We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

Which Spearfish hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auburn, Maine
reviews: 20
Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

We are spending 3 days in the Black Hills area in early July. My mother will be with us and I would like to be able to go on a few easy hikes. I have a couple of questions. Are there many accessible hikes to start with? And is there a place where I can rent a wheelchair in the vicinity? She can walk for short distances, but in July heat I think I'd rather have her not exerting too much.

7 replies to this topic
Pitman, New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Rapid City, South Dakota
reviews: 35
1. Re: Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

I'm not sure if you saw this posting back from the summer, but here's a link to some comments about wheelchair accessible attractions in the area:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g54645-i2851-k5405…

Many of the trails in the Badlands are boardwalks and would also be accessible for her. They are also pretty short. Much of the Badlands is driving to the overlooks. I think it would be a great experience for her as long as you go early to avoid the possible heat.

I am not sure where you could rent a wheelchair. Hopefully a local will chime in for that one..

Please let us know if we can answer any additional questions.

2. Re: Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:34 am, January 29, 2014

Saint Louis...
reviews: 37
3. Re: Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

Spearfish Canyon is a great drive with some pull offs for viewing. Bridal Falls can been seen from the road. Roughlock Falls has a one mile (2miles round trip) trail that could be done by all terrain wheel chair. Or you can drive to the falls on SR 222 right off of the main road through the canyon.

Auburn, Maine
4. Re: Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

Thanks for the tips everyone!!

Stillwater...
reviews: 8
5. Re: Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

This is a link to a list of Black Hills National Forest hiking trails. It only lists 2 as handicap accessible, but lists others that are termed easy.

…usda.gov/detail/…

6. Re: Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:34 am, January 29, 2014

Auburn, Maine
7. Re: Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area

Hmmm. That might work BB B. I will look into it. Thanks.

Reply to: Wheelchair accessible hikes Black Hills area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted