days! If you add in the Sturgis Rally this will be harder to do because of the crowds, but the experience of the Rally & concerts may be a story you re-tell for the rest of your life. Lots of motorcycles, rowdy parties, lots of leather, lots of flesh that should probably be covered up, and lots of facial hair. ;) the median age of the typical rally goer is probably over 50.

I don't think I would take a guided tour in the Black Hills. It is easy to find and get around and you can meet your own schedule. If something isn't very interesting to you then just move on. With a group tour you may be stuck at one point longer than you would like if it isn't interesting to you & wasting precious time.

I have done Rapid City through Big Horns to Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in around 4 days. We just hit the major attractions and highlights. It was a busy trip. Custer State Park is very similar to Yellowstone, you could skip this portion if you want to spend time in Sturgis instead.

I do not know about your other destinations except Vegas. You will want at the least 2-3 days in that area. So 3 weeks will be okay, just plan on highlights and if you really love the area then find a way to come back and do more exploring. Hope your holiday is awesome!

27. Re: trip 2014 and sturgis festival

Saint-Justin, France
28. Re: trip 2014 and sturgis festival

Hi ALB101,

and thanks for your good advice !!

about Badlands, we will do it on our own effectively ; I have study the map on internet, check on tripadvisor activities what to do, and I think we are prepared !!!

about Custer Park, effectively, it looked like some other parks we will do, so we choose not to do it ;

after our 3 full days in Black Hills, we are going to Cody, then 3 days in Yellowstone, then 2 days in Grand Teton, then we just take the decision to go directely till Moab (without stopping in Salt Lake City), cause I found forum where they told it's not too difficult ; then 3 days in Arches, Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point ; then Bryce, Zion, and Vegas ;

the only thing which is not cool is the 500$ drop off....

I rent a car with autoeurope, on this website, it's written Alamo, more than 1001 miles = 500$ drop off

and on the alamo website, the simulation says drop off 300$... so ?????

Except this, all is quiet prepare !!!

Reply to: trip 2014 and sturgis festival
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted