We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?

Which Sioux Falls hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Carolina
reviews: 8
Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?

We are a family of 4 (2 older teens) travelling to a family wedding in Sioux Falls in the fall for 3 days. We can see what to do IN the city/town - -but should we be focused on something outside of the town - IS THERE anything near the city/town to see or do???

6 replies to this topic
Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
reviews: 119
1. Re: Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?

In town: Falls Park (free) is by far the best attraction. It's a bit better when the water levels are higher, but still always a great place to stop. The observation tower is also free.

The other Sioux Falls attractions are not as outstanding (in my opinion, anyway). The Empire Mall has good shopping on the south side of town. It's not the Mall of America, but it has most of the stores teens like.

You could catch a movie on the giant screen at the Cinedome in the Washington Pavilion.

The SkyZone is a relatively new, indoor trampoline center.

Are you into hiking or outdoor activities? Garretson is not far away. In Garretson, you will find Palisades State Park, which is very scenic. There is a way to do rock climbing there, but I'm not sure how this is arranged.

Edited: 10:22 pm, August 07, 2013
Pierre, South Dakota
reviews: 3
2. Re: Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?

Personally, I would much rather spend the day at the Great Plains Zoo and Delbridge museum than at Falls Park...or really anywhere else in SF.

Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
3. Re: Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?

I'm going to ignore the unncessary Sioux Falls comment.

I thought of a couple of other places outside of Sioux Falls. One is Pipestone National Monument in nearby Pipestone, MN. Definitely not an all-day activity, but it's scenic and has a bit of Native American history associated with it. It's interesting for adults, but I'm not sure about the teens.

Are your teens girls or boys? Were they ever fans of the Little House books? DeSmet is about 45 minutes north on I-29 and then about 45 minutes west on Hwy 14. There are several Laura Ingalls Wilder historic sites to visit there, including two homes they lived in. If this interests you, you will need to call ahead and check their fall hours.

West Des Moines...
reviews: 24
4. Re: Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?

Falls Park is not an all day activity but its very nice and worth a quick visit to view and have some ice cream.

Pierre, South Dakota
reviews: 3
5. Re: Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?

It was simply a matter of preference, not any sort of attack. If in Sioux Falls, I prefer to spend my free time at the zoo. Some people may share my feelings. Some people enjoy animals more than they do trampolines or waterfalls, and some don't. Just giving another option.....I didn't see the zoo listed, and I consider it to be one of SF's top attractions that can appeal to people of all age groups. I was simply sharing MY PERSONAL pov...that if I was going to be in SF, I'd prefer to spend my time at the Great Plains Zoo. I find it PERSONALLY more interesting that most other SF attractions....your mileage may very.

Edited: 3:51 am, August 10, 2013
Sioux Falls, South...
Destination Expert
for Sioux Falls
6. Re: Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?

Stratfan, I guess it is not the fact that your opinion differs. Many of us on here have different opinions. For example, the other DE's family did not care for Big Thunder Gold Mine. My family thought it was great. It is the way that the the opinion is expressed that is the issue. When you say "or anywhere else in Sioux Falls" this makes it sound as though you think everything else Sioux Falls has to offer is awful. Understandably, this is somewhat hurtful to someone who obviously likes Sioux Falls. Kind if like me saying I thought Pierre was a waste of time. Perhaps this was not your intention, and if not, I apologize. I guess when I disagree with someone on here, I phrase it one of two ways: 1. "I would like to politely disagree with the comment about . . ." 2. "This is just my opinion. Others may feel differently." Also, the use of all caps is usually interpreted as yelling.

I have been on the Oahu forum and have been shocked by the way the regulars treat each other on there. I think anyone is terrified to express a dislike of the Polynesian Cultural Center. Ditto for swimming with dolphins. Go to the recent swimming with dolphins thread on there and see what I mean. I just don't want the SD forum to become like that. It has been a civil place until recently. Truce?

Reply to: Sioux Falls for 3 days - what do you do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted