We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should I stay and what should I see in Sioux Falls?

Which Sioux Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 128
Where should I stay and what should I see in Sioux Falls?

This post will be used as a link under "Top Questions". If you are not visiting Sioux Falls, please disregard.

***Lodging***

1. Budget lodging: First choice is the Brimark. No indoor pool. Located on the north side of town. Decent location for anyone using the airport. This is an older hotel that has been renovated. Relatives like it and it rates well on TA. Second choice is the Center Inn. This is handy for anyone using Avera hospital as it is part of the Avera complex. No pool. The Brimark and the Center in should be considered no-frills, yet decent, budget lodging. Do not book at these locations expecting luxury.

Somewhere between budget and middle is the Quality Inn at the interchange of I-29 and I-90. This was a ClubHouse Suites that didn't last long and was bought out by Quality Inn. Therefore, the building is better and more higher-end than your typical Quality Inn. This is a great location for anyone traveling on the previously mentioned interstates. It is basically out in the country and the only food/fuel nearby is the Flying J Truck Stop. It's also a good location for using the airport.

2. Middle of the road/more upscale: First choice is ClubHouse Suites. This is in an area with lots of stores and restaurants. The pool is geared more for the under 8 age group. It is an easy on/off via 26th St. from I-29. Other good options are the Homewood, Hilton Garden and Hampton Inns. All are on the south end of town near stores and restaurants.

3. Upscale: Sheraton. This is on the north side of town, also good for the airport. Holiday Inn Downtown. Obviously, downtown. This is a good choice for anyone doing business downtown or wanting to see Falls Park.

4. Waterpark hotels: The one that rates best and is the newest is the Holiday Inn Express in the eastern suburb of Brandon. The location is not the best for restaurants, however. It's an easy on/off from I-90. The next-best option is the Ramada (AIRPORT LOCATION). The suites are in better condition than the standard rooms. They have a separate bedroom with a door that closes. The suites are mostly poolside and do get a lot of noise from the pool area, although the door to the bedroom blocks a lot of this. The standard rooms are down quieter hallways. Reviews for this are mixed. I have noticed that it has gone downhill a bit. The pool area is still nice, however and it gets better reviews than the other waterpark in town (Ramkota). The Ramada is also a bit better than the Ramkota about letting larger families stay in one room.

*** Summer Attractions/Activities***

1. Wild Water West- Waterpark located slightly west of town. Do not go expecting Noah's Ark. Has a lazy river, wave pool, kiddie pools and waterslides.

2. Catfish Bay-Friday night waterski shows.

3. The Canaries-Entertaining minor-league baseball games.

4. The Outdoor Campus- Free. Jogging and nature trails. Some animals and exhibits inside. Allow an hour if you don't want to hike. Not an all day or even half day activity.

5. Great Plains Zoo- Small, cute zoo. Decent for a city the size of Sioux Falls. Has some rides for preschoolers. Allow a half day.

6. USS South Dakota Memorial- Replica of a battleship placed on the ground. Allow an hour or less. Free.

7. Falls Park-The best attraction Sioux Falls has to offer. Free. Free observation tower with elevator. Ice cream shop onsite in historic building. Visitor information center. Best when water levels are higher. Tip: The restrooms in the visitor center are better than the ice cream shop restroom. Evening light show has been discontinued.

***Winter/Indoor Activities/Attractions:

1. St. Joseph Cathedral. Has been recently renovated. Located in the downtown area.

2. Pettigrew House-Historic home of prominent Sioux Falls citizen.

3. Old Courthouse Museum

4. Washington Pavilion- Consists of small art gallery, cinedome with large screen (extra charge) and Kirby Science Center. The science area is very nice and has four levels of hands-on activities for kids. Healthy cafe in the same building.

5. Sky Zone- Newer indoor trampoline center.

6. Butterfly House- Small. Consists of some interactive displays in the lobby area and one room with butterflies. The butterfly room is very pretty and tropical. Wear light clothing as it gets very warm in the butterfly room. Not recommended for toddlers who might step on the butterflies or need to use a stroller. Price is high for the size of the attraction. It is located across the parking lot from the Outdoor Campus (mentioned in "summer activities").

Edited: 3:05 pm, August 09, 2013
5 replies to this topic
Mitchell, South...
1. Re: Where should I stay and what should I see in Sioux Falls?

Enjoy Catfish Bay, water skiing at its best. A good family treat they are sure to enjoy.

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
2. Re: Where should I stay and what should I see in Sioux Falls?

updated to add: The Brimark is now in the process of adding an indoor pool

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
3. Re: Where should I stay and what should I see in Sioux Falls?

Updated to add: For travelers on I-29, there is a brand new LaQuinta at the 41st St. exit on the west side of I-29. If you cross over the interstate and head east, you will find lots of stores and restaurants.

For travelers on I-90 or using the airport, there is a new Fairfield by Marriott on the north side of town. It's relatively inexpensive due to its isolated location and the fact that a lot of people don't know about it yet. There is only a sports bar nearby for dining, however. If you just need a place to crash for a good price while you're on the road or before or after a flight, this would be a good choice. If you're looking to be where the action is, this is not a good choice.

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
4. Re: Where should I stay and what should I see in Sioux Falls?

Updated to add: The Brimark Hotel is now called Dakotah Lodge.

Sioux Falls, South...
5. Re: Where should I stay and what should I see in Sioux Falls?

The Brimark recently changed their name to Dakotah Lodge. And the expansion of the indoor pool is underway!

Reply to: Where should I stay and what should I see in Sioux Falls?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted